Who is the true baseball fan? Completely O.T.

jimmykc

27 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

This is for my own edification only. With no vested interest in the outcome and a totally mesmerizing contest, how many lasted until the final out of last night's WS game?  Personally, I called it quits after the 7th. Be honest now.

Had to bail at the end of 8.  

Jimmy, what's the point in being retired, if you can't indulge in something like this?   :)

Finished the game. Actually fell asleep in the T9 when the score was 12-9. Woke up when my phone went nuts after Puigs one handed homer made it 12-11.

I don't know if the bullpens are just fried from overuse all post season (especially LA's) or if the balls are juiced but this is some of the most insane baseball I've ever seen. Correa's & Puigs home runs were unfathomable. 

18 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Finished the game. Actually fell asleep in the T9 when the score was 12-9. Woke up when my phone went nuts after Puigs one handed homer made it 12-11.

I don't know if the bullpens are just fried from overuse all post season (especially LA's) or if the balls are juiced but this is some of the most insane baseball I've ever seen. Correa's & Puigs home runs were unfathomable. 

Balls are different. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/29/world-series-baseballs-leather-justin-verlander-yu-darvish-ken-giles-kenley-jansen

Probably can’t rule out the balls being juiced as well. 

Watched to the end.  Shifted TV's from my man cave to the bedroom, but was with it to the end.  The ball may be juiced, but it sure is adding to the drama of this series.  The only thing that could improve this series is if my beloved Cubbies were once again battling for the title.

So far only two have admitted to lasting to the end. Fans now need a well pitched game on Tuesday to keep MLB from becoming a slo-pitch softball league. And, HB, please note the time this thread was started. We retired folks are not exactly night owls. Now for my morning bowl of oatmeal and prunes.

Edited by jimmykc

Big baseball fan but embarrassed to say I did not last for the end of the game.   Start the game earlier, limit trips to the mound, don't let the batter call timeout when the pitcher is set and cut back on the amount of commercials.
Add a pitch clock, and everything works it self out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Big baseball fan but embarrassed to say I did not last for the end of the game.   Start the game earlier, limit trips to the mound, don't let the batter call timeout when the pitcher is set and cut back on the amount of commercials.

Funny thing, FOX actually ran out of commercials to show after the ninth inning. Joe Buck just kept talking incessantly. :(

I stayed up for the whole thing. Probably against my better judgment. It's gonna take me a couple days to recover from this one. I was probably in for one more inning, but I'm not sure I would have been able to last much longer. Gotta figure out how to get these games played in under 5 hours. Gotta think the pitch clock is coming soon.

1 hour ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

Balls are different. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/29/world-series-baseballs-leather-justin-verlander-yu-darvish-ken-giles-kenley-jansen

Probably can’t rule out the balls being juiced as well. 

Bullpens are gassed, too. Combine the two, add in two potent offenses, and you get last night.

8 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Funny thing, FOX actually ran out of commercials to show after the ninth inning. Joe Buck just kept talking incessantly. :(

Why does everyone hate Buck?

Edited by uneblinstu

Fell asleep during, woke up at like 12:30? Saw it was still going on but you never know if that sort of game will be over quickly or go 18 innings.

TBH I thought the game was in the 12th so I was surprised to see that the final was in 10. Watched all of game 2 though.

So the MLB problems are twofold, right?

1) they are concerned with "pace of play" and trying to speed up games that can stretch beyond 3 hours (or 5 in the case of Yankees - Red Sox games) and

2) they want to appeal more to the video game era fans by increasing scoring, especially via the home run.

These two concepts seem to run counter to each other.  What a conundrum.

33 minutes ago, 49r said:

So the MLB problems are twofold, right?

1) they are concerned with "pace of play" and trying to speed up games that can stretch beyond 3 hours (or 5 in the case of Yankees - Red Sox games) and

2) they want to appeal more to the video game era fans by increasing scoring, especially via the home run.

These two concepts seem to run counter to each other.  What a conundrum.

They don't run counter to each other to the degree that you get things drawn out like they were last night. Or at least they shouldn't.

Edited by uneblinstu