Jump to content
49r

2017-2018 KenPom Rankings Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jdostal said:

We were expected to win by 1 and we won by 3; that's not gonna move the kenpom meter much.

 

Yup. A team that belongs in the top 20-30 should beat this Maryland team by 10.  We've seen we're capable of killing a team and capable of being killed....at this point just good consistent play that might not impress computers will do nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I'm calling BS again on Kenny's system here.  Back on Jan 22, we were 63rd and projected to only win 19 games on the season.

 

We're now projected to win 22 games but that only bumps us up to #52?  Doing better than he expected doesn't seem to have moved the needle very much.  Time to tweak his system a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, do I really have to do this today?  Here is today's KenPom update:

 

 


 


KenPom rankings as of 2-19-18
=========================

 

B1G (11-5):
4. Michigan State (10) - L
6. Purdue (17) - L
17. Ohio State (78) - L
23. Michigan (32) - W
25. Penn State (40) - L
41. Maryland (41) - W
56. Nebraska (98)
72. Indiana (65)

78. Northwestern (18) - W

90. Wisconsin (31) - W, W
99. Iowa (54) - W
102. Minnesota (36) - W, W
105. Illinois (104) - W, L
142. Rutgers (125) - W, W

 


Non-Conference (9-4):
263. Eastern Illinois - W
177. North Texas - W

 

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
71. @St. John's - L

248. North Dakota - W

 

---Advocare Invitational---
93. UCF - L
317. Marist - W
192. Long Beach State - W

 

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
80. Boston College - W

 

27. @Creighton - L

 

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
11. Kansas - L

 

175. UTSA - W
351. Delaware State - W
311. Stetson - W

 

 

**Parenthesis after the Big Ten team names indicates the season starting KenPom ranking.

**Blue indicates NIT team from last year, Red is NCAA Tourney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

9-1 against teams below us is still a hell of a run.  Would be interested to see the team that finished 4th last year and their record against teams below them.

 

That would be Minnesota. Went 11-7 in the Big Ten regular season, with 2-3 against the top 3 (Purdue, Wisconsin, and Maryland), and 9-4 against the rest.

 

Their four losses came at Penn State, home and away against Michigan State, and at Ohio State.

Edited by Shawn Eichorst's Toupee
added in loss detail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was certain we'd have a subconscious agreement to not bring this thread up today. 

On a happier note, we're not moving much, either. it seems like we're destined to be in the mid 50s win or lose. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

 

That would be Minnesota. Went 11-7 in the Big Ten regular season, with 2-3 against the top 3 (Purdue, Wisconsin, and Maryland), and 9-4 against the rest.

 

Their four losses came at Penn State, home and away against Michigan State, and at Ohio State.

 

Thanks!  So we have the chance to go 2-4, 10-1.  I would say that’s a pretty big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did PSU really jump to 25?  If they stay at 25 or better, if NU can beat them that would also be a Q1 win, correct?

 

(also, another Q1 loss from game at PSU, but by no means a bad loss or was loss to 25-50 team on road already Q1 loss?)

Edited by NUtball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hskr4life said:

 

Tier system..... Penn State (hottest team in Big 10, a few huge wins, only team to beat OSU... twice) TIER 3 HOME GAME.

 

Ridiculous.  

The same team Lunardi says can make a big bubble run. I’m sure if Nebraska wins though, just 2 mediocre teams.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, northwillriseagain said:

The same team Lunardi says can make a big bubble run. I’m sure if Nebraska wins though, just 2 mediocre teams.

 

 

Penn State has two potentially quad 1 wins in their final 2 games.   Thats why.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holding steady at #56 - we'll know by game time Sunday what we need to do go get that #4 spot in the BTT.  Worst case scenario we finish #5. 

 

