Northwood VS. Nebraska (Exhibition) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

16 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

What line are we referring to?

Freethrow line extended, probably.

Which reminds me:  We really seem to be trying to feed the post but Jordy keeps on receiving the ball outside the lane and can't maneuver himself to get close enough for a square up kind of shot.

And I've been meaning to ask you about this because Jordy seems to like doing a "hook shot" flip over his shoulder where he uses the width of his shoulders to create separation rather than getting a step on his defender and coming square with his chest.

What do you think about that?

I tend to prefer a hook shot where your body is rotating toward the basket and comes almost square to the shot.  Jordy's shoulders tend to be perpendicular to the backboard (or parallel to the line of the shot) with a defender on his hip.

Thoughts?

Edited by Norm Peterson

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

I agree, Norm.  In the little I've actually seen, I think Thor seems to be a pretty high upside guy.  No problem at all with the use of a scholarship on him from me.  None.

Agreed.  I totally don't get the dissing on Thor.  He's a true freshman who played a lot better than a lot of other true freshmen have played in exhibition games at the beginning of their careers here.  I don't know, were people not watching the same game I was?  Maybe I thought he played relatively well because I wasn't expecting him to look like a junior transfer.

16 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I think what he meant to say is that you're being a total douche.

A little harsh man.  Let me give you a run down.  These types of things happen every year.  I see that you're just a little over a year old on the board.  The negative comments were here when I first signed up and I am sure they were here before me as well.  They will also probably always be here.  Sometimes we just have to have something to complain about.  However, when someone gets tired of the negative stuff, they will call someone out on it.  Doesn't mean that we have to start calling any of our Nebrasketball brothers names.  Some of us are natural sunshine pumpers.  Some of us are the exact opposite.  We all have gotten called out before and we will get called out in the future as well.  Such is the nature of the board.

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Freethrow line extended, probably.

Which reminds me:  We really seem to be trying to feed the post but Jordy keeps on receiving the ball outside the lane and can't maneuver himself to get close enough for a square up kind of shot.

And I've been meaning to ask you about this because Jordy seems to like doing a "hook shot" flip over his shoulder where he uses the width of his shoulders to create separation rather than getting a step on his defender and coming square with his chest.

What do you think about that?

I tend to prefer a hook shot where your body is rotating toward the basket and comes almost square to the shot.  Jordy's shoulders tend to be perpendicular to the backboard (or parallel to the line of the shot) with a defender on his hip.

Thoughts?

Again very small sample size (meaning I can totally change my mind later and you can't hold it against me), but I believe Duby has a better post game than Jordy right now. The jump hook Jordy is using is like the one Danny Nee taught where you make a V with your arms and do not rotate the shoulders. Greg McDermott favors the one you are referring to. He actually teaches that you clear out with your inside arm as you are rotating on the shot. He acknowledges that should be a foul but says he has never seen it called. This is the one I taught for years because it is easier and I never saw a foul called on it either. The V jump hook is completely foreign to the regular jump shot and you are starting from scratch. The rotating the shoulders version is the same motion as your regular shot and players naturally pick it up quicker. The V does provide more separation from the defense but the clear out takes care of that in McDermott's variation. (I'm sure he didn't invent it). 

Now to Jordy being pushed out. Almost every coach attempts to teach post moves. I personally don't believe enough time and effort is given to this by most coaches. But very few coaches teach the art of gaining and holding prime post position past the duck in. I was fortunate enough to hear Hubbie Brown speak a couple of times and he had that broken down into an art form. He had an entire progression based upon the defenses' reaction to what you were doing to gain post position.

Edited by Dean Smith

The game will come to each individual, at his own time, according to his mental and physical gifts.  Not everyone, certainly not freshman, are ready the first time they step on the court.  I think we saw a perfect example of this last night.  For Thomas Allen, it came almost instant.  Granted he's still got a ways to go, but he's definitely ready to play now.  Nana and Thor were both trying to make things happen, and have things come to them naturally and instinctively, as it did for them in high school, but at this point for them the hill to climb is more mental than physical. 

3 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Realism does not equal negativity. So calling someone out for being negative seems like a wast of time. If you don't like what someone posted, then don't react or quote. I'll start following my own advice, too.

Also, in addition to what hskr4life said, some people don't like it when people take shots at players that seem unfair.  Especially new players.  Like saying we wasted a scholarship on Thor after one exhibition game.  And if someone has a history of doing that kind of thing, it might cause others to have a short fuse with that person.

In fairness, I think nustudent's posting habits have come a long way from some of the vituperative attacks we've seen in the past -- accusing Brian Diaz of "pussitis" for example.  I would probably not have said it 5 years ago, but I will say it now that I've enjoyed reading most of nustudent's takes over the last couple of seasons.

On the other hand, I also get why Dean would not suffer that kind of thing gladly.

My biggest take away from last night is that we still don't run much of an offense. It seems like most of the pressure to score is put on one guy. (Petteway in 14-15. Shields in 15-16. White didn't want the role, so Webster got it in 16-17. This year it's Palmer.)

There is no action in the high post (where Copeland could be very versatile). Even Shields operated from the three-point line, resulting in an extra dribble (which isn't what you want with a player who isn't a great ball handler - like Copeland).

Miles is a good defensive coach, but ever since Craig Smith left (after 13-14), we've been pretty one-dimensional and easy to defend.

And why does nobody ever use a pump-fake?

