Who is the true baseball fan? Completely O.T.

jimmykc

1 hour ago, imnothipp said:

Gabe Kapler is an interesting choice as the nexct manager. I like Gabe a lot. Odd though as he as very little managing experience. 

Yeah, that hire came out of left field (pun intended).  In all seriousness though, I think he's walking into a good situation.  My Phils have been bad for the better part of a decade, which has drastically lowered expectations from the Charlie Manuel era.  Plus they have the young pieces in place to go .500 in '18 and compete for a playoff spot in '19.  Kapler has a chance to be seen as the guy who steered the team out of the wilderness and back to winning baseball.  

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

So far only two have admitted to lasting to the end. Fans now need a well pitched game on Tuesday to keep MLB from becoming a slo-pitch softball league. And, HB, please note the time this thread was started. We retired folks are not exactly night owls. Now for my morning bowl of oatmeal and prunes.

I watched until the end.

If you ca't tell from some of my late night posts, this retired guy is a night owl.

13 hours ago, jimmykc said:

So far only two have admitted to lasting to the end. Fans now need a well pitched game on Tuesday to keep MLB from becoming a slo-pitch softball league. And, HB, please note the time this thread was started. We retired folks are not exactly night owls. Now for my morning bowl of oatmeal and prunes.

I didn't get to see much of the earlier parts of the ballgame but I watched the last half of it.

And I'm also a "night owl," what can I say...

Edited by AuroranHusker

Retired just three weeks ago so watched whole ball game and enjoyed it. However the constant pitching changes even when a pitcher seems to have it really irritates me! As to this being a five hour game, as a reference point, back in the day, I once pitched a nine inning D1 game that ended with a 2-1 score and it was over in one hour and forty minutes. I’m sure that sux double plays and only 1 walk had something to do with it.

7 hours ago, 49r said:

So the MLB problems are twofold, right?

1) they are concerned with "pace of play" and trying to speed up games that can stretch beyond 3 hours (or 5 in the case of Yankees - Red Sox games) and

2) they want to appeal more to the video game era fans by increasing scoring, especially via the home run.

These two concepts seem to run counter to each other.  What a conundrum.

This

5 hours ago, bkamler said:

Retired just three weeks ago so watched whole ball game and enjoyed it. However the constant pitching changes even when a pitcher seems to have it really irritates me! As to this being a five hour game, as a reference point, back in the day, I once pitched a nine inning D1 game that ended with a 2-1 score and it was over in one hour and forty minutes. I’m sure that sux double plays and only 1 walk had something to do with it.

I'm officially jealous, and I hope to join Jimmy, Trickey, and you sooner vs. later.  

Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement...

I am not a true baseball fan. If my team isn't in the World Series or I don't have a team to cheer against, it's just an afterthought. This is the first year in a while i can remember this happening. The last few I've been cheering for my friends' teams to lose horribly because I'm a good friend who hopes your teams fail. 

Just to sort of finish up this thread, I trust some of you picked up my somewhat obscure Halloween movie reference above. And congrats to those of you who were awake at the end of the game Sunday, although Kamdy gets only half credit for lasting until 10:30. I plan to gut it up until the bitter end for the final game even if the score is 20-19. I can't wait until I hear them play "One Shining Moment".

22 hours ago, bkamler said:

This and no 3 minute long commercial breaks every half inning, bigger strike zone if was back in the day, and batters didn't get out of the box and become human rain delays after every pitch.

18 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Just to sort of finish up this thread, I trust some of you picked up my somewhat obscure Halloween movie reference above. And congrats to those of you who were awake at the end of the game Sunday, although Kamdy gets only half credit for lasting until 10:30. I plan to gut it up until the bitter end for the final game even if the score is 20-19. I can't wait until I hear them play "One Shining Moment".

I caught the reference both times!

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement Just 26 more years until retirement...

As I recall, there are many good things about being 39 years old. Don't rush it.

Plus, you have not had to sit through nearly as many years without the Huskers winning a basketball conference title or an NCAA tournament game.

Who's playing?  :mellow:

(Nah, I watch; sometimes :lol:)

I was on a trip away from home once when there was an important game on (NFL I think), and I couldn't even remember (Sr. moment) who was supposed to be playing.  Not wanting to display my ignorance, I thought I was being really clever when I asked a passer-by in the hotel' "What's the Score?" :Cool:

The Response?????  :ph34r:

52 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Lasted until the final out of the Series and can close the thread on topic now. A team which had never done something finally achieved the goal their long suffering fans have been patiently awaiting. Sound familiar HHC?

Was a funny Series.  Now it's time for the Huskers to win a tournament game!