2017-2018 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

Nice 14 spot bump since after the Stetson game, if we can avoid being blown out on Saturday things start to line up pretty nicely for us going forward.  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 1-3-18

========================

B1G (2-1):

2. Michigan State (10) - L

3. Purdue (17)

32. Maryland (41)
33. Michigan (32)
42. Penn State (40)
43. Minnesota (36) - W
46. Ohio State (78)
64. Northwestern (18) - W
69. Wisconsin (31)
82. Iowa (54)
84. Nebraska (98)
88. Illinois (104)
95. Indiana (65)
121. Rutgers (125)

Non-Conference (9-4):
257. Eastern Illinois - W
210. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
59. @St. John's - L

277. North Dakota - W

---Advocare Invitational---
76. UCF - L
319. Marist - W
235. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
75. Boston College - W

30. @Creighton - L

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
7. Kansas - L

191. UTSA - W
350. Delaware State - W
296. Stetson - W
Edited by 49r

Quick update this morning, there's been a good deal of shuffling this week and we are as high as we're likely to be for a while so I wanted to get this up for posterity's sake.  :)  Michigan State is now #1.  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 1-5-18

========================

B1G (2-1):

1. Michigan State (10) - L

4. Purdue (17)

32. Michigan (32)
35. Maryland (41)
39. Ohio State (78)
42. Minnesota (36) - W
43. Penn State (40)
65. Northwestern (18) - W
70. Wisconsin (31)
81. Nebraska (98)
84. Iowa (54)
89. Illinois (104)
95. Indiana (65)
127. Rutgers (125)

Non-Conference (9-4):
240. Eastern Illinois - W
212. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
57. @St. John's - L

288. North Dakota - W

77. UCF - L
321. Marist - W
227. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
71. Boston College - W

30. @Creighton - L

7. Kansas - L

184. UTSA - W
349. Delaware State - W
296. Stetson - W

A couple of thoughts from me....

1.  Man do we need UCF to keep on winning.  That would really help if we didn't have a loss to a sub 100 team this year.  (I don't plan on losing to Buttgers)

2.  After Purdue and Michigan State, there is a huge drop off.  Very good opportunity lies ahead for this team.  While the game this weekend is nowhere close to a must win, getting a W at Purdue would mean wonders at the end of this season.

3.  After Purdue, we get Wisco at home, @ Penn State, then home against Illinois and Michigan.  3/4 of those teams are ahead of us and winning 3/4... maybe even 4/4 seems not that far stretched.

4.  RealTime RPI has us going 19-12 and 10-8 right now.  RPI Forecast says the most likely record is 17-14.  

5.  3 teams are 3-0 right now... we play them each once and all on the road.  PROTECT THE VAULT!

19 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

how is northwestern still ahead of us? they have a worse record, fewer quality wins, and our strength of schedule is about the same.

Pomeroy's formula is slow to react.  Northwestern has fallen almost 60 spots since the beginning of the year, which is significant.  We've jumped almost 20.  Have patience.

54 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

A couple of thoughts from me....

1.  Man do we need UCF to keep on winning.  That would really help if we didn't have a loss to a sub 100 team this year.  (I don't plan on losing to Buttgers)

2.  After Purdue and Michigan State, there is a huge drop off.  Very good opportunity lies ahead for this team.  While the game this weekend is nowhere close to a must win, getting a W at Purdue would mean wonders at the end of this season.

3.  After Purdue, we get Wisco at home, @ Penn State, then home against Illinois and Michigan.  3/4 of those teams are ahead of us and winning 3/4... maybe even 4/4 seems not that far stretched.

4.  RealTime RPI has us going 19-12 and 10-8 right now.  RPI Forecast says the most likely record is 17-14.  

5.  3 teams are 3-0 right now... we play them each once and all on the road.  PROTECT THE VAULT!

