2017 Gavitt Games Schedule

throwback

19 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Early diagnosis (as in, from Coach McDermott after the game) is that it was probably a high ankle sprain. Those things are tough to get over. Nebraska goes to Omaha in about 3 weeks so I'd anticipate he'll probably still be out by then, or at the very least be limited. Creighton is going to have to decide whether or not they can get by without burning the redshirt of their freshman center Jacob Epperson who is a lot like both Justin Patton and Brady Heiman in that he's really talented but very thin. Hegner would have been good for them to have against a guy like Tshimanga as he is their second-biggest body with the ability to stretch the floor.

Unless Jordy learns how to protect the basketball from getting knocked out of his hands by guards that are a foot shorter than he is, Creighton will have nothing to worry about.

Third straight year it ends in a 4-4 tie - I'm sure there's joke about kissing your sister who's a Big East fan in here somewhere, but not for me - my sister is far too smart to be a fan of the Big East or any of its teams

B1G (4)

Minnesota 86, at Providence 74

Purdue 86, at Marquette 71

at Maryland 79, Butler 65

at Illinois 82, DePaul 73

BE (4)

at Seton Hall 84, Indiana 68

Birds 92, at Northwestern 88

at St John's 79, NU 56

Xavier 80, Wisconsin 70

On 11/15/2017 at 10:15 PM, Swan88 said:

So . . . I open this thread and see that Jayskers are all agog about their team.  And then I turn on their game . . . it’s two points in the last seconds.  

And this is the same Northwestern team with that mighty 4 point win over Loyola of somewhere and 9 points over that Saint Peter of who-knows-where.

Whatever.

I'm bumping my own post here -- sorry for this breach of message board etiquette.

So . . . some disclaimers first:  The Jays are probably good; and they'll probably beat the heck out of the Huskers.

But as a follow-up to my above post, Northwestern lost, a few days ago, to Texas Tech by the score of 85-49.  Even by Husker standards of not showing up, occasionally, that's truly laying an egg.

47 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

I'm bumping my own post here -- sorry for this breach of message board etiquette.

So . . . some disclaimers first:  The Jays are probably good; and they'll probably beat the heck out of the Huskers.

But as a follow-up to my above post, Northwestern lost, a few days ago, to Texas Tech by the score of 85-49.  Even by Husker standards of not showing up, occasionally, that's truly laying an egg.

Northwestern just experienced the proverbial "Creighton slump". We've experienced it quite a bit the past few years:

- 2014-15: lost to Creighton 65-55 at home; three days later lost to Incarnate Word

- 2015-16: lost at Creighton 83-67; four days later barely beat Rhode Island (we trailed for most of the game) then lost to Samford

- 2016-17: lost to Creighton 77-62 at home; lost to Kansas three days later; then lost to Gardner-Webb

I truly believe that if we had beat Creighton in either of those seasons, the psyche of the team would have been better thus increasing the likelihood of avoiding those bad losses (Incarnate Word, Samford, Gardner-Webb). I guess what I'm saying is, watch out for UTSA on December 20th!

13 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Interesting info.  

And it’s gracious of you to sort-of include the Kansas loss in that list of shoulda’-done-better games.

The Kansas game was merely part of the timeline. The only games I feel we "shoulda'-done-better" in are the Incarnate Word, Samford, and Gardner-Webb games. My point is, the Creighton losses are hard on us every year and it takes us time to recover. I 100% agree with @49r - Tim Miles will never beat McDermott in basketball. Actually, I would guess Greg beats him in golf, too...

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

Northwestern just experienced the proverbial "Creighton slump". We've experienced it quite a bit the past few years:

- 2014-15: lost to Creighton 65-55 at home; three days later lost to Incarnate Word

- 2015-16: lost at Creighton 83-67; four days later barely beat Rhode Island (we trailed for most of the game) then lost to Samford

- 2016-17: lost to Creighton 77-62 at home; lost to Kansas three days later; then lost to Gardner-Webb

I truly believe that if we had beat Creighton in either of those seasons, the psyche of the team would have been better thus increasing the likelihood of avoiding those bad losses (Incarnate Word, Samford, Gardner-Webb). I guess what I'm saying is, watch out for UTSA on December 20th!

Nah, we'll be fine. I'll be at the UTSA game.