uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 10, prologue - Mississippi State

uneblinstu

Despite this being game where the kept score, use referees and we were able to watch it on our media devices, read into the results of this game at your own risk. A few observations.

-  Glynn is still good.

- Palmer was the best player on the court.

- If today is any indication, they'll be a better 3 point shooting team.

- Gill did basketball things and didn't seem worse for the wear.

- Going on the road for this game will prove to be a good call, I think. 

- Felt a little like Copeland settled for outside shots. Would like to see him inside the arc a bit more.

- 48 points in the first half without getting much from the I-guys is a good sign. And to score 75 or whatever it was without much from them, too, is a bit of a statement of the depth of the team.

-  I liked that they had to fight through some adversity in holding off the late MSU charge and still come away with the win. That's a good thing you probably can't get in an exhibition.

- All-in-all, I really am happy with how this turned out for NU. 

Most importantly, this game is to raise support for Hurricane Relief. To lend your support go here:

Edited by uneblinstu

Palmer is a player...he will make a difference this year

Glynn is a top level PG.

Jordy is still recovering.  But he made some nice plays

Copeland is rusty, and it will take some time to knock off that rust

Evan is solid.  He is the glue player on the team.

Those who love Tanner, he is going to play spot minutes and he knows what to do.

Roby did some good things, but he needs to knock down his open looks.  Good rebounder, good defender, good protecting rim.

Gill continues to surprise me.  His recovery is beyond expectations so far.

Two of three of the freshmen look like redshirts.  Thomas is a work in progress.

Duby will help.  He has a presence and confidence that will help.

Jack is basketball smart.  He may not be the most athletic, but he seems to be where he needs to be.  We need him to be more consistent at the 3.

The first half was phenomenal.  We played well the first quarter of the second half.  Then we shut off the aggressiveness.  We will hopefully learn from that.  We have a number of talking points as we move forward.  Those who feared we couldn't rebound, not to worry, we look to be a good rebounding team.  We can defend.  We play well as a team.  We have at least two go to players.  We shared the ball well.  We ran well.  We played well in transition. 

But remember, this is only an exhibition game.

Edited by huskercwg

Palmer looks like the real deal. Offensively Copeland struggled but 7 rebounds is an added bonus. Glynn was Glynn, Jack was Jack. Nice to see Anton get out there and made some good cuts to the hoop. Wish Zay would have looked better but it's one game. Jordy looked great in limited minutes. 1st half awesome, 2nd half fine. Time to go back to the workshop!

In the second half we needed Tai Webster to take it to the rack. Not enough loving the rim today.

Nice game for the big man. Jordy put up some good numbers for limited minutes.  For that matter, so did Tanner Borchardt.  He can help this year.

Good: rolling out to a big, early lead; winning the first five of the second half; holding on for the win on the road; James Palmer emerging as a big time scoring threat; 15 rebounds from Isaac and Isaiah.

Not so good: playing not to lose and nearly blowing a 23 point lead (which we’ll learn from); 3/16 shooting from Isaac and Isaiah (which I suspect will be an anomaly); 5 turnovers from Isaiah.

The not-so-good will be fixed, I’m sure, before games go live.

Watched bits and pieces of the whole game.  My takes are below.

First half we looked tough.  We played good D, got good shots, and made them.  Assists were pretty high.

Second half we came back to reality a little bit.  Was still getting open shots, but they didn’t fall.  Finally decided to get aggressive and got a few buckets.

We should not have scoring droughts of over 4 minutes this year.  Did we today?  If we did, it shouldn’t happen.

James Palmer is the real deal.  He shot well, drove well, and finished well.

Issac Copeland struggled, only scored like 4 points, and we still won by 4 scoring 70+ points.  That’s a very good sign.  I don’t expect the Copeland struggles to continue.  What I liked was that he did the little things to help us win including rebounds and assists.

Glynn and Jack and Jordy were what I expected.  They have all progressed.

Duby will help more than people think.  Tanner will get a few minutes too!

The freshman were freshman.  No Nana per coaches decision.

Gill was a nice surprise and might play more than some think.  Him and Evan will be glue glue glue this year.

Roby had a rough day.  See Issac Copeland.

Mississippi State is better than most think.  Tried to get some rapid fan reactions on Twitter, but 9/10 people are so into football that I don’t think they knew there was a basketball game today.  I’m going to say it right now that MSU will finish mid pack or higher in SEC.  I also wish that is something we can put on a resume because I have a feeling that’s a decent road win come next March.

