uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 10, prologue - Mississippi State

uneblinstu

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

Did i say that redshirting players was trending in any other way but down? No.

I said during Miles tenure, we have redshirted less than what i suspect the national average to be. Therefore, it doesnt seem likely we will redshirt two players in one season.

I doubt we redshirt anyone. My remark was a comment on people extrapolating opinions based on gut feelings.  As a fan of the social sciences, conventional wisdom can be true but many times turns out to be not so wise. Why do people ask a question just to answer it themselves? I don't know.

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Here's an interesting detail in last night's stats info:

According to the "Play-by-Play" stats page, Malcolm Laws played two and a half minutes last night.  But his name doesn't appear on the Box Score, where the total minutes still = 200.  How can that be?

Laws definitely showed up in the screenshot of the BoxScore I took at the half (shows 12 players in the Husker rotation with Laws credited for one minute). He does not show up in the BoxScore (from the same site) posted at the end of the game, however, so I don't know what happened.

Btw I like the BoxScore/Live Game Stats posted on the Miss State site.  For one thing it changes during the game to reflect which players (for both teams) are currently on the floor.

Edited by Red Don

34 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I doubt we redshirt anyone. My remark was a comment on people extrapolating opinions based on gut feelings.  As a fan of the social sciences, conventional wisdom can be true but many times turns out to be not so wise. Why do people ask a question just to answer it themselves? I don't know.

Well i ask a question bc i want ppl to share what they think the answer is. But i also answer it bc i want to share what i think the answer is. I want to give my take and reasoning on a topic but am also interested in what others think about said topic.

Edited by khoock

14 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Laws definitely showed up in the screenshot of the BoxScore I took at the half (shows 12 players in the Husker rotation with Laws credited for one minute). He does not show up in the BoxScore (from the same site) posted at the end of the game, however, so I don't know what happened.

Btw I like the BoxScore/Live Game Stats posted on the Miss State site.  For one thing it changes during the game to reflect which players (for both teams) are currently on the floor.

I listened to most of the second half on the radio.  Kent said only eleven guys played.

14 minutes ago, khoock said:

Well i ask a question bc i want ppl to share what they think the answer is. But i also answer it bc i want to share what i think the answer is. I want to give my take and reasoning on a topic but am also interested in what others think about said topic.

"Did i say that redshirting players was trending in any other way but down? No."

I don't think the rhetorical question you posted fits your explanation of why you did it. 

Did I post this to stir up trouble? No, I just can't seem to help myself.

2 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

"Did i say that redshirting players was trending in any other way but down? No."

I don't think the rhetorical question you posted fits your explanation of why you did it. 

Did I post this to stir up trouble? No, I just can't seem to help myself.

Ya caught me lol. I thought you were referring to a different post. Didnt even realize i did that.

Could it be that he subbed in and coach pulled him for someone else?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Could it be that he subbed in and coach pulled him for someone else?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It's a typo from the scorekeeper. Laws didn't play.

The boxscore shows Laws subbing-in @ 4:19 remaining in the first half; subbing-out @ 3:41; and Subbing-in @ 10:38, out @ 9:00 in the 2nd half.  If he didn't play that must mean we only had 4 players on the floor for 2:16, Right?  :Eek:  (we should have won by a greater margin :Lol:)

Of course your explanation is the best, Dimes - Scorekeepers just weren't in 'season-ready' form!

:D

Edited by Red Don

4 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

It is interesting to read the reactions of this board.

I'm going to oversimplify this, but in response to good things that happened, people are like "X and Y looked great! They will be big contributors for us this year."

In response to bad things, the response is "This is only the exhibition. I don't anticipate these issues in the regular season from A and B."

It certainly speaks to the optimism among hard-core fans right now.

I think part of that is that most people assume no one had their best game in the first exhibition action of the season.  Also, you know some of the not-so-good stuff is stuff they'll learn from, like nearly blowing a 23 point lead.  They'll learn from that.  So, I think it's safe to assume some of the not-so-good stuff will, in fact, get better.  And some of the good stuff is guys showing some of what they're capable of.  Like James Palmer having a scoring mentality.  Now we know a little about what the talk was about.

Also, using my Tanner Borchardt comments as an example, I'm not just going by the box score when I say he'll contribute.  Miles made comments in the post-game.  The fact that he played in a game where Thomas Allen got 5 minutes and two freshmen didn't see the floor at all says something.  He knows what he's supposed to be doing out there and he does the unglamorous stuff without making many mistakes.  What I saw of him on the floor just confirmed what I'd been hearing, which leads me to say he'll contribute this year.

