uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: Introduction - (Exh.) Northwood

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Pure shooting wise, I would agree.  However, I think Taylor has him in the drive and finish game right now at this point in their careers.  I think that they would be pretty even on D.  In the future, yes I agree, Allen will probably turn out to be the better player overall.  Right now I am good with having shooting coming off the bench.

Allen has his place.  Taylor can drive and finish and we need that piece to the puzzle.  His defense is substantially better than Thomas Allen at the moment, though.  And that's why he's in the starting lineup.

Allen won't start. Miles said Jack deserved the start but if they went with him they wouldn't have a direct positional sub to put on the floor for every spot. By starting Allen that left a one for one substitution option on the bench both offensively and defensively. You have a similar problem if you start Allen and Watson together, especially on the defensive end. Allen is a better shooter but when you look at turnovers (excluding last night's exhibition) and all the other things that go into being a 'good" offensive player, Evan will get the nod.

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

Allen is a better offensive player than Taylor. That's what it comes down to for me.

Manu Ginobili at 40 is still one of the best scorers in the league and he has come off the bench for the majority of his career. Coming off the bench isnt exactly a bad thing and sometimes can be good for the team.  Being the spark can really help a team, it also helps balance out the ball.  Not everyone can score at every moment so having a good glue guy out there in Taylor than can score but helps in others ways with 4 starters really helps space the floor.  You bring in Allen for him with a few other bench guys who may not be volume scorers like a Roby gives you the ability to make him become the main option on the floor which could potentially give him more looks to score than if he started.

Edited by TheKamdyMan

8 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Manu Ginobili at 40 is still one of the best scorers in the league and he has come off the bench for the majority of his career. Coming off the bench isnt exactly a bad thing and sometimes can be good for the team.  Being the spark can really help a team, it also helps balance out the ball.  Not everyone can score at every moment so having a good glue guy out there in Taylor than can score but helps in others ways with 4 starters really helps space the floor.  You bring in Allen for him with a few other bench guys who may not be volume scorers like a Roby gives you the ability to make him become the main option on the floor which could potentially give him more looks to score than if he started.

Agreed and even more so in the NBA but to some extent college, bringing a scorer of the bench will have him scoring on the other team's second unit as well.

Edited by Dean Smith

3 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Thomas Allen may be the best freshman Tim Miles has had at Nebraska. He's a big time player. Given his shooting ability, would love to see him play with Watson more. Hell, I said it months ago: Thomas Allen should start at the 2. The kid can SCORE. (And I want to keep him happy so he sticks around. Evan Taylor is a senior. He can't transfer after this year. Allen can.)

You can't make big-time decisions out of fear of a player transferring. Miles is going to do what he needs to do to give them the best chance to win this season. There are certainly ways to handle guys (for instance, some players may not react well to redshirting even if they aren't in the regular rotation; some guys need that carrot to stay engaged), but if you're deciding rotation spots based on players holding that transfer over the coach's head as a threat rather than who is the best fit, then your program is in a bad place. Allen is going to play a significant role this season. If that still isn't enough for him, then the coaches probably didn't do a great job of vetting his character before bringing him in.

It's also a tad early to declare him the best freshman ever. Glynn Watson was pretty well-regarded going into his freshman year and eventually earned his way into the starting lineup.

Let's see if Allen can string together a few good games in a row against D-I competition before crowning him. 

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Rule #47 of being a basketball fan: Never look too much into exhibition games against D2 teams. They play weird, unlike anyone you see, it's a different speed, and they have guys with different skill sets at strange heights. 

That being said - if 100 is full optimism, and I was at like an 84 optimism level, I'm probably at like an 82 optimism after that. 

What's rule #29?

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

It's be great if Allen can settle somewhere between Glynn and Joe McCray's freshmen seasons. That's a big ask for freshmen at Nebraska. Haven't had many that could do it.

My expectations are that Allen will come in and spell Watson for stretches, perhaps playing alongside another ball-handler like Taylor or Palmer. He'll come in, knock down a few shots and probably have a double-digit game every now and then. That alone would be a huge upgrade for this team compared to what they've had coming off the bench behind their point guards recently. Anything more than that is just gravy.

16 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

My expectations are that Allen will come in and spell Watson for stretches, perhaps playing alongside another ball-handler like Taylor or Palmer. He'll come in, knock down a few shots and probably have a double-digit game every now and then. That alone would be a huge upgrade for this team compared to what they've had coming off the bench behind their point guards recently. Anything more than that is just gravy.

IDK, I think a guy that was a 4 star coming out of high school who "turned down Kansas" is gonna carry a bit higher expectations for most. But if he does what you say, he'll probably settle in somewhere between Glynn and McCray, which is something not a lot of freshmen around here have done.

Edited by uneblinstu

32 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

There's no such rule as "over the back", so don't scream it from the 300 level every time someone on your team gets beat for a rebound.

Can we talk about how annoying this is? Because, I understand there is no rule against it technically, but it literally gets called as such every single game. And, on that note, there SHOULD BE an over the back rule. If someone is putting in the effort to actually box-out, and the other rebounder breaks the vertical plane established while going for the ball - it should be called. Effort should always be rewarded. 

Also WHILE WE'RE AT IT - there's no such thing as carrying or palming. It's a double dribble. And should be hand signed as such. 

