Closed Scrimmage

bball23

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I cannot imagine our rotation being limited to 8 players this year.

Which two among the following are you going to keep off the floor in order to limit the rotation to 8?

Thomas Allen?

Jack McVeigh?

Isaiah Roby?

Anton Gill?

Duby Okeke/Tanner Borchardt?

I'd suggest AT LEAST 4 of the above 6 are going to see regular minutes in addition to the 5 starters.

And as I look at the roster, I think we're really going to have to hit the transfer market hard this next off-season.  Palmer and Copeland having good seasons would really boost our appeal in that regard.

I have heard this and that about our rotation.  I also heard the presser today where redshirting will be discussed.  Let's assume for just a moment that Nana and Thor redshirt (I think Thor will and Nana is 50/50).  I could see the following:

PG -- Glynn and Thomas

SG -- Evan, Thomas and Anton

W - James, Jack and Isaiah

PF - Isaac and Isaiah

P - Jordy, Duby, Isaiah and Tanner

Minutes will be dictated by fouls, performance, chosen style of play and opponent.

16 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Let me ask the real question Jacob, is Palmer good enough to be able to score when Creighton puts Khyri Thomas on him or not? That's what we all really care about. (I'm kidding of course, but I'm also not kidding)

I've seen one game and studied two box scores. Hard to know at this point what Palmer will be on average. Are these two games Palmer at his peak? Or are they just typical performances? The fact that he got to the foul line a ton when his 3-pointer wasn't falling in the ISU game is certainly a good sign for his ability to score consistently.

I'll put it this way: Biased I may be, I'll take Thomas and Foster over Taylor and Palmer any day of the week. I think Foster will be able to score better against Taylor's defense than Palmer will against Thomas', and I'll take Thomas' scoring over Taylor's by far. Toss in Watson and Mintz/Joseph and the equation becomes a bit more even, however. I think this year's game has the potential to be a lot of fun.

Edited by Jacob Padilla
typo

A Jaysker, on a Nebrasketball board, taking two guys from his team "any day of the week" over someone he's seen play but once (and I think Palmer played only  about half of each game so far) is . . . well . . . very enlightening.  And, of course, the two box scores provide enlightenment that's unique to our Jaysker friends over us Nebrasketball dolts.

And . . . oh yeah--the one player from his team has already been declared by someone on this board (maybe even in this thread) as something like the best defender in the entire nation.  So, undoubtedly, every objective person in the entire world would have to agree with our beloved Jayskers.  

Edited by Swan88

38 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

A Jaysker, on a Nebrasketball board, taking two guys from his team "any day of the week" over someone he's seen play but once (and I think Palmer played only  about half of each game so far) is . . . well . . . very enlightening.  And, of course, the two box scores provide enlightenment that's unique to our Jaysker friends over us Nebrasketball dolts.

And . . . oh yeah--the one player from his team has already been declared by someone on this board (maybe even in this thread) as something like the best defender in the entire nation.  So, undoubtedly, every objective person in the entire world would have to agree with our beloved Jayskers.  

Saw a license plate last week that said "H8 JSKERS."  Made my day.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Wouldn't his admission that he's only seen them once and looked at two box scores be exactly the reason why he'd take the two dudes he knows everything about over two he doesn't? 

And, even though they’re touting their school, don’t be saying anything bad about our beloved Jaykers’ team from last year (I know nothing about this year’s team—although I’m sure they’ll try to remedy that defect).  After all:

—the guy charged with sexual assault got the charges dismissed, I believe,

—and the guy dismissed from another school’s team on discipline grounds hasn’t had a recurrence of the same issues, that we know of,

—and the guy with academic difficulties getting eligible didn’t have any academic issues during two years in college, that we are aware of,

—and the agent guy arrested by the Feds for illegal recruiting efforts was entirely above board and proper in his close dealings with our friends’ school.

So . . . don’t be mentioning things like that in response to our Jaysker friends.

8 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I've seen one game and studied two box scores. Hard to know at this point what Palmer will be on average. Are these two games Palmer at his peak? Or are they just typical performances? The fact that he got to the foul line a ton when his 3-pointer wasn't falling in the ISU game is certainly a good sign for his ability to score consistently.