34 minutes ago, Red Don said:

The boxscore shows Laws subbing-in @ 4:19 remaining in the first half; subbing-out @ 3:41; and Subbing-in @ 10:38, out @ 9:00 in the 2nd half.  If he didn't play that must mean we only had 4 players on the floor for 2:16, Right?  :Eek:  (we should have won by a greater margin :Lol:)

Of course your explanation is the best, Dimes - Scorekeepers just weren't in 'season-ready' form!

:D

Laws wore #13 last year, Gill wears it this year. Could it be that the scorekeeper had an old roster?

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

How tall is Zay's aunt?  She's either in really high heels or she's well over 6 foot.  Keep an eye on those kids.  If mom is over 6 foot, we've got some potential future Huskers going to their first Husker game today.  :D

Without being able to see which way her knees are bent, any predictions of future Nebrasketball worthiness at this point are pure speculation! B)

6 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

That nickname has to go. Scoring 17 on only 6 shots is the anti-TP. His stat line was much more likely to have those numbers reversed. He was a volume shooter. If Palmer can get near that number on near that attempts through out the season, he’s on one of the all Big10 teams. Would love to see it but not betting on it yet. 

I haven't seen any of the game, but if Palmer actually set a screen, then all the Petteway comparisons should end.  Because I honestly can't remember ever seeing Petteway set a screen.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Dimes posted the entire game on one of these threads.

Found it. Watched some of it. 

We play pretty hard and do some good stuff. Copeland and Palmer look very talented. Watson looks like he’s having some fun out there with those guys. Jordy improved a bit. Good for him. 

Mississippi State looks so bad. And they run one of the most boring half court sets to start most of their possessions. What a lame choice for college b-ball in 2017. 

Im optimistic on this year. I’m buying right now. 

6 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I thought Thor said he was receptive to redshirting when he came on board.  Perhaps I am mis-remembering.

24 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Found it. Watched some of it. 

We play pretty hard and do some good stuff. Copeland and Palmer look very talented. Watson looks like he’s having some fun out there with those guys. Jordy improved a bit. Good for him. 

Mississippi State looks so bad. And they run one of the most boring half court sets to start most of their possessions. What a lame choice for college b-ball in 2017. 

Im optimistic on this year. I’m buying right now. 

I actually thought Mississippi state looked pretty good.  Especially in the 2nd half when they settled down.  I actually think it was more us looking pretty dang good early than it was them looking bad.  They did some decent things and I think they will benefit from being a transition team this year.

9 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I thought Thor said he was receptive to redshirting when he came on board.  Perhaps I am mis-remembering.

He might have and if he did, good for him. I think many players around the country would benefit from a redshirt but not enough are willing to delay gratification which leads to no gratification and then a transfer. 

16 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think part of that is that most people assume no one had their best game in the first exhibition action of the season.  Also, you know some of the not-so-good stuff is stuff they'll learn from, like nearly blowing a 23 point lead.  They'll learn from that.  So, I think it's safe to assume some of the not-so-good stuff will, in fact, get better.  And some of the good stuff is guys showing some of what they're capable of.  Like James Palmer having a scoring mentality.  Now we know a little about what the talk was about.

Also, using my Tanner Borchardt comments as an example, I'm not just going by the box score when I say he'll contribute.  Miles made comments in the post-game.  The fact that he played in a game where Thomas Allen got 5 minutes and two freshmen didn't see the floor at all says something.  He knows what he's supposed to be doing out there and he does the unglamorous stuff without making many mistakes.  What I saw of him on the floor just confirmed what I'd been hearing, which leads me to say he'll contribute this year.

How do you coach killer instinct? We've lacked it for a while. Maybe it comes with experience? Or a shift in game plan? IDK. That part of things does concern me a bit.

Edited by uneblinstu

9 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

How do you coach killer instinct? We've lacked it for a while. Maybe it comes with experience? Or a shift in game plan, but it seems like we've lacked it for a while. That part of things does concern me a bit.

I think that is one of the toughest things for a coach to do. (turn the corner and have that killer instinct to finish off teams)  Experience is the key, the problem is you have to do it a few times to experience it.  I think it starts with a tough, smart, talented point guard with leadership skills.  I think we have one of those.

9 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

How do you coach killer instinct? We've lacked it for a while. Maybe it comes with experience? Or a shift in game plan, but it seems like we've lacked it for a while. That part of things does concern me a bit.

It's the difference between trying to kill teams and trying to hang on; both can let you down though. 

Run scrimmages/drills where the more a team wins by the bigger sort of carrot they get?