Northwood Pregame notes

hhcmatt

• Gill and Roby probably won't play. Gill has some knee/groin soreness. Roby injured his finger joint 3 weeks back and re-aggravated on the backboard during that scrimmage.  Seems like both guys would be playing if this game counted
  • Miles has mentioned redshirting to Nana and Thorir but not discussed. Thinks that most guy's first reaction is to not redshirt so wanted to let it simmer a bit before having the actual discussion.

With Gill's injury history I think Nana should be ready to play. However, he's gotta be ok that some games he might only see 2-3 minutes depending on if his jumper is hitting. Hopefully he understands that Gill and Taylor are gone next year and that the responsibility load will be high for 2018-19

Edited by rwhiston

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

And, FWIW, Nana & Thor could play tomorrow and still be redshirted. With both Gill & Roby out, it does seem likely that at least one of them will play against Northwood (presuming the game is out of reach at some point).

If we can't get that thing to the point where Malcolm Laws gets playing time we're not doing it right.

Northwood coached by former Husker Jeff Rekeweg: http://www.gonorthwood.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/rekeweg?view=bio

Defeated Bob Devaney's alma mater, Alma, by 29 in first exhibition, but lost by 9 points to Central Michigan in second exhibition: http://www.gonorthwood.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/schedule

Picked to finish 5th of 6 teams in South Division of Great Lakes Conference: http://www.gonorthwood.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20171025gtw4du

Edited by jayschool

2 hours ago, rwhiston said:

With Gill's injury history I think Nana should be ready to play. However, he's gotta be ok that some games he might only see 2-3 minutes depending on if his jumper is hitting. Hopefully he understands that Gill and Taylor are gone next year and that the responsibility load will be high for 2018-19

Good take, and if the kids understand their roles, this would be sort of the perfect scenario.  Yet I keep thinking back to Mikki Moore and wonder...what if he would have played one more year with us.  His freshman year was a total waste.

13 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Good take, and if the kids understand their roles, this would be sort of the perfect scenario.  Yet I keep thinking back to Mikki Moore and wonder...what if he would have played one more year with us.  His freshman year was a total waste.

I truly believe that had Mikki redshirted his first year, we would have that elusive NCAA tournament victory.  We were very talented during what would have been his redshirt senior year.  With him, it would have been ridiculous.  

26 minutes ago, HB said:

I truly believe that had Mikki redshirted his first year, we would have that elusive NCAA tournament victory.  We were very talented during what would have been his redshirt senior year.  With him, it would have been ridiculous.  

A red shirt would have helped Wes Wilkinson as well.

1 hour ago, HB said:

The NIT Championship team had the talent to make a Sweet Sixteen run had it not been for their "Mutiny on the Bounty" episode during the season. Woulda , coulda, shoulda, the Mantra for Husker Basketball.