How much will our WBB defense improve?

HUD

I'm throwing out this topic for discussion since defense is often overlooked with greater emphasis on offense at least by some of the fans.  Last year we were weak inside and out.  

A key to winning a lot more games will be how well we can stop other teams.  Last year due to our inexperience at guard we could see a weakness there.  This will be improved with most players coming back having another year to get stronger and understand what it takes to play in the big ten.  I think our biggest weakness last year on defense was at the post and forward position.  When you have the number two recruit in the nation now as a sophomore on your team you would expect a lot better defense out of that player.  Blocked shots is a good  indicator of desire to play defense.  7 blocked shots in 29 games tells the story for Jess.  Also even though Allie after 4 years tried she was just not built for playing tough defense inside.  We had decent offense out of those two but suffered on the defensive side.  Instead of having Jess for 2 more years we now get Kate for 4 which excites me.  May not be the caliber of Jess on offense but will prove to be much better on defense. GBR

Defense hopefully will improve inside with having Cain even though she is a freshman and may not see the floor a lot at least at first.  Rachel being back should definitely help if she can stay healthy.  Not sure who else could "mix it up" in the middle Washington and maybe Maddie.  I think the effort and tenacity will be there with the defense including the perimeter, quickness on the perimeter may be an issue we shall see.  Morton looks to be a really good defensive player with quickness on the perimeter as Eliely showed to be.  Not sure where some players will play yet others here who follow more closely may know.

Edited by mwm89

On 11/8/2017 at 12:58 PM, swmckewon said:

It'll improve in part because the offense gets better. If Nebraska's not turning the ball over 17 times per game, creating easy scoring opps for the opponents, it'll help. 

Great point and very true.  You can see already that as a team we are more confident, faster (Bria has really helped) and play well together helping each other out.  We are still very young but trending upwards.  Looking for a increased amount of steals and blocked shots.

Coach Amy has said cutting down turn overs, and improving defense is one of the many important goals for this team , and on going to future teams. Last year we didn't have a strong interior defender. Jess was focused about getting points and not fouling out apparently.

Now we have more experienced and capable guards. That in itself should improve the turnover battle. And we were a new team & coaches starting from scratch, and lots of freshmen..... with lots to learn. I just don't put to much value in what happened last year, other than we improved. 

Rachel wasn't able to play last year, but will this year, and now there's a 6-5 newbie in Cain, that already shows she can shore up the middle. All that plus a strong emphasis on defense from Coach will change things defensively. Defense is a mind set that is usually taught. If you don't play hard defense and you will have trouble being competitive.

The future indicates the recruits have some good size, and can rebound. And look to be in the B1G mold. 

The pieces are coming together team wise. Another year or two we will be vastly different...and competitive in the B1G.

Edited by redsteve

20 hours ago, HUD said:

Great point and very true.  You can see already that as a team we are more confident, faster (Bria has really helped) and play well together helping each other out.  We are still very young but trending upwards.  Looking for a increased amount of steals and blocked shots.

and it's going to help the defense, especially,  to get janay and nicea back. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I listened to most of it.  UMKC got to the line a lot - 16 of 21 at the line.  We were 4 of 9 at the line.  Didn't realize Grace fouled out until I saw the box score.  Taylor had 4, Rachel had 3, then just 1 or 2 for everyone else.  Sounded like we were giving them too much space to shoot from the outside early in the game and UMKC was knocking down some shots they don't normally hit.  I don't think UMKC is a very good team so I was surprised they hung with us in the first half.  Hopefully we start to gel a bit better on defense and take care of the ball a bit better.

Better be ready for Creighton.  I watched a lot of their game against USD last night.  They have a really speedy guard that finishes well and draws fouls, and another athletic gal that was active on both offense and defense and will give us fits (Agnew maybe?).  Other than that I wasn't all that impressed, and the refs had some highly questionable calls in Creighton's favor several times throughout the game.  They have players with loose feet but were rarely called for traveling.  USD got up by around 10-12 points and kept it there up until the final few minutes and let it slip down to a 3-4 point game, but then they managed to get it together and finish the game out.  However, if Agnew hadn't fouled out, I'm not sure USD wins that game.  USD called for a number of fouls late that were clearly charges on Creighton.  When a CU player lifts her arm up and hits you in the chin to knock you out of the way, that is an offensive foul.  Someone needs to tell the refs that.

Also, I like seeing that we are using several players and nobody is playing much more than 25 minutes a game.  I just think that will help us out in the long run - less wear and tear on our athletes.  And I like seeing multiple people step up and score.  Taylor was a bit off last weekend and Bria and Kate were big for us.  Last night Taylor was big along with Maddie and Grace.  Makes it hard for other teams to scout us.  And in another few weeks we will have two more players available.  I like it. 

I couldn't watch the game last night, but watched the replays on the Husker site.  Looks from the replays anyway, we're driving much better to the basket.  Looking for open players is becoming much more in play. ...assists.

Did anyone else notice  Kissinger driving to the basket with both right and left hands.  Shoots right handed, but can use both hands dribbling.  She's obviously  going to have 4 years for the Husker record books. She has a complete game,....maybe more so than any true freshman in many years. Cain and Taylor are from the get go.... go to players already. (I'm biased though)

Maddie looks to be a force this year. Her change in position to forward better fits her game, and her gives her more opportunities to rebound.  Coach Amy's game style is ideal for Maddie's skills and mindset.  Really great to see her athleticism put to work.

