uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: Introduction - (Exh.) Northwood

uneblinstu

Nebraska out-rebounded Iowa St. by 30-23.

Nebraska held its own against Mississippi St. on the boards: 37-38.

It was those monsters from Northwood that took us to the woodshed on the boards. 

And James Palmer had 4 rebounds against Iowa St., 1 rebound against Mississippi St., and 1 rebound against Northwood.

36 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Nebraska out-rebounded Iowa St. by 30-23.

Nebraska held its own against Mississippi St. on the boards: 37-38.

It was those monsters from Northwood that took us to the woodshed on the boards. 

And James Palmer had 4 rebounds against Iowa St., 1 rebound against Mississippi St., and 1 rebound against Northwood.

And that's where it's hard to tell considering this was an exhibition. Did we lose the battles in some areas because it was just an exhibition? Off lineups? Etc. Or are we lacking in some crucial areas when our top guys are out? If that's the case, my biggest concern this year are injuries... that, or players shoplifting in Shanghai.

9 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

Also - while I was not surprised that there was no "Husker Power" chant during introductions last night (I get that it was an exhibition game against Northwood).   I very sincerely hope though that the chant returns for the real games - and I have been hoping that the change at the top of the athletic department would allow a return to the cheer squad leading that Husker Power chant.  Again that was something that gave us a fairly unique identity ( and was actually more polite than the "who cares he sucks" cheers they do lots of other places).   Related to this - the absence of the Husker Power change left open room for a smattering of people doing that 3 clap golf clap deal we do during opponent introductions.  It was just a few people but you could hear it.  PLEASE do not let that become a pattern at Men's BB games.  I like and actively participate in that at women's volleyball - there it is unique and because it is done by a crowd that is much bigger and more active than those opposing players have ever seen anywhere else I think it is mildly and politely intimidating (after all no one is going to yell "Who cares she sucks" during women's volleyball introductions :) ).    If that was the procedure during a Men's basketball game where players are expecting a loud and hostile atmosphere - the opposing players would just smile and think "how lame are these fans".  Would tell them they are in for a polite game in a friendly gym.  PLEASE, PLEASE make sure that doesn't become the standard for Husker BB.

I expect it will return when the games get real again. I didn't really expect it for the exhibition. It'll have to largely be led by the student section. The rest of the crowd will readily jump in.

Edited by uneblinstu

9 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

Also - while I was not surprised that there was no "Husker Power" chant during introductions last night (I get that it was an exhibition game against Northwood).   I very sincerely hope though that the chant returns for the real games - and I have been hoping that the change at the top of the athletic department would allow a return to the cheer squad leading that Husker Power chant.  Again that was something that gave us a fairly unique identity ( and was actually more polite than the "who cares he sucks" cheers they do lots of other places).  

This will require us starting it.  I'm not sure if we can really expect to get it going until someone "good" comes to town without signs. I'll see if i can hit up the Iron N about it.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

And that's where it's hard to tell considering this was an exhibition. Did we lose the battles in some areas because it was just an exhibition? Off lineups? Etc. Or are we lacking in some crucial areas when our top guys are out? If that's the case, my biggest concern this year are injuries... that, or players shoplifting in Shanghai.

If you do get into a jam with shoplifting, I hear this new place is really good.  Check out Big Baller Bail Bonds!

In all seriousness, I hope the kids situations turn out ok.  I know that theft is a pretty heft sentence in China.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

If you do get into a jam with shoplifting, I hear this new place is really good.  Check out Big Baller Bail Bonds!

In all seriousness, I hope the kids situations turn out ok.  I know that theft is a pretty heft sentence in China.

3-20 years is what was first thrown out as a possiblity.  Has dad said anything yet? 

In all seriousness this might be a time you want to defend your family. 

Edited by Silverbacked1

I guess reading the Bleacher Report article it appears that prison time is still on the table.  It would seem that what sentence they receive (if any) may depend strongly on how much China wants to continue to have US Colleges play games over there...

Edited by 49r

3 hours ago, 49r said:

I guess reading the Bleacher Report article it appears that prison time is still on the table.  It would seem that what sentence they receive (if any) may depend strongly on how much China wants to continue to have US Colleges play games over there...

it's sounding like 20 days house arrest in the hotel that they were staying at... i don't think china is going to come down hard on them given that his has become a worldwide story and they don't want to look bad.

Part of the rebounding thing according to Miles was Nebraska just got outworked. Northwood had some guys that were flying around every time a shot went up. I did see some guys get pushed around inside which isn't a good look, but I'm sure Miles showed those guys the tape and lit into them a bit. But a lot of it too was the fact that Northwood missed a ton of shots, and a lot of them were bricks from the outside which are hard to rebound because they ricochet so far out. Northwood beat Nebraska's guards to a lot of long rebounds, again a hustle thing. Don't necessarily think it was a physical incapability that will cripple the team long-term.