Underrated players

Huskerpapa

Here’s the paragraph about Glynn (and there is a photo to go with it):

Glynn Watson, Nebraska: Tim Miles has had to turn over rocks to find players during his tenure in Lincoln. You better believe he is grateful on a regular basis to have a Watson. The 6-foot point guard had 27 points last year in a loss against UCLA and 34 in a win over Iowa. The most underrated thing about Watson? How well he takes care of the ball. Watson averaged only 1.5 turnovers last season in 31.6 minutes — an impressive number considering how much he has the ball. If this guy played at a program like Michigan or Ohio State, he’d regularly be talked about as one of the top players in the Big Ten.

30 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Here’s the paragraph about Glynn (and there is a photo to go with it):

Glynn Watson, Nebraska: Tim Miles has had to turn over rocks to find players during his tenure in Lincoln. You better believe he is grateful on a regular basis to have a Watson. The 6-foot point guard had 27 points last year in a loss against UCLA and 34 in a win over Iowa. The most underrated thing about Watson? How well he takes care of the ball. Watson averaged only 1.5 turnovers last season in 31.6 minutes — an impressive number considering how much he has the ball. If this guy played at a program like Michigan or Ohio State, he’d regularly be talked about as one of the top players in the Big Ten.

I so agree with that.  If he was on a team at the top end of the conference standings, people would be like "Oh, yeah, GLYNN WATSON." 

I had to laugh at the comments on Reddit about Glynn that @49r linked to yesterday.  Illinois fan can't believe Dienhart had Nebraska ranked ahead of them: "I don't see how Nebraska is ahead of us or Ohio State, tbh, and I don't think OSU will be particularly good either. Glynn Watson as your best player by far doesn't leave you in a particularly enviable spot."

And then some Wichita State fan trying to talk like he knows anything about our program: "Nebraska above Ohio State? Without Shields, Petteway, or Webster, not happening. Watson is not that great, and Roby just isn't there yet. Tshimanga will be interesting to watch, though."

All I can say is that there's a certain advantage to being underrated.

One thing about Glynn is how he seems to do better against better competition, which is a good leadership trait that we will especially need for this team..

Last year against the better teams we've played: UCLA, Dayton, Clemson, Creighton, Kansas, Indiana, Maryland, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Mich St., Minnesota, Mich, Wisc.

Glynn's numbers were..

17.7 PPG, 45% FG (but factor in that he was a dismal 5/17 against CU and KU combined, 53% 3pt., and a Assist/TO ratio of 1.32/1 (which isn't great)