2018-19 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

Many of us will have to agree to disagree. I believe eye test is an important part of the process.  I do not need metrics to tell me what my brain, experience or eyes tell me.  Metrics can confirm what I see, but metrics will not direct my thoughts.

It is sort of like leveraging a political columnist to direct my vote.  If I am incapable of looking, listening and weighing what a candidate says and stands for, then perhaps I shouldn't be voting.  Those that cannot understand what is going on, either athletically or politically, are lead to the opinion of others or metrics and statistics that others deem important.

Sorry for the rant...but dang, sometimes stats cannot tell the story.  I detest Aaron Craft.  His stats were mostly unimpressive,  yet he may have been the most valuable player on his team.  In general, a team may just by, while winning early games, but in the end, they may be the best team out there.  I always detested but admired Barry and his Oklahoma football teams.  At the beginning of the season they typically squeezed out wins.  The Huskers would be salvating,  thinking this will be the year.  Then come game time the Sooners would beat us like a flipping drum.  Oh well, enough.

Edited by Huskerpapa

For me they eye test gets interesting..

My Hypothical example:  you can watch a game and wow North Carolina is stacked and they are a great team, they played Boston College and man they are gritty but not  a real talented team.....North Carolina is a treat to watch.....BC is a struggle to watch....Final Score BC 88 UNC 84.

In this scenario, someone will give credit to BC for winning, but if you allow the eye test, soemone might acutally in their perception based on this game still have UNC higher on any eye test list than BC.

I think the eye test is too reliant on the style a team plays...and when you have former coaches and administrators using the eye test..(I actually think Coaches are some of the worst evaluators of teams), I think certain types of teams get advantages over others.

The eye test might be alrlright if you had the right people using the eye test...

On 6/22/2018 at 5:16 PM, Huskerpapa said:

I always detested but admired Barry and his Oklahoma football teams.  At the beginning of the season they typically squeezed out wins.  The Huskers would be salvating,  thinking this will be the year.  Then come game time the Sooners would beat us like a flipping drum.  

I know this wasn’t the main point of your post.....but this so struck memories for me.  I totally remember that happening—ugh.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:44 PM, cjbowbros said:

I think this was the problem last year. Had we known teams like Oklahoma would make it in over us because of SOS we would have played a very difficult SOS last year. Thats obvious this year and as a fan this is great we will benefit from playing tons of fun games against great opponents next year. We were just unfortunate that the rules changed a lot in a year where we happened to have a weak schedule because the conference was down. Its just frustrating that the commities priorities when picking teams were only made clear when they picked the teams that made it not when we were scheduling half a year previous. If the system stays consistant then I'm all for it but it seems to not always do so.

It didn't really change all that much. Oklahoma didn't make it in because of its strong SOS; its strong SOS gave it more chances to rack up quality wins which propped up its resume down the stretch as it stopped winning conference games. No matter the exact way you classify what those quality wins are, you still have to beat good teams to make the tournament. 

On 6/24/2018 at 12:27 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

It didn't really change all that much. Oklahoma didn't make it in because of its strong SOS; its strong SOS gave it more chances to rack up quality wins which propped up its resume down the stretch as it stopped winning conference games. No matter the exact way you classify what those quality wins are, you still have to beat good teams to make the tournament. 

I studied this significantly during the break between the tournament in the selection committee and did not come to that conclusion at all.   To me it seemed like every team in a major conference even on a down year with an RPI that was around where ours was good have a good chance of making the tournament in years past.  And I don’t know why a lot of our wins which were against what would be considered tier 2 or tier 3 opponents in the system or not quality wins when we racked them up like we did.  The way I do admit we absolutely sucked on the road last year which definitely cost us. 

• 2 weeks later...

We now have 9 non-conference games scheduled (assuming we play Council bluffs University) Our non conference breakdown includes 

2 Big East schools

1 ACC school

1 (or 2) Big XII schools

maybe 1 Pac 12 school

Which on paper looks competitive.

We still will probably schedule 1 or 2 more non-con games how should we schedule our remaining games?

I wouldn't mind seeing a mid-level A-10 or AAC team, or even a reunion by bringing in CSU or Utah St.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Mississippi Valley State finished #348 in Kenpom's rankings last year.  Hopefully they'll be a lot better this year.  Don't want this to be another situation where the mere fact we played them drags down our rpi.

