2018-19 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

34 minutes ago, jdw said:

Not if they win.

Even if they do.  Unnecessarily making the road harder.  

Not to mention the fact that we already lost one home game with the extra Big 10 schedule.  This takes another away.

20 conference games (10 on the road)

1 Away Game vs. a Top 20 team

2 Home Games vs NCAA teams last year and probably NIT at least this year

1,possibly 2  Neutral Site games against P5 teams that won 20+ last year

That's more than good enough.

Just for reference, no Big 10 team played more than 5 P6 teams in their non-con last year.   And that was with 2 more games to play.  If we play USC and Texas Tech, we'll have 6 with a tougher conference schedule.   There's nothing smart about that.

As I mentioned before, there's a far better chance this game bites us then it does help us.

Edited by nustudent

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Even if they do.  Unnecessarily making the road harder.  

Not to mention the fact that we already lost one home game with the extra Big 10 schedule.  This takes another away.

20 conference games (10 on the road)

1 Away Game vs. a Top 20 team

2 Home Games vs NCAA teams last year and probably NIT at least this year

1,possibly 2  Neutral Site games against P5 teams that won 20+ last year

That's more than good enough.

Just for reference, no Big 10 team played more than 5 P6 teams in their non-con last year.   And that was with 2 more games to play.  If we play USC and Texas Tech, we'll have 6 with a tougher conference schedule.   There's nothing smart about that.

As I mentioned before, there's a far better chance this game bites us then it does help us.

Fair points, all.  However ...

Two years ago, when we had a really tough schedule, we had a very young team and probably one that wasn't as mentally tough as a veteran team might be.  They scheduled figuring they'd have Andrew White, but he left them swinging and the team had a tougher road than what they were built for.  

There were a few tough losses that the bounced back from but, as I said at the time, they only had so much bounce-back in them.  And they had a couple too many tough losses to try to bounce back from.  By the time the season was two-thirds over, they were kind of emotionally spent and cashed in their chips.  The swoon to end the season wasn't reflective of how good they actually were.

A year later, we probably still had a fairly tough schedule but it didn't look as tough as it really was because the Big Ten lost more non-conference games than you'd expect and so the overall conference RPI was down quite a bit.  

But they're coming back.  And they return their stars.  And though the schedule is tough, this is going to be a very veteran team.  Very veteran. One of the most veteran teams we've had this century.  And far and away the most talented.

I think they can afford to lose some tough games.  They cannot afford to lose games they ought to easily win.  But this tough schedule will produce some opportunities for good wins and this is a team that is going to be able to win a number of those games.

Let's see how it works out.  If this was an Andrew White situation, the tough scheduling could come back to haunt us.  But the guys who decided to return seem pretty committed; I think they're built for and will be up for the challenge.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think they can afford to lose some tough games.  They cannot afford to lose games they ought to easily win.  But this tough schedule will produce some opportunities for good wins and this is a team that is going to be able to win a number of those games.

I have a hard time believing that we'll get as many wins in as many games as we did last season, but the quality of wins will be better. So I'm prepared for more upsetting losses but bigger upside than we experienced last year.

57 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Wrong.  A neutral court game that we have many advantages plays very well in the metrics systems that the selection folks misuse.  

Not arguing the merits of a neutral site game.  I'm arguing adding more than necessary and more than our piers

16 hours ago, nustudent said:

Thats a damn tough game too.   Clemson returns quite a bit and added a good grad transfer

Grad transfer is Javan White.  Immediately eligible.  Redshirted while at ORU and graduated early, so has 2 seasons of eligibility remaining.  Kicked in 10 ppg and 9 rebounds. AND he shot 40% from 3-point range (on limited attempts.)

Interestingly, he came out of Ames Iowa in the class of 2015, the same class that produced (wait for it) Michael Jacobson.  Of course MJ was from Waukee.  But MJ never produced numbers like Javan White has, most especially not from deep.  

Knowing this might make some people think we recruited the wrong unranked big man out of Iowa.

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Grad transfer is Javan White.  Immediately eligible.  Redshirted while at ORU and graduated early, so has 2 seasons of eligibility remaining.  Kicked in 10 ppg and 9 rebounds. AND he shot 40% from 3-point range (on limited attempts.)

Interestingly, he came out of Ames Iowa in the class of 2015, the same class that produced (wait for it) Michael Jacobson.  Of course MJ was from Waukee.  But MJ never produced numbers like Javan White has, most especially not from deep.  

Knowing this might make some people think we recruited the wrong unranked big man out of Iowa.

Not sure it’s fair to compare stat lines at ODU to Nebraska.    Small (sarcastic) step up in competition.  

What they do at their current schools will be more accurate 

The Clemson Game is officially Monday, Nov. 26

The rest of the games

2018 ACC/Big Ten Challenge Schedule
Monday, Nov. 26
Minnesota at Boston College
Nebraska at Clemson

Tuesday, Nov. 27
Illinois at Notre Dame
Indiana at Duke
Michigan State at Louisville
Pitt at Iowa
Virginia Tech at Penn State
NC State at Wisconsin

Wednesday, Nov. 28
Purdue at Florida State
Rutgers at Miami
North Carolina at Michigan
Virginia at Maryland
Georgia Tech at Northwestern
Syracuse at Ohio State

Just now, hhcdimes said:

The Clemson Game is officially Monday, Nov. 26

The rest of the games

2018 ACC/Big Ten Challenge Schedule
Monday, Nov. 26
Minnesota at Boston College
Nebraska at Clemson

Tuesday, Nov. 27
Illinois at Notre Dame
Indiana at Duke
Michigan State at Louisville
Pitt at Iowa
Virginia Tech at Penn State
NC State at Wisconsin

Wednesday, Nov. 28
Purdue at Florida State
Rutgers at Miami
North Carolina at Michigan
Virginia at Maryland
Georgia Tech at Northwestern
Syracuse at Ohio State

This may be posted somewhere else, but how do these games get scheduled.  Who decides what teams play other teams?

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

This may be posted somewhere else, but how do these games get scheduled.  Who decides what teams play other teams?

Almost positive it's driven by ESPN and they're matched up by competitiveness with an eye towards having marquee ESPN matchups so they can slot the games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU.

On Monday, ESPN will have MNF.  We will probably be the ESPN2 matchup over Minny-BC

On Tuesday I assume Indiana at Duke and Michigan State at Louisville will be the ESPN viewings

On Wednesday I assume North Carolina at Michigan and Virginia at Maryland will be the ESPN viewings

I have no idea what drives the B1G - Big East matchups

A lot of teams are playing away from home and better opponents.  Just look at OU.

@UT Rio Grande Valley

@UTSA

Home against Wofford?

@Battle for Atlantis

Home against North Texas

Neutral in New York- Notre Dame

Neutral in OKC- Wichita State

Neutral in Tulsa- USC

Home against Creighton

@Northwestern

Home against Vandy

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

Not sure it’s fair to compare stat lines at ODU to Nebraska.    Small (sarcastic) step up in competition.  

What they do at their current schools will be more accurate 

There's a bigger difference between ORU and ODU than ODU and Nebraska.  (Sorry for jumping all over a typographical error.)