Jump to content
hhcdimes

Tim Miles Presser 10/2/2017

Recommended Posts

I had time to parse through the presser in detail. I concentrated more on the meat of what Miles said at the beginning.  He had some thoughts on the conference, Adidas, etc during the 2nd half that didn't seems super-important to type out.

 

If I had to throw out a starting lineup after that presser I'd say Watson-Palmer-Roby-Copeland-Jordy. (It's probably Taylor over Palmer though with Gill and even McVeigh in the mix at the 2)

 

10 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

He felt more grounded, less flighty, not as much yarn spinning as normal.

 

I've watched hours of Miles talking and I definitely agree with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2017 at 3:47 PM, hhcdimes said:

 

 

The big takeaways

 

  • In addition to the outdoor event, the Huskers will have an open to the public scrimmage
  • Jordy had surgery on his knee to address some tendinitis. Will only miss 5 more practices
  • Big picture the team has recruited shooters and has made yet another adjustment on their pack defense to defend the 3

Other info

Evan Taylor - Last game was his best game and he looks stronger, faster, quicker
Anton Gill - Has come back surprisingly well from injury, not showing issues in his first couple of practices back
Dube Okeke - Elite athlete, can block shots and offensive rebound Has made Jordy a better player.
Glynn Watson - Think he's ready to be an all-conference player.  He's more confident, a better leader, and this seems like his team
Jack McVeigh - "Jack McVeigh does what Jack McVeigh does....only with a full beard now....he makes shots"
James Palmer - Has practiced well and has practiced at the 1, 2, and 3.
Issac Copeland - Can play multiple positions and is strong/aggressive, especially on the offensive end...a very active player. Has made Roby a better player. Miles expects him to be a top 2 scorer, top 3 rebounder. The style Nebraska plays vs what Georgetown plays will be an adjustment.
Jordy - Out for 5 more practices because of preventative surgery to clear up some knee tendinitis 
Isaiah Roby (Miles sort of forgot to talk about Roby :) )
Thomas Allen - Can really shoot the ball...is more off guard than 2 guard at this point.
Nana Anketen - Can really shoot, excels at catch and shoot
Thor - Is adapting, needs to work on his outside shooting
Non-Scholarship
Tanner Borchardt - Has completely transformed his body, his confidence is growing, and could see meaningful playing time
Johhny Trueblood, Justin Costello - Miles is complementary but I wouldn't expect either to play meaningful minutes this year

Miles likes where the team is at mentally, physically...has a lot of length. This year's team seems more sure/bought in to their roles.
Thinks this is his deepest team.

Gives examples of versatility capable with this team.
Small
Two guards + 3. Palmer 4. Copeland 5. Roby
Big
Two guards + 3. Roby 4. Copeland 5. "A big"

The condensed schedule will be challenging as it will mean 7-9 "one day preps" for a coach that likes to run man defense.
Sees us throwing out multiples zones and/or more press 

Getting a good vibe from the team...they compete hard against each other.
We've benefited quite a bit from the transfer culture of the NCAA

 

 

 

Added to the first post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is another one of those “show my ignorance” times.

What does this mean: “Thomas Allen - Can really shoot the ball...is more off guard than 2 guard at this point”?  I thought “off guard” meant the 2 guard, in contrast to the point guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

This is another one of those “show my ignorance” times.

What does this mean: “Thomas Allen - Can really shoot the ball...is more off guard than 2 guard at this point”?  I thought “off guard” meant the 2 guard, in contrast to the point guard.

 

It's not just you. Typically off guard = 2 guard.

I think he meant 'more point guard than 2 guard at this point' as I get the impression he's Watson's backup right now, not someone that might start alongside him at the 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

 

It's not just you. Typically off guard = 2 guard.

I think he meant 'more point guard than 2 guard at this point' as I get the impression he's Watson's backup right now, not someone that might start alongside him at the 2.

 

Agree with this assessment.  

 

I also agree with your starting lineup prediction of Watson, Taylor, Roby, Copeland, and Jordy.  I think this lineup will be fun to watch, and very stout defensively.  My only concern, as usual, is shooting.  If Taylor can become a 35% 3pt threat, he transforms into a pretty high level B1G guard, in my opinion.  He does everything else--defense, ball handling, passing--well.  This lineup is going to be hard as hell to score on.  I'm fine with that.  

 

I don't think there is any circumstance where Jack plays the 2.  I think he's best at the 3-4.   I also think Nana is solidly a 3, but we'll see.  It's interesting to think of all of the shooting we have coming off the bench in Allen, Palmer, Nana, McVeigh... that's a great sign.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I don't think there is any circumstance where Jack plays the 2

 

Us running a zone and wanting 3pt shooting/length in that spot. Given that we number guys based on their defensive spots,  a zone places less emphasis on position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

 

Us running a zone and wanting 3pt shooting/length in that spot. Given that we number guys based on their defensive spots,  a zone places less emphasis on position. 

 

I see your logic defensively.   I don't think Jack can get open against a 2, and he is a liability as a ball handler against quicker players.  Against a zone, maybe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

It's not just you. Typically off guard = 2 guard.

