Tim Miles Presser 10/2/2017

hhcmatt

The big takeaways

• In addition to the outdoor event, the Huskers will have an open to the public scrimmage
  • Jordy had surgery on his knee to address some tendinitis. Will only miss 5 more practices
  • Big picture the team has recruited shooters and has made yet another adjustment on their pack defense to defend the 3

Other info

Evan Taylor - Last game was his best game and he looks stronger, faster, quicker
Anton Gill - Has come back surprisingly well from injury, not showing issues in his first couple of practices back
Dube Okeke - Elite athlete, can block shots and offensive rebound Has made Jordy a better player.
Glynn Watson - Think he's ready to be an all-conference player.  He's more confident, a better leader, and this seems like his team
Jack McVeigh - "Jack McVeigh does what Jack McVeigh does....only with a full beard now....he makes shots"
James Palmer - Has practiced well and has practiced at the 1, 2, and 3.
Issac Copeland - Can play multiple positions and is strong/aggressive, especially on the offensive end...a very active player. Has made Roby a better player. Miles expects him to be a top 2 scorer, top 3 rebounder. The style Nebraska plays vs what Georgetown plays will be an adjustment.
Jordy - Out for 5 more practices because of preventative surgery to clear up some knee tendinitis 
Isaiah Roby (Miles sort of forgot to talk about Roby :) )
Thomas Allen - Can really shoot the ball...is more off guard than 2 guard at this point.
Nana Anketen - Can really shoot, excels at catch and shoot
Thor - Is adapting, needs to work on his outside shooting
Non-Scholarship
Tanner Borchardt - Has completely transformed his body, his confidence is growing, and could see meaningful playing time
Johhny Trueblood, Justin Costello - Miles is complementary but I wouldn't expect either to play meaningful minutes this year

Miles likes where the team is at mentally, physically...has a lot of length. This year's team seems more sure/bought in to their roles.
Thinks this is his deepest team.

Gives examples of versatility capable with this team.
Small
Two guards + 3. Palmer 4. Copeland 5. Roby
Big
Two guards + 3. Roby 4. Copeland 5. "A big"

The condensed schedule will be challenging as it will mean 7-9 "one day preps" for a coach that likes to run man defense.
Sees us throwing out multiples zones and/or more press 

Getting a good vibe from the team...they compete hard against each other.
We've benefited quite a bit from the transfer culture of the NCAA

View full article

A lot of good discussion points.  I especially like the comments on the flexibility IF the players perform.  Sounds like a number of philosophical, offensive and defensive changes.  Some subtle, perhaps others, not so subtle.  The presser seemed to extend far beyond the normal length, but perhaps that is my simple imagination.

Loved hearing his pitch on how well Nebrasketball does with transfers—making them successful.  You’ve gotta’ figure there will be a plethora (or maybe it’s a cornucopia or herd or gaggle or any other word meaning “lots of them”) out there in the months to come.

That, in conjunction with assurance that Nebrasketball is doing things the right way, is encouraging.

Edited by Swan88

Great to hear that they are addressing the problems with the current pack line scheme.  We should be athletic enough to defend the 3 no matter the scheme, much more so than last year.  But we can't allow so many wide open threes.  That is just a recipe to lose.  Was great to hear that they seem to be trying to address that issue. 

Highlights i found interesting:

-Borchardt is a dude!!! Could definetly see playing time. Which i dont see as such a bad thing. I know everybody hates creighton but once their PG went down last year they had a walk on splitting time there and still had a decent season.

-Palmer can play multiple positions: 1, 2, 3.

-Miles thinks having older more experienced guys in Okeke and Copeland has really helped Roby and Tshimanga develop.

-Glynn feels like this is his teamcand is expected to play/act like it. Coach says he is on the same level as All Big Ten selections Petteway (2x), Shields, and Webster.

-Miles expects Copeland to be the number 1 or 2 scorer and top 3 rebounder on the team.

-We can small: Roby at the 5, Copeland at the 4, Palmer at the 3 plus two gaurds.

We can play big: a center, Copeland and Roby at the forward spots, Palmer at the 2, and a PG

-When Watson and Taylor are on the same team in practice they "demolish" the other team. Other gaurds provide quality depth and good shooting.

-Anton has bounced back better than anticipated.

-Jordys procedure was more a preventative procedure than i necessary one. 

43 minutes ago, khoock said:

-Borchardt is a dude!!! Could definetly see playing time. Which i dont see as such a bad thing. I know everybody hates creighton but once their PG went down last year they had a walk on splitting time there and still had a decent season.

-Miles thinks having older more experienced guys in Okeke and Copeland has really helped Roby and Tshimanga develop.

-Glynn feels like this is his teamcand is expected to play/act like it. Coach says he is on the same level as All Big Ten selections Petteway (2x), Shields, and Webster.