Edited by dustystehl

Interesting observation, @dustystehl.  I think it was a lot better with Glynn Watson running the offense against MSU.  There was a lot of really good ball movement creating open looks.  

I'd also like to see more mid-range looks from Copeland.  One of Shavon Shields' greatest strengths was his mid-range game.  If we see much zone this year, I think Copeland should be a pretty good weapon for popping to the high post and either high-low to Jordy or shoot the mid-range J.  He should also have open looks from around the short corners.  I'd heard he's money from 15 feet in.  I'd like to see it.

24 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Again very small sample size (meaning I can totally change my mind later and you can't hold it against me), but I believe Duby has a better post game than Jordy right now. The jump hook Jordy is using is like the one Danny Nee taught where you make a V with your arms and do not rotate the shoulders. Greg McDermott favors the one you are referring to. He actually teaches that you clear out with your inside arm as you are rotating on the shot. He acknowledges that should be a foul but says he has never seen it called. This is the one I taught for years because it is easier and I never saw a foul called on it either. The V jump hook is completely foreign to the regular jump shot and you are starting from scratch. The rotating the shoulders version is the same motion as your regular shot and players naturally pick it up quicker. The V does provide more separation from the defense but the clear out takes care of that in McDermott's variation. (I'm sure he didn't invent it). 

Now to Jordy being pushed out. Almost every coach attempts to teach post moves. I personally don't believe enough time and effort is given to this by most coaches. But very few coaches teach the art of gaining and holding prime post position past the duck in. I was fortunate enough to hear Hubbie Brown speak a couple of times and he had that broken down into an art form. He had an entire progression based upon the defenses' reaction to what you were doing to gain post position.

The other thing that style of hook shot allows you to do is an up-and-under move.  You rotate into that hook shot and if you pump and the defender bites, you step through for a layup.  Have to be able to finger roll with your off hand, but Jordy ought to be able to do that.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Also, in addition to what hskr4life said, some people don't like it when people take shots at players that seem unfair.  Especially new players.  Like saying we wasted a scholarship on Thor after one exhibition game.  And if someone has a history of doing that kind of thing, it might cause others to have a short fuse with that person.

In fairness, I think nustudent's posting habits have come a long way from some of the vituperative attacks we've seen in the past -- accusing Brian Diaz of "pussitis" for example.  I would probably not have said it 5 years ago, but I will say it now that I've enjoyed reading most of nustudent's takes over the last couple of seasons.

On the other hand, I also get why Dean would not suffer that kind of thing gladly.

" Vituperative."  I had to look that one up.  Thanks Norm. 

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Interesting observation, @dustystehl.  I think it was a lot better with Glynn Watson running the offense against MSU.  There was a lot of really good ball movement creating open looks.  

I'd also like to see more mid-range looks from Copeland.  One of Shavon Shields' greatest strengths was his mid-range game.  If we see much zone this year, I think Copeland should be a pretty good weapon for popping to the high post and either high-low to Jordy or shoot the mid-range J.  He should also have open looks from around the short corners.  I'd heard he's money from 15 feet in.  I'd like to see it.

I agree that Watson will help facilitate the offense, but, again, we can't put that on one player. What I observed last night (and the previous three seasons) is a systemic issue.

I hope you're right about Copeland, but if he's "money" from mid-range, why is he hanging out on three-point line shooting threes? Wouldn't it make more sense to put him in a position where he can be most successful? Right now, it doesn't seem like the three-point line is the best place for Copeland.

Early in the game, they tried to run the offense through Jordy. That didn't work very well. We don't need Jordy to be a scorer. Especially if you have Watson, Allen, and Palmer on the floor with him. Jordy will be most effective as a defender and rebounder (both offensively and defensively). Maybe Jordy just had the worst game of his career last night, but he certainly didn't play or look like a Big Ten center. And that is worrisome to me.

3 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I agree that Watson will help facilitate the offense, but, again, we can't put that on one player. What I observed last night (and the previous three seasons) is a systemic issue.

I hope you're right about Copeland, but if he's "money" from mid-range, why is he hanging out on three-point line shooting threes? Wouldn't it make more sense to put him in a position where he can be most successful? Right now, it doesn't seem like the three-point line is the best place for Copeland.

Early in the game, they tried to run the offense through Jordy. That didn't work very well. We don't need Jordy to be a scorer. Especially if you have Watson, Allen, and Palmer on the floor with him. Jordy will be most effective as a defender and rebounder (both offensively and defensively). Maybe Jordy just had the worst game of his career last night, but he certainly didn't play or look like a Big Ten center. And that is worrisome to me.

I was a little worried as well.  I thought Jordy could dominate last night.  I think the coaches thought so too.  In situations like that, I will say we do need Jordy to be a scorer.  Teams like last night having to double team a "scoring" Jordy would open up a lot for the players who you really need to score.  However, if teams know they can take Jordy one-on-one and not double, it will be a lot harder for our guards.

So I agree that I was a little worried.  We don't need Jordy to be our leading scorer.  However, we do need him to be a scorer.

38 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I love your reasoning for this! Do you think Duby should be starting over Jordy?

11 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

This is a result of them out-rebounding us. They had a lot of offensive rebounds and second-chance points. If we had rebounded better, Northwood would have taken fewer shots.

That's part of it. It also means they missed a lot of shots. We made 6 more while attempting 15 fewer.

Finish at the rim in the first half and this is a 40 point laugher. We haven't done that in a while.