This should get you a little excited...

Huskerpapa

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

Go take a look at the KenPom thread and try to find more than 7 non-con wins.  That will help with expectations.

Are you just saying that because you want me to read your thread?!

Kidding. But I think 8 or 9 wins is most likely. I think we win all home games against non-power conference schools (6 wins) and Boston College (7). We'll win at least one in Orlando (8) -- if we win 2, fantastic. The game at St. John's is the swing game.

7 hours ago, 49r said:

Go take a look at the KenPom thread and try to find more than 7 non-con wins.  That will help with expectations.

1. Eastern Illinois

2.  North Texas

3.  North Dakota

4.  Marist

5.  Boston College

6.  Texas San Antonio

7.  Delaware State

8.  Stetson

Plus, I think we have a shot at winning at St. John's and Creighton and I think there's an outside chance we could pull off a huge upset win against KU at home.

I think we win at least one Advocare game and maybe two.

My thought is 8 non-con wins is probable; nine is doable; ten is within the realm of possibility; and eleven ain't entirely off the table either.

Plus I think we split our early season conference games, losing at MSU and winning at home against Minnie.

My take on Creighton:

Props to McDermott.  He can obviously coach.  He has a good ball club.  Very good club.  But they're no longer better than us at PG and Center.  In fact, I'd say we're better at both of those spots.

I'd say chances are pretty good that Copeland is better than whoever he lines up against.  The only places they're probably still better than us is at the 2 and the 3, but their margin is not as big there as it might once have been.  Granted, home court advantage, but I think we're due.  I'm calling an upset in that game.  Yeah, I'm probably wrong.  I'm still calling an upset.

My take on KU:

Great team.  Great coach.  Great talent.  They tend to play their better ball later as their 5-star freshmen take a half-season to really get into the flow.  We really could knock them off.  Home court?  Sold out PBA?  No sit Saturday?  I give us a 35-40% chance to win due to sheer energy, being on the home floor, and having just enough talent, experience, and depth to hold our own with them.

My take on St. John's:

On the road.  Lots of new players for both teams.  Their back court is very, very solid and can score the ball.  Ours ain't bad, though, and we're much longer and bigger across the front line.  I'd say 35-40% chance of pulling off that upset.

I think we win one of these games, possibly two, unlikely we'll win all three.

But if we win just one of them, it should put us at least at 9 wins in the non-con.  Win two, and we reach double digit non-con victories.

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

Remember when Doc scheduled the non-con every year so we were looking at a 10-3 record worst case scenario heading into conference? 

It's the difference between scheduling to win instead of scheduling to make the tournament. 

4 hours ago, New huskers fan said:

I'm already on record somewhere around this site saying sweet 16 emoji6.png
I'm expecting a middle to top half of the conference finish.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

I do recall you comparing Isaiah's freshman and sophomore years in high school with last year and now and expecting a similar turnaround.

Am I remembering that right?

All i know is my excitement is getting to unbareable levels. I've been pretty relaxed with the season approaching but now im about bouncing off the walls thinking about it. Chalk it up to practice starting, football stinking it up, and my Chicago Bulls being projected as one of the worst teams in the NBA this upcoming season.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

All i know is my excitement is getting to unbareable levels. I've been pretty relaxed with the season approaching but now im about bouncing off the walls thinking about it. Chalk it up to practice starting, football stinking it up, and my Chicago Bulls being projected as one of the worst teams in the NBA this upcoming season.

By the way, the NU-Northwood exhibition game is in a mere five weeks.

I don't have a W-L expectation in specific numbers, but I will say that this better be the year that Miles doesn't let his team lose to a gut wrenchingly awful team at home.  There is literally too much talent and depth on the roster for that to be a legitimate possibility again.  We need to get used to beating those teams by 20+ points, and not pull our starters until we do.  Create a step on the throat culture there.  Respect all of your opponents.  

46 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I don't have a W-L expectation in specific numbers, but I will say that this better be the year that Miles doesn't let his team lose to a gut wrenchingly awful team at home.  There is literally too much talent and depth on the roster for that to be a legitimate possibility again.  We need to get used to beating those teams by 20+ points, and not pull our starters until we do.  Create a step on the throat culture there.  Respect all of your opponents.  

Y'know, this pulling the starters idea, I have some thoughts on this.

Who will be our starters?  And who do we bring off the bench?

Let's say we go with the big lineup:  Glynn, Evan, Isaac, Isaiah, Jordy.

Who would our bench be?  Thomas, James (or Anton if he's healthy), Nana, Jack, Duby.

When you look at that bench, is there any attribute that stands out?

Thomas Allen -- 48% on the season from three at Brewster.

James Palmer -- Career ~33% from three at Miami.

Nana Akenten -- Somewhere around 45% from three in HS? Swished more 3s than Lee B has seen anyone do since our all-time career 3-point scoring leader.

Jack McVeigh -- Career ~34% from three at NU (and 2nd on the team last year in 3-pt accuracy.)

Duby Okeke -- Outstanding shot blocker; can touch 12 feet.

If you want to throttle another team, you might want to just give the starters their normal blow and keep them fresh. Let the bench go crazy.

Edited by Norm Peterson

The early season will tell us a lot.  I mentioned this elsewhere, but if Glynn ends up averaging 30+ minutes per game, he will likely wear down by seasons end.  I am guessing that the most minutes any player may play is 25. 

Everyone is talking about who is starting, perhaps a better question is who will be in the game at the end, or when the game is on the line.  That is when we find out the players that are most trusted.

I'm curious how many practices Lee has watched to come away with that opinion of Akenten's shooting ability. Thomas Allen is much more deserving of that kind of praise from what I've seen. Not saying Nana isn't a good shooter – his shooting will get him on the floor at times if the team is in a rut offensively and need some spot-up shooting – but Thomas is quite a ways ahead of him right now.

21 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I say start Glynn, Evan, Isaac, Isaiah, and Jordy.  Run a 1-3-1 extended with Roby on top, Jordy in middle, and Glynn on bottom.

At the first media timout, sub Thomas, James, Nana, Jack, and Duby and go full court man pressure run and gun.

I now this isn't realistic, but wouldn't that be fun to watch.

Why would you put Glynn at the bottom?