2017-2018 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

1 hour ago, jdostal said:

We were expected to win by 1 and we won by 3; that's not gonna move the kenpom meter much.

Yup. A team that belongs in the top 20-30 should beat this Maryland team by 10.  We've seen we're capable of killing a team and capable of being killed....at this point just good consistent play that might not impress computers will do nicely.

Ugh, do I really have to do this today?  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 2-19-18
=========================

B1G (11-5):
4. Michigan State (10) - L
6. Purdue (17) - L
17. Ohio State (78) - L
23. Michigan (32) - W
25. Penn State (40) - L
41. Maryland (41) - W
56. Nebraska (98)
72. Indiana (65)

78. Northwestern (18) - W

90. Wisconsin (31) - W, W
99. Iowa (54) - W
102. Minnesota (36) - W, W
105. Illinois (104) - W, L
142. Rutgers (125) - W, W

Non-Conference (9-4):
263. Eastern Illinois - W
177. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
71. @St. John's - L

248. North Dakota - W

---Advocare Invitational---
93. UCF - L
317. Marist - W
192. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
80. Boston College - W

27. @Creighton - L

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
11. Kansas - L

175. UTSA - W
351. Delaware State - W
311. Stetson - W

**Parenthesis after the Big Ten team names indicates the season starting KenPom ranking.

**Blue indicates NIT team from last year, Red is NCAA Tourney

32 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

9-1 against teams below us is still a hell of a run.  Would be interested to see the team that finished 4th last year and their record against teams below them.

That would be Minnesota. Went 11-7 in the Big Ten regular season, with 2-3 against the top 3 (Purdue, Wisconsin, and Maryland), and 9-4 against the rest.

Their four losses came at Penn State, home and away against Michigan State, and at Ohio State.

Edited by Shawn Eichorst's Toupee
added in loss detail

2 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

That would be Minnesota. Went 11-7 in the Big Ten regular season, with 2-3 against the top 3 (Purdue, Wisconsin, and Maryland), and 9-4 against the rest.

Their four losses came at Penn State, home and away against Michigan State, and at Ohio State.

Thanks!  So we have the chance to go 2-4, 10-1.  I would say that’s a pretty big deal.

Holding steady at #56 - we'll know by game time Sunday what we need to do go get that #4 spot in the BTT.  Worst case scenario we finish #5. 

Tue Jan 2 97 80 Northwestern W, 70-55 62   Away 11-5 2-1 b.gif
Sat Jan 6 81 6 Purdue L, 74-62 72   Away 11-6 2-2 a.gif
Tue Jan 9 81 85 Wisconsin W, 63-59 66   Home 12-6 3-2  
Fri Jan 12 81 25 Penn St. L, 76-74 76 OT Away 12-7 3-3 a.gif
Mon Jan 15 81 105 Illinois W, 64-63 66   Home 13-7 4-3  
Thu Jan 18 85 24 Michigan W, 72-52 59   Home 14-7 5-3 b.gif
Mon Jan 22 67 14 Ohio St. L, 64-59 61   Away 14-8 5-4 a.gif
Wed Jan 24 65 154 Rutgers W, 60-54 65   Away 15-8 6-4 b.gif
Sat Jan 27 63 99 Iowa W, 98-84 70   Home 16-8 7-4  
Mon Jan 29 61 85 Wisconsin W, 74-63 70   Away 17-8 8-4 b.gif
Tue Feb 6 61 106 Minnesota W, 91-85 69   Away 18-8 9-4 b.gif
Sat Feb 10 56 154 Rutgers W, 67-55 62   Home 19-8 10-4  
Tue Feb 13 52 36 Maryland W, 70-66 64   Home 20-8 11-4 b.gif
Sun Feb 18 53 105 Illinois L, 72-66 65   Away 20-9 11-5 b.gif
Tue Feb 20 56 73 Indiana W, 66-57 65   Home 21-9 12-5  
Sun Feb 25   25 Penn St. W, 71-70 67 51% Home   × b.gif
Projected record: 22-9 13-5

I'm riffing here, so my recollection might be in huge error--but it seems to me we've only had 3 home court opportunities at 1 Quadrant games all season. And in that group, we went 2-1 with the only loss a last second make by KU. We were that close to going undefeated against Quad 1 teams at home this season (and it's already been said that the committee is likely to grants us that status for the Minny pre-scandal win). 

