uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 10, prologue - Mississippi State

uneblinstu

21 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I think Miles was sending a message as well, that the freshmen need to work on some things before they are going to see the floor.  We have more depth this year, so we can demand more from everyone.  This is really the way it is suppose to be.  If Allen and the others are the players we think they will be, they will respond.

I am thinking along similar lines, but it's not as much as "sending a message" as it is having the luxury of enough depth that you can bring the freshmen along more carefully than have had to previously.  For so long we've had to force them to contribute right away but now we can let them develop and play when they're ready.  Which is nice.

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Here's an interesting detail in last night's stats info:

According to the "Play-by-Play" stats page, Malcolm Laws played two and a half minutes last night.  But his name doesn't appear on the Box Score, where the total minutes still = 200.  How can that be?

Best guess is that NU was playing an exhibition road game that was thrown together at relatively the last minute and the scorekeeper wasn't in mid-season form.

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Where is the traditional Husker basketball pessimism here? Did no one notice we are falling back into our old pattern of not getting the opening tip? Same old, same old. Time to put on your game faces, fans. Now let's get back to some football speculation about the next coach.

Yeah. They're all here: https://nebraska.rivals.com/

Some thoughts

• Anton Gill subbed in for Taylor to start; Roby subbed in for Copeland. When you see the offensive impact of Palmer and Copeland, it makes a lot of sense to pair Taylor with 4 guys who are more than comfortable shooting.  If we want to get Roby going offensively, having him as Copeland's backup means he won't be the 5th offensive option to start the game. Miles is fairly consistent with his lineups to start the season, especially if we're winning. That lineup can also change if someone is going to roll out two big forwards and a center.
  • Copeland shooting 6 3s shows me were ready for him to play a Pitchford type role in this offense.  Jordy and Dube will have room to operate in the paint.
  • Dube did some nice things on the court; he also did some Dube things that have kept him off the court his entire career.  He comes in with 15:56 to go in the second half and in the next 30 seconds turns the ball over and get's call for a foul in the process. One minute later and it's another foul (his 4th).  To the bench.
  • I'm not sure what level of practice Nana brings but not getting any PT probably indicates he's not practicing at a high level at this point in addition to being buried on the depth chart
  • Palmer scored those 17 points on 6 attempts.  mini-TP was quite efficient in this one.
  • Ben "I hate zone" Howland flummoxed us with some zone in this one. 
  • Guys seeing action in the last 5 minutes Jack, Glynn, Copeland, Taylor, Roby, Palmer, Dube

It is interesting to read the reactions of this board.

I'm going to oversimplify this, but in response to good things that happened, people are like "X and Y looked great! They will be big contributors for us this year."

In response to bad things, the response is "This is only the exhibition. I don't anticipate these issues in the regular season from A and B."

It certainly speaks to the optimism among hard-core fans right now.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

My thing with the freshmen (specifically Thomas Allen) is i thought they would be higher up in the rotation. I dont know how early he came off the bench but minutes played he was last of the 11 players thay saw the floor. Not surprised Thor didnt see any minutes in a game like setting. Nana was a little surprising.

I'd be surprised if Nana and Thor didn't redshirt. No sense burnin' a year if they're not going to get any real minutes.

17 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Some thoughts

•  
  • Dube did some nice things on the court; he also did some Dube things that have kept him off the court his entire career.  He comes in with 15:56 to go in the second half and in the next 30 seconds turns the ball over and get's call for a foul in the process. One minute later and it's another foul (his 4th).  To the bench.
  •  

I think that will get cleaned up during the season.  Like they said during the broadcast the new rules for moving screens is really going to be enforced strongly early in the season to acclimate everyone for what to expect going forward.  I would expect to see the players and coaches adjust things going forward and to see refs be as touchy with the whistle by the time we get to conference season.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I'd be surprised if Nana and Thor didn't redshirt. No sense burnin' a year if they're not going to get any real minutes.

I dont think they both redshirt. How many kids has Miles redshirted since hes been here? Nick Fuller is the only one that comes to mind. No way i see us getting two in one year. Now the counter arguement to that is we are deeper than in the past but i just dont see it happening. Maybe im wrong.

My guess is Thor redshirts. Nana plays and his time increases as he adjusts to what it takes to be a Big Ten college basketball player.

Edited by khoock
Add Biggs. I believe he voluntarily redshirted as well

20 minutes ago, khoock said:

I dont think they both redshirt. How many kids has Miles redshirted since hes been here? Nick Fuller is the only one that comes to mind. No way i see us getting two in one year. Now the counter arguement to that is we are deeper than in the past but i just dont see it happening. Maybe im wrong.

My guess is Thor redshirts. Nana plays and his time increases as he adjusts to what it takes to be a Big Ten college basketball player.

It’s not Miles. Kids don’t want to redshirt any more. The mentality has become “I want to play now and if I don’t, I am moving on down the road.”

Edited by Dean Smith

Just now, Dean Smith said:

It’s not Miles. Kids don’t want to redshirt any more. The mentality has become “I want to play now and if I don’t, I am moving on down the road.”

I dont have stats. But i feel like, on average,  schools are redshirting more than one kid per six years.

49 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Some thoughts: ...

• Palmer scored those 17 points on 6 attempts.  mini-TP was quite efficient in this one

That nickname has to go. Scoring 17 on only 6 shots is the anti-TP. His stat line was much more likely to have those numbers reversed. He was a volume shooter. If Palmer can get near that number on near that attempts through out the season, he’s on one of the all Big10 teams. Would love to see it but not betting on it yet. 

26 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

I think that will get cleaned up during the season.  Like they said during the broadcast the new rules for moving screens is really going to be enforced strongly early in the season to acclimate everyone for what to expect going forward.  I would expect to see the players and coaches adjust things going forward and to see refs be as touchy with the whistle by the time we get to conference season.

I sure hope so because last year he averaged a foul every 5 minutes.

That nickname has to go. Scoring 17 on only 6 shots is the anti-TP. His stat line was much more likely to have those numbers reversed. He was a volume shooter. If Palmer can get near that number on near that attempts through out the season, he’s on one of the all Big10 teams. Would love to see it but not betting on it yet. 

How about "Jim Palmer"? JP?

Or a little Shakespeare? "Have not saints lips, and Holy Palmers too?" 

Kent Pavelka-tron this: "JP for 3 . . . GOT IT!!! HOLY PALMER." Or if he's closer to the hoop: "Holy Palmer for two!"

That was a tongue in cheek tribute to LeeBo's article.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Some thoughts . . . 

• Guys seeing action in the last 5 minutes Jack, Glynn, Copeland, Taylor, Roby, Palmer, Dube

Interestingly, James Palmer played only the last 35 seconds of the last five minutes of the game.  According to the Play-by-Play info, James Palmer subbed out at the 05:05 mark, with the score 59-69, and he didn’t sub back in until the 00:34 mark, with the score 68-73.

58 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

So when you are looking up those stats, why don’t you see if you can find the overall trend line on number of redshirts. 

Did i say that redshirting players was trending in any other way but down? No.

I said during Miles tenure, we have redshirted less than what i suspect the national average to be. Therefore, it doesnt seem likely we will redshirt two players in one season.