Jump to content
tcp

Huskers picked 13th? Again?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Leebo picked us 9th in the media poll

 

He said last week on the radio he had NU 9th on his ballot, but he wouldn't be surprised if they actually finished in the top half of the conference--6th or 7th.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Des Moines Register writers pick the Big Ten (and break down Iowa):

 

First, the ballots.

Mark Emmert: 1. Michigan State, 2. Purdue, 3. Minnesota, 4. Iowa, 5. Northwestern, 6. Wisconsin, 7. Michigan, 8. Maryland, 9. Ohio State, 10. Indiana, 11. Penn State, 12. Illinois, 13. Rutgers, 14. Nebraska.

Chad Leistikow: 1. Michigan State, 2. Purdue, 3. Minnesota, 4. Iowa, 5. Maryland, 6. Northwestern, 7. Michigan, 8. Wisconsin, 9. Illinois, 10. Indiana, 11. Penn State, 12. Ohio State, 13. Rutgers, 14. Nebraska.

 

How the media specifically sees Iowa: On the 28 ballots, here's the breakdown — Third place (1 vote), fourth (2), fifth (2), sixth (3), seventh (4), eighth (9), ninth (5), 10th (2). 

 

On Iowa.

Leistikow: Let me start by saying I think Michigan State is the clear No. 1, then you can almost draw teams 2 through 8 out of a hat. And I'll add that Iowa players reading this would tell you that fourth place is too low. They’re a very optimistic bunch. And they should be. Despite having just one senior (in likely reserve Dom Uhl), this is probably the deepest and most talented roster of the Fran McCaffery era.

Emmert: It’s the depth and the experience gained last year that make me think the Hawkeyes can make a leap this year. Nicholas Baer, Jordan Bohannon and Tyler Cook are a terrific nucleus, but throw in Isaiah Moss, Cordell Pemsl and Ahmad Wagner, plus a potential impact freshman in Luka Garza, and you’ve got the beginnings of a Big Ten title contender. Maybe not this year, but certainly next. Then factor in a favorable schedule — Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin in home-only matchups — and a top-four finish becomes a real possibility. Also remember the road-game journey that Iowa took last year, from embarrassing flops early in conference season at Purdue and Northwestern, to gutty victories late at Maryland and Wisconsin. Those were hard-earned lessons, but it tells me the young players have a quick learning curve that should only accelerate this season.

 

Leistikow: Great point on the schedule. That is one of the main reasons I’ve got Iowa in the top four. When I filled out my ballot, I separated the clear top eight from the bottom six, then looked at who had the most favorable batch of five “mirror” plays. Two teams in my top eight got the benefit of three bottom-six mirror plays: Michigan State and, yes, Iowa. I think the Hawkeyes go either 5-1 or 6-0 against Indiana, Penn State and Ohio State (Nos. 10-12 on my ballot). Michigan and Northwestern got the toughest draws, with only one bottom-six mirror opponent each. That discrepancy, to me, was a key tiebreaker in sorting out positions 2 through 8.

 

Emmert: The schedule is such a big factor in the Big Ten race. The Hawkeyes went 10-8 in the league last year, and I think if Moss can flourish as Peter Jok’s replacement at the ‘2,’ they can get to 12-6 this year. That would likely give them a crucial double-bye in the conference tournament at Madison Square Garden. Considering how much recent Iowa teams have struggled in that event, a free path to quarterfinals would be a huge lift.

Leistikow: Before we get carried away, I don’t recommend betting the mortgage that Iowa finishes in the top four. Significant injuries to either Bohannon (with no proven point-guard backup) or Cook (who I think will be one of the Big Ten’s top forwards) could easily drop this team back to eighth ... or worse. But history is on our side, Mark. Since the league expanded to 14 teams, Iowa’s conference finishes are two ties for third place and last year’s tie for fifth. I think by season’s end, we’re writing about Iowa making a fourth trip to the NCAA Tournament in five years.

Emmert: Anything short of an NCAA Tournament berth would mean the team underachieved this winter. That’s certainly the vibe I got from the players Monday as well. There’s too much talent to stomach back-to-back NIT experiences. I think Hawkeye fans are in for an entertaining ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Des Moines Register writers pick the Big Ten (and break down Iowa):

 

First, the ballots.

Mark Emmert: 1. Michigan State, 2. Purdue, 3. Minnesota, 4. Iowa, 5. Northwestern, 6. Wisconsin, 7. Michigan, 8. Maryland, 9. Ohio State, 10. Indiana, 11. Penn State, 12. Illinois, 13. Rutgers, 14. Nebraska.

Chad Leistikow: 1. Michigan State, 2. Purdue, 3. Minnesota, 4. Iowa, 5. Maryland, 6. Northwestern, 7. Michigan, 8. Wisconsin, 9. Illinois, 10. Indiana, 11. Penn State, 12. Ohio State, 13. Rutgers, 14. Nebraska.

 

How the media specifically sees Iowa: On the 28 ballots, here's the breakdown — Third place (1 vote), fourth (2), fifth (2), sixth (3), seventh (4), eighth (9), ninth (5), 10th (2). 

 

On Iowa.

Leistikow: Let me start by saying I think Michigan State is the clear No. 1, then you can almost draw teams 2 through 8 out of a hat. And I'll add that Iowa players reading this would tell you that fourth place is too low. They’re a very optimistic bunch. And they should be. Despite having just one senior (in likely reserve Dom Uhl), this is probably the deepest and most talented roster of the Fran McCaffery era.

