This should get you a little excited...

Huskerpapa

I understand the thought of putting someone with quickness down there but it sure seems to me that you limit yourself with trying to double down low using a point guard and hurting your rebounding chances by having one of your forwards (like Roby) at the top of the key.  I'm not a big fan of the 1-3-1 due to the amount of holes it leaves in your defense and think you can even make it worse but putting one of your rebounders out of position at the top of the key instead of down low.  Seems to me you would want to put someone quick in the 5 spot but have it needs be one of your forwards that is still quick and can double team and still rebound for you.

7 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

It would need to be a different style of 1-3-1 than what we ran last year where we tried to run our best rebounder.

Last year's 1-3-1 was more similar to the Syracuse 2-3 than to a traditional 1-3-1.  The baseline guy was the best interior defender, who did not run the baseline but defended the paint.  The wings had basically the same responsibility as the forwards in the 2-3, their primary responsibility was the baseline and then the elbow.  The guy in the middle had some of the same responsibilities as a guard in the 2-3, he had to come out and cover the elbow in whichever direction the ball went, but he was also usually the second best rebounder and covered the high post.  So it was more of a 1-1-3 in reality than a 1-3-1.

4 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I understand the thought of putting someone with quickness down there but it sure seems to me that you limit yourself with trying to double down low using a point guard and hurting your rebounding chances by having one of your forwards (like Roby) at the top of the key.  I'm not a big fan of the 1-3-1 due to the amount of holes it leaves in your defense and think you can even make it worse but putting one of your rebounders out of position at the top of the key instead of down low.  Seems to me you would want to put someone quick in the 5 spot but have it needs be one of your forwards that is still quick and can double team and still rebound for you.

Some versions of the 1-3-1 put a long guy out front and a really fast guy running baseline corner to corner at the bottom of the zone.

Ours last year didn't do that.  But some 1-3-1s are designed that way.  That's, I assume, why the suggestion of Watson playing that spot was made.

I agree with Norm on the small guy running the baseline.  Most rebounds are going to be made by the weak side wing or center. Steals by the baseline guard put the ball in the hands of your best ball players.  1-3-1 zones can have the wings go to the corner and in that situation, you would want a taller player to defend in the low block.  

52 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I loved our 1-3-1 when we could put Cookie Belcher at the top of the 1-3-1.  If I recall correctly, Rodney Fields ran the baseline...but perhaps I am misremembering.  Shoot, that was close to 20 years ago.

Cookie Belcher could purt-near defend any player on the court. He was so good at D.

Cazzie is correct. The standard 1-3-1 that I've seen most often usually has your big guy in the middle, length on the wings and up top and speed on the bottom. The bottom guy's responsibility is to cover corner to corner. The big guy in the middle and the backside wing drop when the ball shifts to a wing or corner and those guys are the ones responsible primarily for crashing the glass. This style of 1-3-1 is all about trapping the corners. 

57 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Moving on from the topic of the 1-3-1.. its a good thing we have all of this preseason hype for this team when looking at our schedule. I mean look at this 4 game stretch we have.

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 11.32.18 AM.png

This is the sort of graphic that makes me think that our deepest roster is not deep enough

47 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'd like to see us get two of those last 3.  We'll be underdogs in all 4, so winning even one would beat expectations.

Minnesota at home is the only one we have even the slightest shadow of a chance of winning.

The goal is to keep the margin of loss in the other three games under 30...

IMO.