I agree that tomorrow isn't a must win, but man would it let me breath easier with our tourney chances. A tall task yes but I look at our remaining schedule with the RPI ratings on ESPN and the opportunity for good wins is getting minimal. And I think Maryland and Minnesota's RPI's are going to drop as the Jackson injury starts to take effect as well as the Lynch suspension. You look at this and almost laugh....Wisconsin and Indiana both under 100. We're currently 74 and Northwestern is now 92 after Tuesday night.

image.png

Edited by OmahaHusker

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Quick update this morning, there's been a good deal of shuffling this week and we are as high as we're likely to be for a while so I wanted to get this up for posterity's sake.  :)  Michigan State is now #1.  Here is today's KenPom update:

You mean as high as we're going to be ... until we beat Purdue?

It's so nice looking at our schedule to this point and not seeing any horrifying losses.  That's just as important as quality wins come Selection Sunday.  

This team has proven enough to me to believe will absolutely protect The Vault, but they have absolutely NO reason to be intimidated on the road against any team outside of MSU, who I think will run straight through the NCAA title this year.  The NW win told me a whole lot of good news about their ceiling as a road team.  

Good news is we didn't drop any after the loss.  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 1-5-18

========================

B1G (2-2):

1. Michigan State (10) - L

5. Purdue (17) - L

33. Michigan (32)
36. Maryland (41)
37. Ohio State (78)
43. Minnesota (36) - W
42. Penn State (40)
69. Northwestern (18) - W
78. Wisconsin (31)
81. Nebraska (98)
84. Iowa (54)
86. Illinois (104)
99. Indiana (65)
117. Rutgers (125)

Non-Conference (9-4):
242. Eastern Illinois - W
211. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
74. @St. John's - L

292. North Dakota - W

79. UCF - L
321. Marist - W
223. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
68. Boston College - W

19. @Creighton - L

7. Kansas - L

181. UTSA - W
350. Delaware State - W
286. Stetson - W

Purdue is the number 5 team in Kenpom right now; and most are saying that we had every chance and could have easily won if we had hit some open shots and not shots ourselves in the foot a few times. There are no moral victories, and nobody will look at KenPom in terms of who gets into the tournament, but I think this shows how close we really are and how much talent we have.

I am including the Big East as a Power Conference in my statement here...

There are only 16 teams rated below Nebraska in the 6 Power Conferences according to Kenpom... We are 12-6 with no bad losses, yet Wisconsin is still rated ahead of us?  This rating system is ridiculous, and not accurate

Basically we are the 58th best team out of 75 Power Conference teams... In my opinion that is bot accurate

28 minutes ago, big red22 said:

There are only 16 teams rated below Nebraska in the 6 Power Conferences according to Kenpom... We are 12-6 with no bad losses, yet Wisconsin is still rated ahead of us?  This rating system is ridiculous, and not accurate

Basically we are the 58th best team out of 75 Power Conference teams... In my opinion that is bot accurate

Whats Marquette? They killed Wisconsin on the road in non con and just killed Seton Hall at home. That's a team that takes an 11 seed at large from us if they stay hot. We need to keep winning and those middle tier teams to not have big wins. I'm paranoid this season but it's better than knowing we have no chance 

34 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Not a perfect system..but not one system is.   Wisconsin doesn't get blown out.   We do.   Wisconsin blows bad teams out.   We don't.   It's a statistical compilation and we aren't a very good team statistically.   When that isnt on your side, you better have a lot of good wins (we have one at best) or you better do it for an extended period of time (which the season is too young yet)

50 minutes ago, big red22 said:

This rating system is ridiculous, and not accurate

There are some slight flaws but generally speaking its predicted spreads are fairly similar to what Vegas puts out (Vegas is trying to get even bets, not predict scores)

Tonight it predicted we'd win by 3 (it was 4)

8 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

There are some slight flaws but generally speaking its predicted spreads are fairly similar to what Vegas puts out (Vegas is trying to get even bets, not predict scores)

Tonight it predicted we'd win by 3 (it was 4)

Kenpom is actually a consistent top 10 even top 5 when we play HTCC which is obviously a game where we compete to predict scores so it actually does a pretty good job. But the problem is it is not a ranking system that reflects the committee bc it doesn’t use the same criteria. Not even close to the same criteria. And this year we happen to be an outlier in the system