Speaking of decent teams, these Huskers aren’t too shabby folks.  I know I’m preaching to the choir, but this will be a fun team to watch.  After today, I certainly think we have the pieces necessary to challenge in every game and play meaningful postseason games.  I’m trying not to get too high from an exhibition... but this wasn’t no ordinary exhibition.  This was a Power 5 Team, on the road, win.  We dominated the first half.  Great day, and gave me even more excitement for the season.

-Unimpressed by the freshmen. They logged a total of 5 minutes (all by Thomas Allen). Hopefully we will see some more of them in the next couple games/scrimmages.

-Jack was solid. Ill stick by what i said, he's not getting benched this year.

-Duby had 4 fouls in 11 minutes thats worrisome. Which leads me to my next point, Borchardt will get some meaningful minutes this year. 

-Palmer comparison to Terran looked like it might have some accuracy to it.

-Evan and Jordy put up good numbers for the minutes they played.

-Anyone know why Glynn played so much? 32 min i think

-Anton Gill was a very nice surprise from what i expected.

-Good performance considering 2 of your predicted top 5 players (Copeland amd Roby) had poor showings.

Most encouraged by Palmer and Jordy, think our offense will be a lot better. Least encouraged by our on-ball defense, they got to the lane a lot. (Maybe less quickness, but our length helps against 3s.)

You really couldn't ask for much more: a road win against a P5 team. Good building block.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

11 hours ago, New huskers fan said:

Explains a lot of todays events

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

How tall is Zay's aunt?  She's either in really high heels or she's well over 6 foot.  Keep an eye on those kids.  If mom is over 6 foot, we've got some potential future Huskers going to their first Husker game today.  :D

Only got to see the first half.....Watson/Palmer JR looked very good.  Jordy/Duby looked like a load down low as well.  Copeland and Roby were struggling a bit...I imagine we will get much more from them here on out.  Shocked me that we were shooting so many threes but they were going in.  Overall I was impressed with what I saw in the first half....my one concern is Thomas Allen only getting 5 minutes.  It's only one game, but I think we all figured he would get some minutes. 

12 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

palmer was probably the biggest question mark heading into the season, so it's a good sign that he played well.

taylor getting 28 minutes and roby playing 16 min is worth noting. was hoping roby would be ready to start this year.

This falls into the "don't read too much into this game" category for me. And he did a lot of things well on the defensive side.

As to the freshmen:  I think the coaches tried to treat this like a real game as much as possible.  We have a legit opponent from a P5 conference, playing on the road, and they wanted it to be a realistic road game experience. That includes rotations. Seems like Mississippi State approached it the same way.  Both teams wanted to play to win, not just play to get guys on the floor, etc.

As to Copeland:  Yeah, he shot poorly.  Does anyone remember the first scrimmage that was open to the public after Terran became eligible?  The year we made the dance?  Remember how, in that first scrimmage, he couldn't buy a bucket?  And we were all like, "Oh, shit, this could be a rough season if THAT is the guy we were hoping would score some points for us."  Remember that?  Let's get a larger sample size before we draw any conclusions about Copeland.

One thing I will say is that if the perimeter shots aren't falling for him, I'd like to see him be able to do something else to get his scoring mojo going.  If he's being defended by a guy who's not as quick or not as athletic or not as big, run some iso to give him a chance to create one-on-one and attack the basket on the dribble or at least draw fouls and get to the line.  Yesterday, we were settling too much for perimeter jumpers instead of loving the rim at least a little bit.

As to Palmer:  The kid has a scoring mentality.  Love having guys who just know how to get the biscuit in the basket.  He's like Terran without the forcing-bad-shots thing.  That'll make it a lot easier for everyone else to adjust to his style of play.

My thing with the freshmen (specifically Thomas Allen) is i thought they would be higher up in the rotation. I dont know how early he came off the bench but minutes played he was last of the 11 players thay saw the floor. Not surprised Thor didnt see any minutes in a game like setting. Nana was a little surprising.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

How tall is Zay's aunt?  She's either in really high heels or she's well over 6 foot.  Keep an eye on those kids.  If mom is over 6 foot, we've got some potential future Huskers going to their first Husker game today.  :D

I think she looks taller because she probably is wearing some sort of heel but she is also 1-2 steps up from everyone else in the picture.

25 minutes ago, khoock said:

My thing with the freshmen (specifically Thomas Allen) is i thought they would be higher up in the rotation. I dont know how early he came off the bench but minutes played he was last of the 11 players thay saw the floor. Not surprised Thor didnt see any minutes in a game like setting. Nana was a little surprising.

I think Miles was sending a message as well, that the freshmen need to work on some things before they are going to see the floor.  We have more depth this year, so we can demand more from everyone.  This is really the way it is suppose to be.  If Allen and the others are the players we think they will be, they will respond.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think Grandpa and his aunt are on steps.  She might be two steps higher than Zay...she's at least one.