Row6Seat10 Musings

Red Don

Well now that everyone should be home from the Exhibition Game, I thought it might be good to start a thread with comments on the games and the progress of the WBB program.  Since Row6Seat10 isn’t here to share his views maybe it should be called “Row6Seat10 Musings” (I’m sure he is here in spirit :nod:)  This way anyone can jump in or start a thread if they want to talk further about the respectuve games. 

(Sorry to be such a copy-cat of the MBB forum, uneblinstu, :Redface:)

So what do You think of the Minnesota-Mankato game?  First, it’s really nice to see the Ladies back on the court.  It is especially good to see Rachel Blackburn return to the game.  Her leadership and skills have been missed; she should be a major factor in the success of the team this year.  Everyone looked good coming out of the box this game (the closed-scrimmage @ Iowa State really helped in getting ready for the season). 

With the returning , and incoming, talent this year, things are looking UP for the season.  Newcomers (Kate Cain, Taylor Kissinger and Bria Stallworth) put on quite a show and will be valuable contributors during the season.  All the returners  came on Strong too and had a good day.   Ladies were deadly from the three, (11 of 28 (39%), and 72% from the free throw line.  Double-digit scorers were Taylor Kissinger (22 pts),  Hannah Whitish & Bria Stallworth (15 pts ea), and Maddie Simon (11 pts.), followed by Jas Cincore (8 pts) & Emily Wood with 6 pts.  Total Rebounds were 50 and 20 assists.  . Glad to see Darrien Washington get a lot of playing time, 6 rbs & 2 assists.

No Nicea sighting (ankle) or Janay Morton (foot).  Hope they recover from their injuries  and return to the floor soon.

Eager to see the players’ stats & minutes. (Maybe Bugeaters1 can find and post the Full BoxScore ;)).

The  first question is:  How soon will we exceed the total number of wins last season?:D

:DYour take-aways?????

Edited by Red Don

As I stated in the game thread, 72.2 % from the charity stripe will keep the Huskers in some games this year. One other thing is that it looks like it will be a long bench again this year. I know some people don't that that is a good idea, but with the type of game coach wants to play it will tire them out and will need the all of the bench.

Edited by Bugeaters1

A lot more hustle this year on defense especially inside.  The guards showing the added year of experience.  Nicea and Janay will add a whole lot to the team in leadership and experience.  We can afford to bring them back cautiously so they are fully healed for conference games.

Although only playing a Division II team still a nice win.

3 hours ago, huskerfrank said:

Jasmine, Maddie, Hannah, Bria, and Taylor all had great games.   I realize the posts are not our strongest offensive players, but the ball never goes from the wing into the post.  Must be frustrating for them. Great to see transition baskets and 39% from 3 is outstanding. 

That might be about to change a little, with the addition of post players like Kate and our other 'Bigs.'

What stood out to me was that the girls seemed to be playing with an intensity and speed that was completely absent last year.  Of course, Rachel's presence alone would ratchet up the intensity.   Without Jessica there seemed to be more teamwork on offense than last year.  The defensive intensity and effort was significantly more evident this year (and this was just an exhibition game).  I don't know what the win/loss totals will be this year but this team is going to be much more fun to watch.

imo, seems like coach williams is a little more comfortable in front of the mic this season discussing her squad. by that i mean she feels like this is truly "her team" now. she is very good with words------------not surprising coming from someone who chose the coaching profession over med school. and, if it's true what i heard, mom wasn't too happy about that in the beginning. :D 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Has anyone else noticed our rise in the Sagarin Ratings lately!  :blink:  :eek::confused::confused::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Here are the ratings for the Husker Ladies: (3-0)

#167  @  4/7/17 (end of last season))

#128  @ 11/17/17

#  64  @ 11/18/17 (this morning)

And here are the corresponding ratings for the Lady Bluejays (1-1)

# 36  @ 4/17/17

# 64  @ 11/17/17

# 98  @  11/18/17

The upcoming game vs Creighton Sunday @ PBA is shaping up to be an early-season  Showdown!

GOOOOO Husker Ladies! 

:wub:

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

Edited by Red Don

On 11/11/2017 at 6:03 AM, whoopdeedoo said:

imo, seems like coach williams is a little more comfortable in front of the mic this season discussing her squad. by that i mean she feels like this is truly "her team" now. she is very good with words------------not surprising coming from someone who chose the coaching profession over med school. and, if it's true what i heard, mom wasn't too happy about that in the beginning. :D 

Did not know this, very funny. Such a cool basketball family though, I'm guessing Dad was behind her all the way. Seeing how both sisters are coaches and all.

Cool part of the radio broadcast was Coach talking about her Dad's commentary on Taylor's "layups" when her feet are set. Shout out to Spearfish peeps.:D

Edited by hoop_head