I'll put it this way: Biased I may be, I'll take Thomas and Foster over Taylor and Palmer any day of the week. I think Foster will be able to score better against Taylor's defense than Palmer will against Thomas', and I'll take Thomas' scoring over Taylor's by far. Toss in Watson and Mintz/Joseph and the equation becomes a bit more even, however. I think this year's game has the potential to be a lot of fun.

For the record, I thought this was a totally fair assessment.  Foster and Thomas are excellent players.  I put Watson on their level, and Palmer may very well end up there, but those two CU guards are tough as hell and I respect their games.  

17 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

And as I look at the roster, I think we're really going to have to hit the transfer market hard this next off-season.  Palmer and Copeland having good seasons would really boost our appeal in that regard.

I have been forgetting to mention that this is the first year of the Miles era with no transfers

19 hours ago, khoock said:

Interesting note from Miles' presser: team went very very small against Iowa State and made a good run while doing so.

Lineup:

Glynn Watson

Thomas Allen

James Palmer

Evan Taylor

Isaiah Roby.

Listening to the Miles segment on SN, he mentioned the guys coming off injuries (Jordy, Copeland and Gill) were still knocking the rust off, things are still moving a little quickly. It'll slow down for them before long.

21 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I have been forgetting to mention that this is the first year of the Miles era with no transfers

That's why it's going to be more of a chore whittling things down to a 8-ish man rotation this year.  What an unusual feeling.

this is the first year in a long time we can afford an injury to our frontcourt and not be totally screwed, i think we have enough depth  with the development of Tanner to be ok if something happens, still wont be good, but i dont see us having to play a guy grossly out sized at the 4 or 5 this year 

16 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

this is the first year in a long time we can afford an injury to our frontcourt and not be totally screwed, i think we have enough depth  with the development of Tanner to be ok if something happens, still wont be good, but i dont see us having to play a guy grossly out sized at the 4 or 5 this year 

Why are you guys trying to actively jinx us? First @TimSmiles, now you. 

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

For the record, I thought this was a totally fair assessment.  Foster and Thomas are excellent players.  I put Watson on their level, and Palmer may very well end up there, but those two CU guards are tough as hell and I respect their games.  

Not trying to extend the CU discussion, but I find it interesting and it is taking place and people are posting their thoughts, so I thought I'd add mine.  Anyway, with that disclaimer out of the way:

Thomas and the K-State transfer guy are both very good players.  No doubt about it.  But they weren't the guys who gave us fits a year ago.  The guys who gave us fits a year ago were the little PG and his pick-and-roll partner who's off to the NBA.

CU had Thomas and the KSU transfer all last season, but after the little PG went down with the knee injury, even though they still had that Omaha North kid who went to the NBA, the were pretty ordinary after that.  The little PG was the straw that stirred their drink.

Now, I still think they're going to be a very good team this year.  And, yeah, maybe you take their 2 and 3 over our 2 and 3, but I don't think I'd take any of their other starters over any of our other starters.  Maybe I'm wrong.  And next year it'll probably be different.  But this year, that's my view. 

And, yeah, the Thomas kid might be a better scorer than Evan Taylor.  But, y'know what?  We don't need Evan Taylor to be a big scorer.  We just need him to play good D and not turn the ball over.  And, you know what?  That's what he gives us night after night.

I feel like we have the team who will have the mind set of "something to prove."  It reminds me a lot of our first year Petteway set up.  However, I think we are in a better all-around situation this year than that year.

We have two highly touted transfers that were kind of busts at Miami and Georgetown.  However they get their attempt at redemption this year.  We also have a top half PG, Senior Glue SG, and best looking post since...........

Miles has to have a good reputation with RS transfers. Terran and AW3 were both All-Big Ten to some degree. Walt had a solid time here despite his issues. James Palmer seems poised for a good year. Isaac is predicted to be a Top 3 scorer and rebounder for us.

Shoot Miles could probably use Evan Taylor to gain some leverage on the JUCO scene.