-Miles expects Copeland to be the number 1 or 2 scorer and top 3 rebounder on the team.

-We can small: Roby at the 5, Copeland at the 4, Palmer at the 3 plus two gaurds.

We can play big: a center, Copeland and Roby at the forward spots, Palmer at the 2, and a PG

-When Watson and Taylor are on the same team in practice they "demolish" the other team. Other gaurds provide quality depth and good shooting.

I'm guessing Taylor is going to see a lot more playing time than what many think.  He started last year, is a physical player who can defend and there is just something about a guy who's team always wins in pick up games or scrimmages.  

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'm guessing Taylor is going to see a lot more playing time than what many think.  He started last year, is a physical player who can defend and there is just something about a guy who's team always wins in pick up games or scrimmages.  

Taylor is one of those guys we are guilty of missing every single year. He played a ton last year for a reason - I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a guy play a ton, have a great attitude, and then just sit on the bench the next year. Coaches love him, he's gonna play, and play a lot. Probably start, especially early. 

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Like this and him saying the two freshman coming in can shoot it as well as anyone.

27 minutes ago, khoock said:

Hate to admit that i am one of those who had reduced his role to 9 to 11 minutes a game type of guy. It is starting to look like i was wrong. Fortunately for us, we wont have to wait too much longer to find out.

It's not starting to look like anything. There haven't been any games yet. We know what we have from him. If the freshmen come in and start raining in 3's and can defend a little, too, you'll probably see them take some of ET's minutes. If not, they won't, but we won't really know that until the games start. Right now, all we have are rumors and speculation based on a few glimpses of practice and what we saw of ET last year.

29 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I will say that if Taylor does play a lot, it will be because a lot on here underestimated him.  NOT because we overestimated the team.

I really doubt that would be the reason he gets lots of playing time.  Per se.

People have to start admitting, if they haven't already, that this is a lot different pre-season than the "maybe this year will turn out different, but we've heard this all before" kinda stuff.

No, we haven't.  Just, no.  We have not heard this kind of talk coming out of the hoops program leading into a season in the Miles era ever.

Find a quote or a clip or anything of Miles sounding this confident going into a season ever before.

In 2014-15, he kept saying he was worried that we weren't as good as we thought and that we just got hot at the end of the prior year.  If there was any prior year you would have expected Miles to express great confidence, that was it.  Most all of the pieces back from a very successful run.  But that wasn't what he was saying.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Hate to admit that i am one of those who had reduced his role to 9 to 11 minutes a game type of guy. It is starting to look like i was wrong. Fortunately for us, we wont have to wait too much longer to find out.

It's human nature that I am totally guilty of. He doesn't do anything flashy, hasn't shown the ability to fill-up the scoreboard or stat sheet, and the unknown of what other players can do is so attractive. Yet he continues to play. Which tells me that he's great in practice, knows the defense inside and out, is a leader and respected by his teammates, and knows his role. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

It's human nature that I am totally guilty of. He doesn't do anything flashy, hasn't shown the ability to fill-up the scoreboard or stat sheet, and the unknown of what other players can do is so attractive. Yet he continues to play. Which tells me that he's great in practice, knows the defense inside and out, is a leader and respected by his teammates, and knows his role. 

Yeah, so, he's not making a lot of mistakes and he's not demanding the ball and taking it out of your scorers' hands.  He's willing to do the grunt work if that gets him on the floor. 

People said that about him coming in to the program last year.  He was just grateful to get an opportunity such that he was willing to accept any role he was given.  Remember, he wasn't sitting on other offers.  He was sitting with no offers at the D1 level with no real idea of exactly where he was headed when he got a call from our coaches in June and, literally days later, he was here and in the program.

And he's looking to parlay that into what appears to be a valuable role on what could potentially be the best Husker basketball team in 20 years. 

Rags to riches story, really, when you think about it.

I think ET is going to get quite a few minutes this year. How much is being a team leader and rugged defender worth in points?  Because I think he will be an 8 points, 3 boards, 2 assist kind of player this year. Point being is that whomever wants to take those minutes may have to do quite a bit better than that type of stat line to justify the change. Just trying to wear TM’s hat and how he may look at it. 

The great thing about ET is that he’s unselfish. Say someone does take his spot after the first 8 or so games. I don’t think it will hurt team chemistry as he will positively carve out whatever role the team needs. 

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Every team needs an ET. Proud that he's becoming a real leader in his final season. Hoping his shot continues to drop, he has a lot of tools in his bag already but if he can knock down shots consistently he'll be a real threat in the Husker lineup.

ET >> ED  Just stating for a friend.

11 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

If Palmer can defend as well as Taylor I think he gets the nod at starter. I do think that Taylor will always be a part of the rotation and wouldn't be shocked if he started the majority of games.