Edited by basketballjones

13 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Can we talk about how annoying this is? Because, I understand there is no rule against it technically, but it literally gets called as such every single game. And, on that note, there SHOULD BE an over the back rule. If someone is putting in the effort to actually box-out, and the other rebounder breaks the vertical plane established while going for the ball - it should be called. Effort should always be rewarded. 

Also WHILE WE'RE AT IT - there's no such thing as carrying or palming. It's a double dribble. And should be hand signed as such. 

I think if they break the vertical plane that does qualify as a foul, it is just not technically called over the back.

Now this is a question: A long time ago when I was still coaching they decided carry the ball would now be double dribble and would be called as such. That lasted one year and they went back to carrying the ball. I have not been to a rules meeting in well over a decade. Have they moved back to no carrying and everything is a double dribble again?

28 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I think if they break the vertical plane that does qualify as a foul, it is just not technically called over the back.

Now this is a question: A long time ago when I was still coaching they decided carry the ball would now be double dribble and would be called as such. That lasted one year and they went back to carrying the ball. I have not been to a rules meeting in well over a decade. Have they moved back to no carrying and everything is a double dribble again?

You're correct. There is no "over the back" foul, but the act of going over someone's back (thus creating contact) is still a foul. Just like "reach" isn't a foul, but the act of reaching in on a ball-handler and making contact on the arms is a foul. "Over the back" and "reach" are just the common way to refer to those fouls because that's what it looks like.

As for carrying, it is not mentioned in the public rules for the NBA. The act we call carrying would seemingly fall under the double-dribble or traveling rules. Don't know about lower levels.

4 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

I loved how good Palmer was in getting out in transition, seemed like every time we got a rebound he was at half court ready for the outlet and a 1-1 at the rim. Seemed like most of his points where transition baskets at the rim

I really hate to say this, but perhaps James was not supposed to be that far down the court, IF his man was one of those that was contributing to the 20+ offensive rebounds by Northwood.  That said, I did like our up tempo style. 

2 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

All you NBA old timers think: "Downtown" Freddy Brown with the Super Sonics, & Junior Bridgeman with the Bucks.

Oh and another thing...the new Public Address announcer IS NOT growing on me, or those fans around me.  It is a joke the way he growls names.  Sorry, I am sure many love him,  and in the grand scheme of things, it is not a biggie, but I cannot believe this gentleman is the best that can be found. 

33 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Oh and another thing...the new Public Address announcer IS NOT growing on me, or those fans around me.  It is a joke the way he growls names.  Sorry, I am sure many love him,  and in the grand scheme of things, it is not a biggie, but I cannot believe this gentleman is the best that can be found. 

Do we know what happened to the last one? I really enjoyed him. The new guy is horrible at things like "Thomas Allen for..." Just sounds so unnatural when he says it.

53 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Do we know what happened to the last one? I really enjoyed him. The new guy is horrible at things like "Thomas Allen for..." Just sounds so unnatural when he says it.

I agree with this.  Liked the former announcer (Doc Winiger) much better than whoever had that job last night.

But a couple of other things that concerned me (outside of the rebounding) last night:

I was shocked to notice last night that the back of the tickets no longer provide for a free Runza when we get to 65 points.   There is still a Runza promotion - but doesn't depend on the outcome of the game or any point total.  WTF ???    Did Runza get cheap on us or is this somehow a University change.  Hate the fact that we will no longer be able to get that "Runza" announcement over the PA when we hit 65 points.  That was obviously unique - the kind of thing that creates an identity in the program.  (Plus I am going to miss getting the free Runzas).

Also - while I was not surprised that there was no "Husker Power" chant during introductions last night (I get that it was an exhibition game against Northwood).   I very sincerely hope though that the chant returns for the real games - and I have been hoping that the change at the top of the athletic department would allow a return to the cheer squad leading that Husker Power chant.  Again that was something that gave us a fairly unique identity ( and was actually more polite than the "who cares he sucks" cheers they do lots of other places).   Related to this - the absence of the Husker Power change left open room for a smattering of people doing that 3 clap golf clap deal we do during opponent introductions.  It was just a few people but you could hear it.  PLEASE do not let that become a pattern at Men's BB games.  I like and actively participate in that at women's volleyball - there it is unique and because it is done by a crowd that is much bigger and more active than those opposing players have ever seen anywhere else I think it is mildly and politely intimidating (after all no one is going to yell "Who cares she sucks" during women's volleyball introductions :) ).    If that was the procedure during a Men's basketball game where players are expecting a loud and hostile atmosphere - the opposing players would just smile and think "how lame are these fans".  Would tell them they are in for a polite game in a friendly gym.  PLEASE, PLEASE make sure that doesn't become the standard for Husker BB.

OK sorry about ranting so long about non-play activities that I know are obviously not that important by themselves - although I sincerely don't think you can underestimate the importance of a good lively basketball atmosphere in the arena in fighting fan apathy and helping the team win.

14 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I really hate to say this, but perhaps James was not supposed to be that far down the court, IF his man was one of those that was contributing to the 20+ offensive rebounds by Northwood.  That said, I did like our up tempo style. 

Exactly. That's the tradeoff we've had to make: Is our defense and rebounding good enough to run? If we're getting beat on the boards consistently, then Jim isn't going to be getting out front on the break. And if we can't stop people one on one consistently, then we'll be keeping people in tight to cut off drives.

It's not a matter of not wanting to run, it's a matter of not being able to run because other deficiencies. I know the exhibitions are fun to watch to see who can score, but the bigger question is who can we stop?