2018-19 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

12 hours ago, 49r said:

Texas Tech is a senior dominated team this year that will likely take a step back next year.  USC may be a better opponent depending on whether Metu and Boatwright decide to go pro. 

Texas Tech has two very good freshmen starters, Zhaire Smith and Culver.   Tech will be a good opponent.

Just now, HuskerFever said:

It might be a good time to give a soft bump to this thread. No more messing around with our scheduling. Let's get back at it.

This year was a fluke with how weak the middle of the Big 10 was.   Thats not going to happen again.   I hope we don't try to overcorrect.

• 3 weeks later...

With Carr leaving penn st, bates-diop leaving Ohio st, bridges n Jackson jr and possibly ward leaving MSU, Jackson from maryland, and the likely departure of Wagner from Michigan. The stars may be aligning if we can get cope or palmer or both back. 

You gotta feel for penn st fans though. Can’t cut bait from chambers after the NIT run but just lost the straw the stirs the drink 

Edited by B-town hoopsfan

@B-town hoopsfan keep in mind that Purdue is losing Vincent Edwards, Isaac Haas, Dakota Mathias and PJ Thompson.  Carsen Edwards is also testing the NBA waters so they will have a pretty green roster next year as well...BUT

We should remember that all those teams will be restocking with more than adequate talent, plus other teams that finished in the bottom half appear to be poised to make a big jump.  Iowa, for example, should be leaps and bounds better than they were this year, so should Wisconsin.  Maryland should be a top 4 contender and I wouldn't count Northwestern and Minnesota out of making a big rebound.  The only question marks in my mind would be Illinois and Indiana but I have no doubt that they will both be rebuilding quickly.

In summary, there may be a lot of big names leaving the "down" B1G this year, but by no means do I expect that to equal a more down B1G next year.  We'll have a major fight on our hands to finish with an above .500 conference record.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

@B-town hoopsfan keep in mind that Purdue is losing Vincent Edwards, Isaac Haas, Dakota Mathias and PJ Thompson.  Carsen Edwards is also testing the NBA waters so they will have a pretty green roster next year as well...BUT

We should remember that all those teams will be restocking with more than adequate talent, plus other teams that finished in the bottom half appear to be poised to make a big jump.  Iowa, for example, should be leaps and bounds better than they were this year, so should Wisconsin.  Maryland should be a top 4 contender and I wouldn't count Northwestern and Minnesota out of making a big rebound.  The only question marks in my mind would be Illinois and Indiana but I have no doubt that they will both be rebuilding quickly.

In summary, there may be a lot of big names leaving the "down" B1G this year, but by no means do I expect that to equal a more down B1G next year.  We'll have a major fight on our hands to finish with an above .500 conference record.

Would that make Palmer preseason player of the year?

@49r Purdue has significant pieces to replace but I think Edwards comes back for one more year along w harms and the Dartmouth transfer they just got puts them at the top of the preseason BIG rankings. It will be the likes of Maryland Michigan MSU up there, Wisconsin should be much improved as well. 

Minnesota has serious roster issues but has two good bigs and that freshmen point coming back, northwestern I believe has to replace 3 or 4 top players. Iowa has a lot of pieces but would take a big blow if Cook stays in the draft. 

Nebraska would be far from a favorite to win the league it just seems like a lot of other clubs are loosing key underclassmam pieces. Heck Illinois and Rutgers both might be worse than they were this year 

Apparently Minnesota has a ridiculous class of freshmen coming in next year.  I wouldn't count them out at all.

I don't get why everyone is so worked up about the Dartmouth transfer, the Ivy League was the 18th ranked conference according to KenPom and Dartmouth finished dead last with a ranking of #305 the last year Boudreaux played for them.  He could be okay I guess but I'm not going to expect the world.

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

I don't get why everyone is so worked up about the Dartmouth transfer, the Ivy League was the 18th ranked conference according to KenPom and Dartmouth finished dead last with a ranking of #305 the last year Boudreaux played for them.  He could be okay I guess but I'm not going to expect the world.

They don't need Boudreaux to be the best player on the team though.  He's a guy who can rebound and who has the mentality to score a lot if you need that.

Think Maryland could be real tough if Fernando comes back.   Northwestern will struggle a lot IMO.   I liked Illinois a lot before all of their turnover.   I think Iowa surprises if Cook is back.   Michigan and Michigan State are still Michigan and Michigan State even with their departures.

Wisconsin wont be great, but will be better.

Don't see a ton of great teams, but a lot more depth than the league had this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, WestOHusker said:

This is news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to have both MSU and Purdue.  Maryland should be improved as should Iowa.  Illinois might be a chance for a sweep and Minny is a toss up.  One winnable and two winnable but challenging road games.  Then we also get tOSU at home.  

Like that a lot more than this year.