Closed Scrimmage

bball23

2 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Looks like their grad transfer guard Zoran Talley didn't play either based on the box score. He's good. Wonder if he's hurt or something.

How can Zoran Talley be a grad transfer, since he’s only been in college three years and is listed by Iowa State as a redshirt Junior?  He played last year for Old Dominion as a redshirt sophomore and spent parts of his time there suspended for team rules violations.  Here’s a blurb about him from April of this year:

“The Old Dominion basketball team lost one of its top returning players Saturday, when coach Jeff Jones announced that forward Zoran Talley was dismissed from the program for violating team rules. ... Talley had been suspended twice before, for three games in 2015-16 and five games last season, both for violations of team rules.”

Wow - look at Taylor's numbers in 2 games: 

• 15 pts, 6 reb, 9 assists, 0 turnovers in 57 minutes, plus the defense he gives you

Isn't the old adage that JuCo guys tend to really make a jump from year 1 to year 2? If so, he would seem to fit the bill (even though he's not a typical JuCo kid, having only played 1 year there).

From Huskers.com article

Iowa State led 68-62 with just under 10 minutes remaining, but Nebraska took control with an 11-0 spurt, regaining the lead for good at 71-68 after a 3-point play from freshman Thomas Allen with 7:42 remaining.

Has to build some confidence for Allen to cap a big rally and give the team the lead for good. Nice that he feels confident enough to take a shot/make an offensive play like that at a big moment - good sign.

Also will be a good lesson for the guys to know they can rally from a deficit like this. They've played well in the 2 games, but also had some adversity, yet received a confidence boost from winning both of them.

Honestly, I'm not sure the 2 games could have scripted out any better.

--

Looking at stats, Copeland & Gill are definitely shaking off some rust - which is no surprise considering all the rehab work both of them have been doing the past several months. Nice to have that extra scrimmage vs a Power-5 team to help them acclimate a bit more quickly than they otherwise may have. 

Team will be pretty salty once those guys get to feeling good and are into the flow too.

Edited by throwback

7 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I think we may not see the real Copeland and Gill until December.  Give them a month to get back into game mode.  I thought Anton was just getting to that level last year, and then got hurt.  I hope it happens sooner, but it just takes time.

Agreed - it's just going to take time, so can't put too much emphasis on what they're doing stat wise for a while. Every game rep is valuable, more so than the numbers they're putting up.

And if the extra scrimmage helps them to feel fully ready even just a little sooner, say Dec. 9 instead of Dec. 16, I'm all for it. B)

Edited by throwback

-Thor before Nana? I know it was just for a few seconds but i still find that telling. Anybody know if Nana's absence is discipline related?

-James Palmer really looks like he could be our leading scorer. It will be interesting to see how he plays when he is well scouted.

-Glynn had a killer game. Rest of the gaurds were solid. Several points and a couple of assists is what i expect from Thomas Allen. Evan Taylor has had ridiculous stats so far.

-Aside from the Jack, nobody from the front court really had that great of a game. Copeland and Roby were solid but i want to see more from them. -None of our centers played much. Im assuming bc of matchups.

46 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

How can Zoran Talley be a grad transfer, since he’s only been in college three years and is listed by Iowa State as a redshirt Junior?  He played last year for Old Dominion as a redshirt sophomore and spent parts of his time there suspended for team rules violations.  Here’s a blurb about him from April of this year:

“The Old Dominion basketball team lost one of its top returning players Saturday, when coach Jeff Jones announced that forward Zoran Talley was dismissed from the program for violating team rules. ... Talley had been suspended twice before, for three games in 2015-16 and five games last season, both for violations of team rules.”

Article from Des Moines Register from back in July:

"The Iowa State men’s basketball team is giving Zoran Talley another chance to play collegiate basketball. And Talley is giving the Cyclones some experience and immediate help. Iowa State announced the addition of Talley, a graduate transfer from Old Dominion, on Thursday. The 6-foot-7 forward is eligible to play immediately. He was booted from the Old Dominion basketball team in April, but is scheduled to graduate in August."

Looks like he already graduated.

18 minutes ago, khoock said:

-Thor before Nana? I know it was just for a few seconds but i still find that telling. Anybody know if Nana's absence is discipline related?

-James Palmer really looks like he could be our leading scorer. It will be interesting to see how he plays when he is well scouted.

-Glynn had a killer game. Rest of the gaurds were solid. Several points and a couple of assists is what i expect from Thomas Allen. Evan Taylor has had ridiculous stats so far.

-Aside from the Jack, nobody from the front court really had that great of a game. Copeland and Roby were solid but i want to see more from them. -None of our centers played much. Im assuming bc of matchups.

Thor didn't play.  That was a scorekeepers mistake.