Tue Jan 2 97 80 Northwestern W, 70-55 62   Away 11-5 2-1 b.gif
Sat Jan 6 81 6 Purdue L, 74-62 72   Away 11-6 2-2 a.gif
Tue Jan 9 81 85 Wisconsin W, 63-59 66   Home 12-6 3-2  
Fri Jan 12 81 25 Penn St. L, 76-74 76 OT Away 12-7 3-3 a.gif
Mon Jan 15 81 105 Illinois W, 64-63 66   Home 13-7 4-3  
Thu Jan 18 85 24 Michigan W, 72-52 59   Home 14-7 5-3 b.gif
Mon Jan 22 67 14 Ohio St. L, 64-59 61   Away 14-8 5-4 a.gif
Wed Jan 24 65 154 Rutgers W, 60-54 65   Away 15-8 6-4 b.gif
Sat Jan 27 63 99 Iowa W, 98-84 70   Home 16-8 7-4  
Mon Jan 29 61 85 Wisconsin W, 74-63 70   Away 17-8 8-4 b.gif
Tue Feb 6 61 106 Minnesota W, 91-85 69   Away 18-8 9-4 b.gif
Sat Feb 10 56 154 Rutgers W, 67-55 62   Home 19-8 10-4  
Tue Feb 13 52 36 Maryland W, 70-66 64   Home 20-8 11-4 b.gif
Sun Feb 18 53 105 Illinois L, 72-66 65   Away 20-9 11-5 b.gif
Tue Feb 20 56 73 Indiana W, 66-57 65   Home 21-9 12-5  
Sun Feb 25   25 Penn St. W, 71-70 67 51% Home   × b.gif
Projected record: 22-9 13-5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm riffing here, so my recollection might be in huge error--but it seems to me we've only had 3 home court opportunities at 1 Quadrant games all season. And in that group, we went 2-1 with the only loss a last second make by KU. We were that close to going undefeated against Quad 1 teams at home this season (and it's already been said that the committee is likely to grants us that status for the Minny pre-scandal win). 

 

You have to believe that's going to mitigate the rpi effect in the selection process. we just didn't get hardly any home games to prove ourselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tcp said:

I'm riffing here, so my recollection might be in huge error--but it seems to me we've only had 3 home court opportunities at 1 Quadrant games all season. And in that group, we went 2-1 with the only loss a last second make by KU. We were that close to going undefeated against Quad 1 teams at home this season (and it's already been said that the committee is likely to grants us that status for the Minny pre-scandal win). 

 

You have to believe that's going to mitigate the rpi effect in the selection process. we just didn't get hardly any home games to prove ourselves. 

 

You bring up a good point.   The X Factor in this is the Minnesota game.   The committee says they take things like injuries into account.   How do they view the suspension of Lynch.  And how much weight will they put on it.  Thats the part that no one knows outside the room and its frustrating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nustudent said:

 

You bring up a good point.   The X Factor in this is the Minnesota game.   The committee says they take things like injuries into account.   How do they view the suspension of Lynch.  And how much weight will they put on it.  Thats the part that no one knows outside the room and its frustrating

 

Actually, I believe that was specifically talked about in the broadcast during the Illinois game (before we wet the bed). But that could have been just the thoughts of the B1G rep only. But I think that's not something publicly if they're just lobbying. 

 

I really think they do give us credit. And acknowledge that the schedule was beyond our control. 

I think we're going to look better in the process than fans think, what with our obsession over rpi and whatever that goatf***ing cretin Lunardi has to snark about (I'm just being bitter). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tcp said:

 

Actually, I believe that was specifically talked about in the broadcast during the Illinois game (before we wet the bed). But that could have been just the thoughts of the B1G rep only. But I think that's not something publicly if they're just lobbying. 

 

I really think they do give us credit. And acknowledge that the schedule was beyond our control. 

I think we're going to look better in the process than fans think, what with our obsession over rpi and whatever that goatf***ing cretin Lunardi has to snark about (I'm just being bitter). 

Dont think it is just the BTN guy who thinks that.   I think the committee has intentions on reviewing things like that.   My question is not if they do...but how much stock and value do they actually put into it.   My gut instinct says not much.

 

I don't think SOS or RPI is going to be a concern for us.   THey aren't ideal....but it's pretty obvious we tried to get some good teams on the schedule in the part that we have a control over.   Only question for me is if we can show that we have beaten enough quality teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Dont think it is just the BTN guy who thinks that.   I think the committee has intentions on reviewing things like that.   My question is not if they do...but how much stock and value do they actually put into it.   My gut instinct says not much.

 

I don't think SOS or RPI is going to be a concern for us.   THey aren't ideal....but it's pretty obvious we tried to get some good teams on the schedule in the part that we have a control over.   Only question for me is if we can show that we have beaten enough quality teams

IIRC, Bruce Rasmussen said in the Omaha World Herald that they would take into account the Minnesota game, when they were at full strength. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brfrad said:

IIRC, Bruce Rasmussen said in the Omaha World Herald that they would take into account the Minnesota game, when they were at full strength. 