Emmert: It’s the depth and the experience gained last year that make me think the Hawkeyes can make a leap this year. Nicholas Baer, Jordan Bohannon and Tyler Cook are a terrific nucleus, but throw in Isaiah Moss, Cordell Pemsl and Ahmad Wagner, plus a potential impact freshman in Luka Garza, and you’ve got the beginnings of a Big Ten title contender. Maybe not this year, but certainly next. Then factor in a favorable schedule — Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin in home-only matchups — and a top-four finish becomes a real possibility. Also remember the road-game journey that Iowa took last year, from embarrassing flops early in conference season at Purdue and Northwestern, to gutty victories late at Maryland and Wisconsin. Those were hard-earned lessons, but it tells me the young players have a quick learning curve that should only accelerate this season.

 

Leistikow: Great point on the schedule. That is one of the main reasons I’ve got Iowa in the top four. When I filled out my ballot, I separated the clear top eight from the bottom six, then looked at who had the most favorable batch of five “mirror” plays. Two teams in my top eight got the benefit of three bottom-six mirror plays: Michigan State and, yes, Iowa. I think the Hawkeyes go either 5-1 or 6-0 against Indiana, Penn State and Ohio State (Nos. 10-12 on my ballot). Michigan and Northwestern got the toughest draws, with only one bottom-six mirror opponent each. That discrepancy, to me, was a key tiebreaker in sorting out positions 2 through 8.

 

Emmert: The schedule is such a big factor in the Big Ten race. The Hawkeyes went 10-8 in the league last year, and I think if Moss can flourish as Peter Jok’s replacement at the ‘2,’ they can get to 12-6 this year. That would likely give them a crucial double-bye in the conference tournament at Madison Square Garden. Considering how much recent Iowa teams have struggled in that event, a free path to quarterfinals would be a huge lift.

Leistikow: Before we get carried away, I don’t recommend betting the mortgage that Iowa finishes in the top four. Significant injuries to either Bohannon (with no proven point-guard backup) or Cook (who I think will be one of the Big Ten’s top forwards) could easily drop this team back to eighth ... or worse. But history is on our side, Mark. Since the league expanded to 14 teams, Iowa’s conference finishes are two ties for third place and last year’s tie for fifth. I think by season’s end, we’re writing about Iowa making a fourth trip to the NCAA Tournament in five years.

Emmert: Anything short of an NCAA Tournament berth would mean the team underachieved this winter. That’s certainly the vibe I got from the players Monday as well. There’s too much talent to stomach back-to-back NIT experiences. I think Hawkeye fans are in for an entertaining ride.

 

I'll bet my entire life savings that we finish above... or at least right at what these guys predicted.  <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They talk of a top 8 and a bottom 6, but of that bottom six, they clearly see Rutgers and then Nebraska as the bottom of the bottom. Let's just take them at their word and see what happens, especially on Jan. 27, 2018 at PBA and on BTN.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

 

I'll bet my entire life savings that we finish above... or at least right at what these guys predicted.  <_<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. 

 

We will need to earn it this year. 

 

R- Rebound

E- Earn foul shots

S- Shoot the three well

P- Protect the home court

E- Eliminate bad losses

C- Crack top half of conference

T- Ten win non con

 

That is how we will earn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hskr4life said:

 

R- Rebound

E- Earn foul shots

S- Shoot the three well

P- Protect the home court

E- Eliminate bad losses

C- Crack top half of conference

T- Ten win non con

 

That is how we will earn it.

 

Did you come up with the descriptions for that acronym?

 

I like it.

 

 

Edited by AuroranHusker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

 

R- Rebound

E- Earn foul shots

S- Shoot the three well

P- Protect the home court

E- Eliminate bad losses

C- Crack top half of conference

T- Ten win non con

 

That is how we will earn it.

It really needs to find the white board in the Husker locker room.  But perhaps the team goals are even loftier???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

 

Did you come up with the descriptions for that acronym?

 

I like it.

 

 

 

I did.  I was sitting here thinking "How can we ear respect this year."  Winning was too easy of an answer, I was like "How can we win to earn that respect."  That is when I did the acronym.  I just came up with things that we have struggled with in the past that we need to do better in order to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, huskercwg said:

It really needs to find the white board in the Husker locker room.  But perhaps the team goals are even loftier???

 

I would love if their goals are loftier.  I think that is something that they should certainly shoot for.  I think we will earn respect by doing things that I put down.  I hope the team comes out DEMANDING respect though.  That is going to win us a few more games if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

 

I would love if their goals are loftier.  I think that is something that they should certainly shoot for.  I think we will earn respect by doing things that I put down.  I hope the team comes out DEMANDING respect though.  That is going to win us a few more games if so.

 

Hmmm.  DEMANDING.  That's going to be a bit tougher.

 

D - Darn it, we're good enough, we're smart enough and people LIKE us.

E - Everybody get on the same page

M - this one's a Mystery

A - A I forget what A was for

N - Nd this is as far as I got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

 

I did.  I was sitting here thinking "How can we ear respect this year."  Winning was too easy of an answer, I was like "How can we win to earn that respect."  That is when I did the acronym.  I just came up with things that we have struggled with in the past that we need to do better in order to win.

 

 

I especially was enthused with the "C" for cracking the top half of the conference. Just kind of made me crack up (a lil' bit). All jokes aside, I liked and appreciated the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

 

 

I especially was enthused with the "C" for cracking the top half of the conference. Just kind of made me crack up (a lil' bit). All jokes aside, I liked and appreciated the list.

 

Excellent!  Can't wait for March when I can do one for how we will become N.A.T.I.O.N.A.L    C.H.A.M.P.S  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×