And, by the way, in case anyone wondered, this was a legit matchup where both teams were trying to win.  I know sometimes we wonder if the closed door scrimmage results really translate because if they were just testing out various lineups, the final score might not be indicative of how actually good the two teams are.

Apparently, in this game, the teams were giving each other their best shots and we were ... better.

ISU is very athletic, very good shooters, and we beat them with them having basically a pretty good game.  That's pretty encouraging.

And, Jacob, from what I understand, there's no "may not have" about it. Roby threw down a dunk for the ages. Wish there was video.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Looks like we jumped out quick again today.  Nicely done.

Yeah, this Iowa State team wasn't "projected" to be much... but we were not either.

For a team picked to finish last or second to last in the Big 10, we are 2-0 in Power 5 exhibitions.  Scoring 70+ in each.

According to Kenpom, ISU is top 40.

Iowa State lost its top 4 scorers. There were only 4 guys from last year's squad who played in the scrimmage, three of which were actually rotation players. They added a pair of 4-star recruits in Wiggington and Lewis a transfer who shot under 40% at UTSA last year in Beverly. Lard was a fringe top-150 recruit who redshirted last year. That's everyone who played in the scrimmage.

Iowa State has some pieces, but I think it would be safe to project a down year compared to where they've been, and the squad that played against Nebraska wasn't even full strength. KenPom is going to be generous this time of year because of how good the team was last year.

I agree this will not be a normal ISU team and I was expecting us to fair well. However if you told me they would shoot 60% against us I would not have been confident and to still win fairly handily is encouraging.  Even better we did it without a lot from our big guys. I just hope ISU was hot and our Defy is not that poor, which I doubt it is.

Wonder if Nana has an injury or something with no PT and the tweet the other day

6 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I agree this will not be a normal ISU team and I was expecting us to fair well. However if you told me they would shoot 60% against us I would not have been confident and to still win fairly handily is encouraging.  Even better we did it without a lot from our big guys. I just hope ISU was hot and our Defy is not that poor, which I doubt it is.

Wonder if Nana has an injury or something with no PT and the tweet the other day

If he's injured it's something relatively new. Some kids just have a harder time transitioning to college than others.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Hans Brase also didn't play. 

Iowa St only played 2 guys over 6'6" so that probably explains why we only saw 28 combined minutes from our centers in this game.

It also explains how Palmer had 23 with only 1 three. When there are no big guys it becomes very easy to attack the lane. 

On another note I was interested to see Allen scored 7 without hitting a three. That seems encouraging especially since we know he was playing meaningful minutes; according to the newspaper article.

Edited by cjbowbros

22 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

It also explains how Palmer had 23 with only 1 three. When there are no big guys it becomes very easy to attack the lane. 

On another note I was interested to see Allen scored 7 without hitting a three. That seems encouraging especially since we know he was playing meaningful minutes; according to the newspaper article.

His jumper isn't just good from deep. He can shoot off the dribble as well as the catch; has that mid-range game in his arsenal. The tough part for most young, small guards is figuring out how to finish in the lane against length and athleticism. It will be interesting to see how he does in that area early on.

It also is important to note that we are a newly formed team with a lot of new parts.  Many thought that if we were going to improve, it may take time to do so.  While that may still be true, it appears to my humble eye that the new parts seem to work well with the parts that we had.  I know, I know, the regular season is still a couple of weeks away, and I know, real games bring different challenges, and I know, I have rose colored glasses; but dang, it sure is nice that the first two scrimmages provide good mojo.  Think about how the basketball fans of Mississippi State are feeling...just saying!

Mississippi State and Iowa State may not be great, but we are also trying to put a lot of new pieces together early in the season.  The thing I like about the Husker winning both of these games is that Copeland hasn't shot well in either game.  Now, he's a streaky player in general, so when he's on, he will be good and when he's not, hopefully he can do other things to help the team. 

What I'm hopeful for this season is that when maybe 1 or 2 of the top guys isn't playing well we have some depth off the bench that can come in and maybe be that spark we need (McVeigh yesterday by box score may have been that guy).  Sometimes guys like McVeigh can be better off the bench.  Come in and look to hit open 3's.  Be that spark plug off the bench. 

I just think this team is going to get better and better as the year goes on.  Tough thing is we have a brutal schedule this year, so how do these guys handle adversity when it happens?

9 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

His jumper isn't just good from deep. He can shoot off the dribble as well as the catch; has that mid-range game in his arsenal. The tough part for most young, small guards is figuring out how to finish in the lane against length and athleticism. It will be interesting to see how he does in that area early on.

Let me ask the real question Jacob, is Palmer good enough to be able to score when Creighton puts Khyri Thomas on him or not? That's what we all really care about. (I'm kidding of course, but I'm also not kidding)