Bad Rules

So a poster made a comment in a thread about a rule issue - and I thought this should be it's own thread. What are the dumb bball rules, calls you hate that you think need to be looked at or adjusted?

I'll start: STOP BAILING OUT FORCED, BAD DRIVES! In my opinion, the offensive player is given far too much favor to be physical and rewarded for being out of control by the officials. There's times where I'd just swallow the whistle. 

Goal tending.  If a dude can swat away a ball, then call it good defense and move on.  Goal tending calls (like many others) are judgment calls, and bad judgment can cancel out momentum and penalize a great defensive effort.  This closely aligns with player control / blocking calls.  So much a judgment call that plays with momentum and defensive v. offensive prowess. 

The hand check call up top.  Unless it clearly affects play, let it be.  You let all sort of bumping and banging go on down low with no whistle but call it up top.

That said

1. Eliminate palming (or this version of double dribble, see I read the other post :) ) since a lot of the cross over moves include it

2. Modify what is traveling in the rulebook since it's not called as written.

Edited by colhusker

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I'll start: STOP BAILING OUT FORCED, BAD DRIVES! In my opinion, the offensive player is given far too much favor to be physical and rewarded for being out of control by the officials. There's times where I'd just swallow the whistle. 

I thought they did a bit of a better job of this last year, and it honestly hurt when our offense was pretty reliant on a guy like Tai taking sometimes forced, bad drives. But I agree with you 100% - if the offensive player is out of control, there's either no foul or an offensive foul.