uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 10, prologue - Mississippi State

uneblinstu

12 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

He might have and if he did, good for him. I think many players around the country would benefit from a redshirt but not enough are willing to delay gratification which leads to no gratification and then a transfer. 

Here's a problem with redshirting, if the player does not develop enough to see the court in later years: it becomes difficult to transfer without losing a year of eligibility.  The only current alternative is to graduate and then transfer.

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I actually thought Mississippi state looked pretty good.  Especially in the 2nd half when they settled down.  I actually think it was more us looking pretty dang good early than it was them looking bad.  They did some decent things and I think they will benefit from being a transition team this year.

We looked terrible in the 2nd half, to me, that's why Miss State looked "good." Lost our flow. But it's an exhibition game - if we were operating at peak "flow" right now I'd be concerned. 

17 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

It's a typo from the scorekeeper. Laws didn't play.

Double confirmed. Gill was shooting a FT when the scorekeeper accidentally subbed him out. He was then subbed back in...he never left the court. The box score is initially auto-generated from the score keeping software.

17 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

We looked terrible in the 2nd half, to me, that's why Miss State looked "good." Lost our flow. But it's an exhibition game - if we were operating at peak "flow" right now I'd be concerned. 

I mean, couldn't the same be said in the reverse for the first half? It was hard to tell, because the stream was pretty poor on my periscope feed, but it looked like NU let up a bit and MSU also figured somethings out. Both can be true.

I don't know how folks can extrapolate so much info off that blurry Periscope stream.

Best I could do is see some red smudges run around near some white smudges on what appeared to be a basketball court and listen to the MSU radio guy describe the action.

So, I really don't know who "looked good" or who "looked bad".  I'm just glad there is some hoops action back finally! :) 

9 minutes ago, Red Don said:

The 'home' announcers were awful.  I got lucky and Kent's pbp was almost dead on with the video action.  He certainly provided a lot more info filling in the blanks from the blurry video.  :)

That's a good idea...i'll see if the audio syncs with the recording and re-up if it does

23 hours ago, jayschool said:

How about "Jim Palmer"? JP?

Or a little Shakespeare? "Have not saints lips, and Holy Palmers too?" 

Kent Pavelka-tron this: "JP for 3 . . . GOT IT!!! HOLY PALMER." Or if he's closer to the hoop: "Holy Palmer for two!"

Now if we can just get him in some underwear ads...

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

It's the difference between trying to kill teams and trying to hang on; both can let you down though. 

Run scrimmages/drills where the more a team wins by the bigger sort of carrot they get?

To me, this becomes more of a coaching mantra.  What is taking place in practices and huddles to make a player become more passive? 

45 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

To me, this becomes more of a coaching mantra.  What is taking place in practices and huddles to make a player become more passive? 

I don't think coaches do things in practice that encourage passiveness, at least not on purpose. I see that passiveness or I would rather describe it more as complacency is the default position. The "killer instinct" or what I would describe is maintaining focus regardless of time and score is what needs to be taught and reinforced.

3 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean, couldn't the same be said in the reverse for the first half? It was hard to tell, because the stream was pretty poor on my periscope feed, but it looked like NU let up a bit and MSU also figured somethings out. Both can be true.

Sure? 

Either way, I think MS is bad. If that was a regular season game and we didn't do much subbing, I bet we win that by 25. 

20 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't think coaches do things in practice that encourage passiveness, at least not on purpose. I see that passiveness or I would rather describe it more as complacency is the default position. The "killer instinct" or what I would describe is maintaining focus regardless of time and score is what needs to be taught and reinforced.

I wondered if there might not have been a little bit of fear creeping in -- fear of blowing a 23 point lead.

That's not the same thing as a complacency-type lack of focus, obviously, but it's similar.  You get it in the back of your mind that the shots aren't dropping. And then the shots continue to not drop ... for everybody.  Then you become worried about missing rather than focused on making.

That's why I was saying somewhere else that it would have been nice to have a little Tai Webster in that game, a guy who could attack the basket off the dribble and at least draw contact if not getting the and-1.  I think that's a better way of holding a lead than, say, going 0-13 from three point land.  Run some clock, iso your best creator, and let him try to attack the glass.  When you absolutely have to have a bucket, you need that guy who absolutely can get you one.  And generally, that's from inside the paint.

36 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Sure? 

Either way, I think MS is bad. If that was a regular season game and we didn't do much subbing, I bet we win that by 25. 

Not that it necessarily means anything, but I do believe they have more Rivals 4-stars than we do:

Nick Weatherspoon

Lamar Peters

Eli Wright

Tyson Carter

Schnider Herard

Abdul Ado

Aric Holman

All Rivals 4-stars. 

So, in terms of talent, at least as evaluated by the staff at Rivals, Miss State has brought in players as good of caliber as the ones we have.

image.png

Game lineups 

Notes on this

• With a dominating 11:30 played together, Glynn, Taylor, Palmer, Copeland, and Jordy are your current starting 5. It's probable this lineup would have played more minutes than this had Jordy been fully conditioned 
  • We used a total of 16 different lineups. The centers didn't play at the same time. The only time a center wasn't in the game was the last 3:21 when part of the biggest concerns would be FT shooting and ball handling
  • Anton Gill, Roby, and Okeke were the first 3 guys off the bench in both halves
  • Evan Taylor played the 1, 2, and 3 in this game

Main depth chart for the game

PG Watson - Allen

SG Taylor - Gill

SF Palmer - McVeigh

PF Copeland - Roby

C  Jordy - Okeke - Borchardt

Extended depth chart

PG Watson - Allen - Taylor 

SG Taylor - Gill - Palmer - Watson

SF Palmer - McVeigh - Taylor

PF Copeland - Roby - McVeigh

C  Jordy - Okeke - Borchardt - Copeland

• 4 months later...
On 10/22/2017 at 3:16 PM, uneblinstu said:

Despite this being game where the kept score, use referees and we were able to watch it on our media devices, read into the results of this game at your own risk. A few observations.

-  Glynn is still good.

- Palmer was the best player on the court.

- If today is any indication, they'll be a better 3 point shooting team.

- Gill did basketball things and didn't seem worse for the wear.

- Going on the road for this game will prove to be a good call, I think. 

- Felt a little like Copeland settled for outside shots. Would like to see him inside the arc a bit more.

- 48 points in the first half without getting much from the I-guys is a good sign. And to score 75 or whatever it was without much from them, too, is a bit of a statement of the depth of the team.

-  I liked that they had to fight through some adversity in holding off the late MSU charge and still come away with the win. That's a good thing you probably can't get in an exhibition.

- All-in-all, I really am happy with how this turned out for NU. 

Most importantly, this game is to raise support for Hurricane Relief. To lend your support go here:

This was pretty  spot on for the season