I think he did.   I have no doubt they say they do....I just doubt how much they actually do behind closed doors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woo, Delaware State on the uprise!  Here is today's KenPom update:

 

 


 


KenPom rankings as of 2-21-18
=========================

 

B1G (12-5):
4. Michigan State (10) - L
6. Purdue (17) - L
14. Ohio State (78) - L
24. Michigan (32) - W
25. Penn State (40) - L
36. Maryland (41) - W
56. Nebraska (98)
73. Indiana (65) - W

80. Northwestern (18) - W

85. Wisconsin (31) - W, W
99. Iowa (54) - W
105. Illinois (104) - W, L
106. Minnesota (36) - W, W
154. Rutgers (125) - W, W

 


Non-Conference (9-4):
262. Eastern Illinois - W
176. North Texas - W

 

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
71. @St. John's - L

249. North Dakota - W

 

---Advocare Invitational---
93. UCF - L
319. Marist - W
194. Long Beach State - W

 

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
83. Boston College - W

 

35. @Creighton - L

 

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
11. Kansas - L

 

173. UTSA - W
350. Delaware State - W
312. Stetson - W

 

 

**Parenthesis after the Big Ten team names indicates the season starting KenPom ranking.

**Blue indicates NIT team from last year, Red is NCAA Tourney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By 49r
      Well, folks, it's getting to be that time of year again.  Nights are getting cooler (finally), football season is well underway, soon the leaves will be turning, and 49r is starting the KenPom Rankings Thread.  
       
      For anyone interested in viewing last year's thread, you can click here.
       
      We're going to start off this year as always with the upcoming schedule and each team's final rankings from last season, and there is no doubt #98 is not anywhere near where your Huskers are gonna be starting off in the initial KenPom Rankings due around the end of the month.
       
      If I were a betting man, I would say we'll probably be lucky to start off in the top 150 this year, once again putting us squarely in the bottom four of the B1G.  The good news is the guys will have plenty of opportunities early on in the season to make quick jumps up the KenPom rankings with some wins.
       
      So without further ado, here we go!  Hope everyone enjoys!
       

       
      KenPom rankings as of 4-04-16.
      ==========================   B1G (0-0): 5. Michigan State 14. Purdue 15. Indiana 23. Iowa  25. Maryland 33. Wisconsin 58. Michigan 78. Northwestern 80. Ohio State 98. Nebraska 132. Illinois 146. Penn State 223. Minnesota 291. Rutgers   Non-Conference (0-0): 284. Sacramento State nr. University of Mary 152. Louisiana Tech   ---DirecTV Wooden Legacy--- 59. Dayton 79. / 214. UCLA / Portland 19. / 57./ 126. / 239. Texas A&M / Virginia Tech / New Mexico / Cal State Northridge   ---B1G/ACC Challenge---  48. @Clemson   221. South Dakota 37. Creighton 4. @Kansas 225. Gardner Webb 231. Southern
    • By 49r
      Now that practice has started, I think it's close enough to the season to get the KenPom thread for this year going again (and also to beat Actuary to the punch on starting the KenPom thread, finally).
       
      So, here are the final KenPom rankings for last year with our 2015-16 schedule.  I expect the new rankings to come out in a couple weeks but for now this should be a decent enough spot to start some discussion.
       
      I can see Goodman's point, it does look kinda cupcake-y, but also there's quite a few games that will be much bigger challenges.  What do you think???
       
      KenPom rankings as of 4-06-15.
      ===========================   B1G (0-0): 3. Wisconsin 15. Michigan State 19. Iowa 21. Ohio State 32. Maryland 48. Purdue 53. Indiana 58. Minnesota 69. Illinois 75. Michigan 82. Penn State 118. Northwestern 133. Nebraska 215. Rutgers   Non-Conference (0-0): 347. Mississippi Valley State   ---Gavitt Tipoff Games--- 6. @Villanova   255. Delaware State   ---Barclay's Center Classic--- 312. Southeastern Louisiana 323. Arkansas Pine-Bluff 34. Cincinnati 74. George Washington, 89. Tennessee   ---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 46. Miami   335. Abilene Christian 85. @Creighton 56. Rhode Island 283. Samford 303. Prairie View A&M
    • By HuskerActuary
      KenPom's preseason rankings are released. We are #34. I'll let 49r do his usual, thorough analysis if he wants to.
       
      There are 11 Big Ten teams in the top 40.
    • By 49r
      Looked today and on Kenpom.com, and I see Nebraska comes in as easily the lowest rated B1G team, clocking in at a whopping 216.

      Next lowest rated?

      Northwestern.

      At 90.

      Here are the rest...

      67 - Penn State
      54 - Illinois
      53 - Iowa
      37 - Purdue
      26 - Minnesota
      12 - Michigan
      5 - Wisconsin
      4 - Michigan State
      3 - Indiana
      2 - Ohio State

      Remember the days when we used to chastise Doc for scheduling games against teams in the +200 RPI range?

      Yeah...

      Happy Halloween everybody!
    • By HuskerActuary
      I thought I would start a new thread for this year's KenPom rankings.
       
      I tweeted at Ken Pomeroy and he told me that his preseason rankings will be released the day after the AP preseason poll is released. That should be fairly soon, shouldn't it?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×