Coming together as a team very, very nicely !

Not that I'm counting......but anybody notice we're 3-0.  Last years win record is being threatened already. :D:D:D 

Edited by redsteve

21 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Not that I'm counting......but anybody notice we're 3-0.  Last years win record is being threatened already. :D:D:D 

Whoa there Red Steve!   I love how you're thinking, but I don't think we get to count the exhibition game against Mankato State....:)

We still have a long ways to go but I love how our players really hustle and care about each other.  You can see it in their unselfish play.  Our team is very young and will continue to learn more about each other and about the higher level of competition facing us.  The next two games should give us a good indicator on our progress.

I couldn't watch the game last night, but watched the replays on the Husker site.  Looks from the replays anyway, we're driving much better to the basket.  Looking for open players is becoming much more in play. ...assists.

Did anyone else notice  Kissinger driving to the basket with both right and left hands.  Shoots right handed, but can use both hands dribbling.  She's obviously  going to have 4 years for the Husker record books. She has a complete game,....maybe more so than any true freshman in many years. Cain and Taylor are from the get go.... go to players already. (I'm biased though)

Maddie looks to be a force this year. Her change in position to forward better fits her game, and her gives her more opportunities to rebound.  Coach Amy's game style is ideal for Maddie's skills and mindset.  Really great to see her athleticism put to work.

Not that I'm counting......but anybody notice we're 3-0.  Last years win record is being threatened already.  
Kissinger can finish with her left hand as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 3:36 PM, HUD said:

I'm throwing out this topic for discussion since defense is often overlooked with greater emphasis on offense at least by some of the fans.  Last year we were weak inside and out.  

A key to winning a lot more games will be how well we can stop other teams.  Last year due to our inexperience at guard we could see a weakness there.  This will be improved with most players coming back having another year to get stronger and understand what it takes to play in the big ten.  I think our biggest weakness last year on defense was at the post and forward position.  When you have the number two recruit in the nation now as a sophomore on your team you would expect a lot better defense out of that player.  Blocked shots is a good  indicator of desire to play defense.  7 blocked shots in 29 games tells the story for Jess.  Also even though Allie after 4 years tried she was just not built for playing tough defense inside.  We had decent offense out of those two but suffered on the defensive side.  Instead of having Jess for 2 more years we now get Kate for 4

I went back and reread this post that came out before our first game.  As noted my big concern was interior defense which wasn't very good last year for those reasons noted.  I had hopes with the returning players at those positions and the addition of Kate Cain that things would improve.  Those hopes have been met and far surpassed.  All the players including the full time use of Maddie there have played well and are ready at any time to mix it up.  All five return next year as well.  Hopefully Rachel's knees are doing ok because we need her leadership on the team.

I was just thinking about our team after the Drake game this past weekend.  I will be honest - I did not expect us to win that game going in, especially when I heard Kissinger was still out.  IIRC, Drake kind of beat us bad last year on our home court, so I wouldn't have been surprised with a 15 point loss on their home court this year.  The team that was on the court this past Saturday had the same personnel, minus Shepard and Havers, plus Stallworth and Morton off the bench and Cain, a true freshman who joined the team late in the summer. 

But the team battled, didn't quit, the coach even battled after that idiot call to end regulation, Cain fouled out with 3 minutes left in 2nd OT, I thought then we would struggle, but the team toughed it out and won that game.  There were so many times that we could have lost that game Saturday, but each time we found an answer.  That was missing last year, big time.

Cain has been huge for us, I would trade Shepard in a heartbeat for Cain any day of the week.  And the thing is - she will continue to get better.  She is a smart player, she plays great defense, she has a tremendous attitude, she is a great teammate, and she is a Nebraska Cornhusker.

i'm going to date myself here a bit but back in 1967 I was living in Seattle Wa. and we just were awarded an expansion Pro team the Seattle Supersonics.  My buddy and I each bought a season ticket for 41 home games at the cost of $102.50 for the season.  That team was made up of players that were available from other teams in a draft process.  i will never forget those early seasons out there especially when the great Lenny Wilkins came in as player coach.  They basically played hard and for each other with great team chemistry.  This NU WBB team plays the same way.  It's the type of ball that the fans will fall in love with.  We're not world beaters yet but congrats to coach Williams for getting the players on the same page in her second year.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:38 PM, huskerchode said:

Cain has been huge for us, I would trade Shepard in a heartbeat for Cain any day of the week.  And the thing is - she will continue to get better.  She is a smart player, she plays great defense, she has a tremendous attitude, she is a great teammate, and she is a Nebraska Cornhusker.

Amen.

Here's a quote from RedSteve in the Drake Game Thread!

we are learning how to gut it out and win.  It's not all the way done....we need to learn to play above the other team earlier...shoot free throws for 70-80%...and get more accurate shooting in general (today we were better)...better at driving the lane.....etc etc  There's always stuff to do better, but it is coming together.

The keys seem to have been Jazz and Maddie tuning it up a notch, and Cain's addition. Nicea's getting into the flow after her injury. And of course Taylor's offense.

But, Hannahs the glue that makes this team work.

They just seem to look like thy're more purposeful ... like they're more together as a team....not feeling their way through the games. As a fan that's very encouraging.

Everyone seems to have stepped up their game.  Good Teams seem to make each individual player better.   :)