If it’s just them.  It won’t hurt much.   If we play 3-4 others like them.  Then it adds up.    We aren’t the only team playing teams like that 

30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Mississippi Valley State finished #348 in Kenpom's rankings last year.  Hopefully they'll be a lot better this year.  Don't want this to be another situation where the mere fact we played them drags down our rpi.

Bartovik currently has them slotted at 313 based on the fact that they bring back what looks like the majority of their team. With any luck they'll pile up some SWAC wins this year and it won't be a killer.  They also have a guy named Davere Creighton so we're set up to beat Creighton twice this year.

http://halloffameweekend.com/classic/news/2018/2018_field

Missouri State - The Bears finished the regular season at 7-11 in the Missouri Valley Conference, good for seventh place, and 17-15 overall… Attempting to reach the post-season for the first time in four years…..Led by senior forwards Alize Johnson, averaging team-highs in points (15.0), rebounds (11.6) and assists (2.8) and Jarrid Rhodes (10.8ppg) … Kyle Moats, Director of Athletics of the Bears, stated: “Missouri State is very honored to participate in the 2018 Hall of Fame Classic. It’s not only an opportunity to showcase our program on the national stage, but also gives our players and staff an opportunity to play for a cause. We are honored to represent the state of Missouri, and we’re excited to play in Kansas City.”

Nebraska– Enjoying their most successful season in decades, the Huskers completed the regular season tied for fourth place in the rugged Big Ten Conference, with a 13-5 mark and 22-10 overall… Looking to return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2013-14 season….Led by junior guard and First Team All-Big Ten James Palmer, Jr. (17.3ppg), junior forward Isaac Copeland (12.9ppg) and junior guard Glynn Watson, Jr. (10.5ppg)… Huskers head coach Tim Miles had this to say about playing in the event: “Our program is excited to play in the 2018 Hall of Fame Classic. When building our non-conference schedule, we look for opportunities to play high-quality games, as well as provide a great experience for our team. With USC, Texas Tech and Missouri State in the 2018 field, the Hall of Fame Classic will provide us an important early-season test. Many of our fans remember annually going to Kansas City for the conference tournament, and the Hall of Fame Classic gives our fans a chance to enjoy a great city and cheer on the Huskers in an outstanding tournament close to home.”

Texas Tech - The Red Raiders are in the midst of one of their best seasons in school history, checking in at 11-7 in the ultra-competitive Big 12 Conference, good for second place, and 23-8 overall with a current ranking of 12th in the country…..Looking to participate in their second NCAA Tournament in the past three seasons… Led by dynamic senior point guard Keenan Evans (17.4ppg) and the freshman guard tandem of Zhaire Smith (11.5ppg) and Jarrett Culver (11.5ppg)… Red Raiders head coach Chris Beard said, “Our program is looking forward to competing in the Hall of Fame Classic and in front of Texas Tech fans in Kansas City and in the Midwest. The event has several talented teams and will help us prepare for our Big 12 schedule.”

USC– Finished in second place in the difficult Pac-12 Conference, at 12-6, and 21-10 overall… The Trojans are hoping to advance to their third consecutive NCAA Tournament.… led by junior forward Chimezie Metu (15.9ppg), and senior guards Jordan McLaughlin (12.5ppg) and Elijah Stewart (11.5ppg)……Fifth-year head coach Andy Enfield had this to say about participating in this year’s tournament: “We look forward to competing in the 2018 Hall of Fame Classic held at the Sprint Center in Kansas City next season. The Hall of Fame Tournaments are always competitive and this event will provide our team with a great challenge early in the season.”

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Damn.  Mississippi valley is horrible to play.  As long as the committee has their heads up their ass using rpi, we can’t have our heads up ours and play that kind of team.  

I couldn't tell if you knew or not, but it wasn't our choice to play them.  Unfortunately it was part of the tournament.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I couldn't tell if you knew or not, but it wasn't our choice to play them.  Unfortunately it was part of the tournament.

Not directly, but the importance of getting better teams than that can be made known and there sure as hell are far better teams than that which would jump at the chance to get two buy games against these four clubs.  

Edited by royalfan

7 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Not directly, but the importance of getting better teams than that can be made known and there sure as hell are far better teams than that which would jump at the chance to get two buy games against these four clubs.  

What do you suggest the staff could have done differently?