Nana to Redshirt?

Handy Johnson

17 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I know you guys don't want any Creighton on this board but even Justin Patton, who was a first round pick after one year of playing, redshirted first and he absolutely needed to. Redshirting allows a player to make much more progress during the season in terms of building up his body (and learning the mental side of the game) than playing would. It's hard to focus on those sorts of things if you're worried about preparing for the next opponent. I covered Patton in high school and I said all along redshirting would be the best thing for him, and I don't believe he would have been as good as quickly as he was if he had played and been the third center his first year. On a related note, it will be interesting to see how Miles handles Brady Heiman next year.

Either way, he left after his sophomore year of school. He could have done 95% of what he did in his redshirt year and played a few minutes here and there. As coaches, you can talk privately about what you feel the players role is, and adjust accordingly. 

Edited by basketballjones

7 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i don't think he'll redshirt. we have a lot of guys coming off injuries. playing time could open up. thorir will most likely redshirt though.

The only reason I would ever redshirt is if I knew I was going to stay and play as long as I could, and continue with a grad program during my redshirt senior year. 

As a coach, i would want to redshirt as many kids as possible. Assuming they are up to snuff talent wise. 

A redshirt is more than likely going to be in your program for 4 years (1 rs year + 3years of playing) before they would transfer. Most kids wont want to lose a whole year of eligibility.

A kid that doesnt redshirt is free to transfer whenever since they still have their redshirt available.

However, that is easier said than done with the play now culture of sports.

• 3 weeks later...

I was VERY surprised by this. I get where the kids are coming from, but I wish they had they had taken more of LONG view of the situation. Playing time will be based on merit and production, Miles shouldn't have to hold anybody's hand and make sure they get X amount of minutes to keep them happy. These things have a way of sorting themselves out, I get that too. BUT, there are only so many minutes and basketballs to go around...

Meh. With X coming in and similar recruits in the 2019 and 2020 classes, Nana will either earn playing time or he won't. I know we all pined for Brandon Ubel's fifth season, but hopefully we're in a different place going forward regarding the number of players with real B1G potential. Here's to Nana fulfilling his potential in four years!

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Miles shouldn't have to hold anybody's hand and make sure they get X amount of minutes to keep them happy.

To his credit, I think, he's never really done this. He's played the guys who he has felt give him the best opportunity to win that night or season. With the roster he has now, I don't see that changing. Hopefully Nana rises to the challenge.

Somebody like Heiman comes into the program expecting to redshirt because of physical development. Nana came in after a stellar prep career, is physically developed and expected to play. Then he finds out where he stands and he has to figure out, among other things: (1) am I good enough to play at this level (2) do I agree with the coach's assessment of where I am (3) is there any chance of seeing the floor this season?

Pretty easy to see how the answer to any of those questions could be an argument against a redshirt year. 

7 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Somebody like Heiman comes into the program expecting to redshirt because of physical development. Nana came in after a stellar prep career, is physically developed and expected to play. Then he finds out where he stands and he has to figure out, among other things: (1) am I good enough to play at this level (2) do I agree with the coach's assessment of where I am (3) is there any chance of seeing the floor this season?

Pretty easy to see how the answer to any of those questions could be an argument against a redshirt year. 

I'll say 1 is a YES, 2 probably a NO, and to 3 the answer SLIM. Hope I'm wrong, but Nana & Thor both look slight of frame and unprepared physically for B1G play. We shall see...