You have to believe that's going to mitigate the rpi effect in the selection process. we just didn't get hardly any home games to prove ourselves. 

1 minute ago, tcp said:

I'm riffing here, so my recollection might be in huge error--but it seems to me we've only had 3 home court opportunities at 1 Quadrant games all season. And in that group, we went 2-1 with the only loss a last second make by KU. We were that close to going undefeated against Quad 1 teams at home this season (and it's already been said that the committee is likely to grants us that status for the Minny pre-scandal win). 

You have to believe that's going to mitigate the rpi effect in the selection process. we just didn't get hardly any home games to prove ourselves. 

You bring up a good point.   The X Factor in this is the Minnesota game.   The committee says they take things like injuries into account.   How do they view the suspension of Lynch.  And how much weight will they put on it.  Thats the part that no one knows outside the room and its frustrating

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

You bring up a good point.   The X Factor in this is the Minnesota game.   The committee says they take things like injuries into account.   How do they view the suspension of Lynch.  And how much weight will they put on it.  Thats the part that no one knows outside the room and its frustrating

Actually, I believe that was specifically talked about in the broadcast during the Illinois game (before we wet the bed). But that could have been just the thoughts of the B1G rep only. But I think that's not something publicly if they're just lobbying. 

I really think they do give us credit. And acknowledge that the schedule was beyond our control. 

I think we're going to look better in the process than fans think, what with our obsession over rpi and whatever that goatf***ing cretin Lunardi has to snark about (I'm just being bitter). 

1 minute ago, tcp said:

Actually, I believe that was specifically talked about in the broadcast during the Illinois game (before we wet the bed). But that could have been just the thoughts of the B1G rep only. But I think that's not something publicly if they're just lobbying. 

I really think they do give us credit. And acknowledge that the schedule was beyond our control. 

I think we're going to look better in the process than fans think, what with our obsession over rpi and whatever that goatf***ing cretin Lunardi has to snark about (I'm just being bitter). 

Dont think it is just the BTN guy who thinks that.   I think the committee has intentions on reviewing things like that.   My question is not if they do...but how much stock and value do they actually put into it.   My gut instinct says not much.

I don't think SOS or RPI is going to be a concern for us.   THey aren't ideal....but it's pretty obvious we tried to get some good teams on the schedule in the part that we have a control over.   Only question for me is if we can show that we have beaten enough quality teams

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Dont think it is just the BTN guy who thinks that.   I think the committee has intentions on reviewing things like that.   My question is not if they do...but how much stock and value do they actually put into it.   My gut instinct says not much.

I don't think SOS or RPI is going to be a concern for us.   THey aren't ideal....but it's pretty obvious we tried to get some good teams on the schedule in the part that we have a control over.   Only question for me is if we can show that we have beaten enough quality teams

IIRC, Bruce Rasmussen said in the Omaha World Herald that they would take into account the Minnesota game, when they were at full strength. 

Woo, Delaware State on the uprise!  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 2-21-18
=========================

B1G (12-5):
4. Michigan State (10) - L
6. Purdue (17) - L
14. Ohio State (78) - L
24. Michigan (32) - W
25. Penn State (40) - L
36. Maryland (41) - W
56. Nebraska (98)
73. Indiana (65) - W

80. Northwestern (18) - W

85. Wisconsin (31) - W, W
99. Iowa (54) - W
105. Illinois (104) - W, L
106. Minnesota (36) - W, W
154. Rutgers (125) - W, W

Non-Conference (9-4):
262. Eastern Illinois - W
176. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
71. @St. John's - L

249. North Dakota - W

---Advocare Invitational---
93. UCF - L
319. Marist - W
194. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
83. Boston College - W

35. @Creighton - L

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
11. Kansas - L

173. UTSA - W
350. Delaware State - W
312. Stetson - W

**Parenthesis after the Big Ten team names indicates the season starting KenPom ranking.

**Blue indicates NIT team from last year, Red is NCAA Tourney