Sign in to follow this  
AuroranHusker

2018-19 Husker opponents

Many of us will have to agree to disagree. I believe eye test is an important part of the process.  I do not need metrics to tell me what my brain, experience or eyes tell me.  Metrics can confirm what I see, but metrics will not direct my thoughts.

It is sort of like leveraging a political columnist to direct my vote.  If I am incapable of looking, listening and weighing what a candidate says and stands for, then perhaps I shouldn't be voting.  Those that cannot understand what is going on, either athletically or politically, are lead to the opinion of others or metrics and statistics that others deem important.

Sorry for the rant...but dang, sometimes stats cannot tell the story.  I detest Aaron Craft.  His stats were mostly unimpressive,  yet he may have been the most valuable player on his team.  In general, a team may just by, while winning early games, but in the end, they may be the best team out there.  I always detested but admired Barry and his Oklahoma football teams.  At the beginning of the season they typically squeezed out wins.  The Huskers would be salvating,  thinking this will be the year.  Then come game time the Sooners would beat us like a flipping drum.  Oh well, enough.

Edited by Huskerpapa

For me they eye test gets interesting..

My Hypothical example:  you can watch a game and wow North Carolina is stacked and they are a great team, they played Boston College and man they are gritty but not  a real talented team.....North Carolina is a treat to watch.....BC is a struggle to watch....Final Score BC 88 UNC 84.

In this scenario, someone will give credit to BC for winning, but if you allow the eye test, soemone might acutally in their perception based on this game still have UNC higher on any eye test list than BC.

I think the eye test is too reliant on the style a team plays...and when you have former coaches and administrators using the eye test..(I actually think Coaches are some of the worst evaluators of teams), I think certain types of teams get advantages over others.

The eye test might be alrlright if you had the right people using the eye test...

On 6/22/2018 at 5:16 PM, Huskerpapa said:

I always detested but admired Barry and his Oklahoma football teams.  At the beginning of the season they typically squeezed out wins.  The Huskers would be salvating,  thinking this will be the year.  Then come game time the Sooners would beat us like a flipping drum.  

I know this wasn’t the main point of your post.....but this so struck memories for me.  I totally remember that happening—ugh.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:44 PM, cjbowbros said:

I think this was the problem last year. Had we known teams like Oklahoma would make it in over us because of SOS we would have played a very difficult SOS last year. Thats obvious this year and as a fan this is great we will benefit from playing tons of fun games against great opponents next year. We were just unfortunate that the rules changed a lot in a year where we happened to have a weak schedule because the conference was down. Its just frustrating that the commities priorities when picking teams were only made clear when they picked the teams that made it not when we were scheduling half a year previous. If the system stays consistant then I'm all for it but it seems to not always do so.

It didn't really change all that much. Oklahoma didn't make it in because of its strong SOS; its strong SOS gave it more chances to rack up quality wins which propped up its resume down the stretch as it stopped winning conference games. No matter the exact way you classify what those quality wins are, you still have to beat good teams to make the tournament. 

On 6/24/2018 at 12:27 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

It didn't really change all that much. Oklahoma didn't make it in because of its strong SOS; its strong SOS gave it more chances to rack up quality wins which propped up its resume down the stretch as it stopped winning conference games. No matter the exact way you classify what those quality wins are, you still have to beat good teams to make the tournament. 

I studied this significantly during the break between the tournament in the selection committee and did not come to that conclusion at all.   To me it seemed like every team in a major conference even on a down year with an RPI that was around where ours was good have a good chance of making the tournament in years past.  And I don’t know why a lot of our wins which were against what would be considered tier 2 or tier 3 opponents in the system or not quality wins when we racked them up like we did.  The way I do admit we absolutely sucked on the road last year which definitely cost us.