Today's WBB scrimmage

HUD

I wouldn't worry about our power forwards ability to hit the 3.  Both Maddie and Grace have the ability as shown in the past.  Kate Cain hit 80% of her free throws last year.  First game jitters for a freshman are normal.  On the positive Kate's 4 blocked shots in 11 minutes puts Shepards last season total of 7 for 29 games in perspective when looking at hustle on defense.

1 minute ago, HUD said:

I wouldn't worry about our power forwards ability to hit the 3.  Both Maddie and Grace have the ability as shown in the past.  Kate Cain hit 80% of her free throws last year.  First game jitters for a freshman are normal.  On the positive Kate's 4 blocked shots in 11 minutes puts Shepards last season total of 7 for 29 games in perspective when looking at hustle on defense.

I was talking more about Cain and Washington. When I made the comment about the big's.

9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I was talking more about Cain and Washington. When I made the comment about the big's.

You are right about those two shooting the 3's.  I don't think it will be important for the 5 position to score from long range.  Plenty of others will.

Free throws are a different story.  Darrien has not been good at the charity stripe in her past years here.  Not having Janay or Nicea for this scrimmage hurts our defense as they are probably our two best defenders.  Look for forward to seeing them on the floor.

1 minute ago, HUD said:

You are right about those two shooting the 3's.  I don't think it will be important for the 5 position to score from long range.  Plenty of others will.

Free throws are a different story.  Darrien has not been good at the charity stripe in her past years here.  Not having Janay or Nicea for this scrimmage hurts our defense as they are probably our two best defenders.  Look for forward to seeing them on the floor.

My wife told me that Nicea has a foot/ankle injury suffered mid October.

Cain's stats were very good for only 11 min played......4 blocked shoots, and 8 rebounds. Excellent for a first time on the floor freshman. Good indication she'll be a big help inside.

Hannah has certainly continued her upward curve.  Taylor is going to play a lot. She must be progressing real well in practice to play as much as she did today.

The overall teams shooting percentages are a concern.....but it's very early.

But a good start for the season...Iowa State is a decent team.

Things are looking up folks.

Edited by redsteve

Hannah W. was outstanding, and Grace and Jasmine each going 5-6 from the line is great. Preliminary concern is that Darrien, Kate, and Rachel split the 40 minutes at the 5 position and had only 6 shots between them, and I would imagine some of those were off offensive rebounds. You gotta throw the ball inside sometimes folks. Total # of assists is fine, but only 3 players having them jumps out.........and please no, we don't want our 5's taking 3's.

Have to realize that unless you have Steph Curry, 3's hurt you as frequently as they help you......Iowa St was 7-27...they would have been better off taking less. They shot 46% from 2 and 26% from 3, plus you don't draw fouls shooting 3's, and that is the key to the whole 2 vs 3 thing...very few foul shots when you shoot 3's.  Outside of Hannah, we were 4-18 from 3...that's 22%...not so great.   3's are a great weapon, but you can't go 3 crazy. Overall optimistic.      

1 hour ago, huskerfrank said:

Preliminary concern is that Darrien, Kate, and Rachel split the 40 minutes at the 5 position and had only 6 shots between them, and I would imagine some of those were off offensive rebounds. You gotta throw the ball inside sometimes folks.      

We are going through a transition at the 5 spot from passing the ball to Shepard the last 2 years and watching her do some good things and some bad things as well.

I would suspect that since all three are new to this situation it will take a little time to adjust.  I believe 2 of 3 are capable and we should see improvement in the preseason.

Once Nicea and Janay are back I think we will see more passes inside as both are tough driving to the hoop and passing off if the shot isn't there.