I think he meant 'more point guard than 2 guard at this point' as I get the impression he's Watson's backup right now, not someone that might start alongside him at the 2.

I took it the other way. I thought he meant he is more of an off guard than a 1. It seems more likely he would mentally turn around 1 and 2 than point guard and off guard, but either way it was a mental mix up on the coach's part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LK1 said:

 

I see your logic defensively.   I don't think Jack can get open against a 2, and he is a liability as a ball handler against quicker players.  Against a zone, maybe.  

Just because he's the 2 defensively doesn't mean the opposition will guard him with a 2.  Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Just because he's the 2 defensively doesn't mean the opposition will guard him with a 2.  Right?

 

If you roll out Watson, McVeigh, Roby, Copeland, Jordy and they're guarding Watson with their 1....who are they guarding with their 2? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

 

It's not just you. Typically off guard = 2 guard.

I think he meant 'more point guard than 2 guard at this point' as I get the impression he's Watson's backup right now, not someone that might start alongside him at the 2.

 

From Miles' other comments, I also think he might have meant more point guard than 2 guard at this point... "Terrific with the ball in his hands... screen & roll well."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, New huskers fan said:

All this talk about zone defense has me wondering which ones would work best.
For some reason I'm thinking a 1-3-1 would be good.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
 

 

Who would you put at the top and bottom of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Issac Copeland - top 3 rebounder.

 

When he initially was talking about Copeland he said top 2 rebounder...hesitated when he thought about the team, and then went with top 3 rebounder. 

I wonder if he was thinking Jordy and Dube here or Jordy and Roby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He mentioned they made some adjustments to their Pack Line defense. Curious what those are and how it will impact things. I think they compacted it in closer to the lane last year.  Assuming they extend it back out a bit this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

On a 1-3-1 zone, there is no question in MY mind...Roby on top, Glynn on the bottom.  Roby's length would wreck havoc!

I was going to say I hate to be a nitpicker but I guess I don't hate it because here I am again. The way you were taught the 1-3-1 in middle school maybe is only one version. I'm sure there are people here that played high school ball and maybe had 2 or 3 different rotations they could put use on their 1-3-1. People talk about 1-3-1 or 2-3 or M-4-M as if they are one thing. The are all just someplace to start. There are almost an infinite variety of ways you can play any defense. John Thompson had a 1-3-1 where all four players rotated around a big man (he had some good ones) so every player could and at times was the point. Denny Crum (btw - there is a petition circulating to bring him back to Louisville) ran a 2-2-1 full court press 4 different ways. I actually remember 3 of them. I seem to be rambling here, but the point is things are not as simple and clear cut as most people seem to think they are in basketball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

 

When he initially was talking about Copeland he said top 2 rebounder...hesitated when he thought about the team, and then went with top 3 rebounder. 

I wonder if he was thinking Jordy and Dube here or Jordy and Roby

 

I'd guess Roby. In an ideal world, Duby doesn't play enough and Isaiah does for Roby to be the 2nd or 3rd leading rebounder. Should be Jordy, Isaac and Isaiah in some order if those players live up to hopes/expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

He mentioned they made some adjustments to their Pack Line defense. Curious what those are and how it will impact things. I think they compacted it in closer to the lane last year.  Assuming they extend it back out a bit this year.

 

I sure hope so! Last season, always caught myself saying, "Our defender needs to be a half-step closer to the three-point line..." right as their man received a pass and swished a not-so-contested three. I'm hoping this rosters length and athleticism will help with how we defend the three-point line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I was going to say I hate to be a nitpicker but I guess I don't hate it because here I am again. The way you were taught the 1-3-1 in middle school maybe is only one version. I'm sure there are people here that played high school ball and maybe had 2 or 3 different rotations they could put use on their 1-3-1. People talk about 1-3-1 or 2-3 or M-4-M as if they are one thing. The are all just someplace to start. There are almost an infinite variety of ways you can play any defense. John Thompson had a 1-3-1 where all four players rotated around a big man (he had some good ones) so every player could and at times was the point. Denny Crum (btw - there is a petition circulating to bring him back to Louisville) ran a 2-2-1 full court press 4 different ways. I actually remember 3 of them. I seem to be rambling here, but the point is things are not as simple and clear cut as most people seem to think they are in basketball.

 

For this thread

Simple version: assume we're running the same Xavier-inspired 1-3-1 from last year when one picks their guy at the top and bottom.

Complex version: Give your 5 players, define the flavor of 1-3-1 or any zone for that matter that might optimize the size/skill on the floor, and then denote where the players would defend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, khoock said:

Miles forgot to mention Malcolm Laws and nobody called him out on it.

 

I noticed that too and felt bad for him.  But 'dimes pointed out he forgot to talk about Isaiah too.  So I guess that's a little better 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i still hope this is the starting lineup:

 

Watson-Palmer-Roby-Copeland-Jordy

 

feels like the perfect mix of shooting, size, and playmaking.

 

little worried jordy is not practicing. we need him in the best shape possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×