Developing story: NCAA fraud and corruption probe

Norm Peterson

On 10/11/2017 at 10:26 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

Looks like Kansas could be in some trouble as well.

phog.net is going into complete meltdown mode over this.  Poor Jayhawks, everybody's out to get them!!!

I have said this before, and I get the "I live in Los Angeles" angle here, but I have been in LA 14 years and I have never once seen the LA Times do flat out hatchet jobs on any of the area sports programs. They weren't even that hard on Donald Sterling. During USC's many scandals, OJ Mayo, USC football, now the Adidas/Nike payments, Ben Howland issues at UCLA, I moved here during the very end of the Steve Lavin era, they usually waited for facts to come out and then just printed facts.

They would never intentionally try to tear down the most successful programs in the area. It is beyond weird to me that the KC Star, Cap Journal, Journal World and now UDK seem to be hell bent on bringing down the by far most successful sports program in the entire region. I mean you have to get to the Denver Broncos to the west, Oklahoma football to the South, Kentucky basketball to the East, and probably the Packers to the north to find teams in any sport as consistent and successful as KU Basketball. It is just beyond weird. Have some pride in your area and do what you can to keep the successful teams rolling.

100% guarantee you that the Lexington Herald isn't out there trying to bust Cal for funneling money to players via Nike or World Wide Wes.

I mean, why is the mean old media out to destroy everything they have built there?  And it's ONLY the Kansas media and ONLY the Jayhawks!

So unfair.  The journos should just let KU "keep rolling" without any scrutiny at all - just like they do in Green Bay!

37 minutes ago, 49r said:

I mean, why is the mean old media out to destroy everything they have built there?  And it's ONLY the Kansas media and ONLY the Jayhawks!

So unfair.  The journos should just let KU "keep rolling" without any scrutiny at all - just like they do in Green Bay!

Don't worry, the NCAA will make sure a high profile school like that is dealt with properly

DMBxzBIUMAEve9U.jpg:large

@hhcdimes so true.

Frankly I'm surprised that Louisville flew so far off the handle and fired everyone involved with their hoops program like they did.  Everybody knows the NCAA is toothless now and will not penalize any athletic department north of $75 million budget for any reason - they aren't going to see any sanctions here either.  Worst case scenario is Pitino and Jurich will be sent to federal prison (extremely unlikely) and that would happen regardless of whether they were still employed by the university or not.

Best option, IMO, for all schools implicated in this case is to sit tight - rat on other programs if the FBI asks you to - and just wait things out. Chances are it's not going to affect the big boys much if at all.  In fact, there's probably an advantage to being one of the first seven schools implicated in this case because they can move on while others down the food chain are mired in lawsuits.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

Frankly I'm surprised that Louisville flew so far off the handle and fired everyone involved with their hoops program like they did.

Because that thing was clearly out of control. You can't just compartmentalize that it was a rogue assistant with what has gone down there in the last couple of years. 

Remember when the NCAA put Nebraska football on probation for self-reporting that some of our players sold their used text books and kept the money?  

Yeah.  The NCAA has never served its enforcement function well.  It often punishes minor infractions harshly and lets whopper violators skate.

22 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Remember when the NCAA put Nebraska football on probation for self-reporting that some of our players sold their used text books and kept the money?  

Yeah.  The NCAA has never served its enforcement function well.  It often punishes minor infractions harshly and lets whopper violators skate.

If I recall, we got in trouble for providing students with books from the recommended/optional list, beyond that of the required textbooks. Which I guess was not allowed.

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Don't worry, the NCAA will make sure a high profile school like that is dealt with properly

DMBxzBIUMAEve9U.jpg:large

Full disclosure - as a lifelong UNC fan - I'm very happy about this. 

Pat Forde tried to make me feel guilty and claim that these "academic scandals" heavily taint the '05 and '09 Championships.... Dear Pat, they don't. Signed, basketballjones

15 minutes ago, 49r said:

List of all schools and their responses to the question "Are you reviewing your own basketball program – internally or with a consultant – as a response to the federal probe?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/76ric1/breaking_ap_exclusive_more_than_two_dozen/dogbqs6/?context=3

For quick reference:

"Yes" - Michigan State, Wisconsin

"No" - All other B1G teams

"Decline to answer" - Big Ten Conference

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

image.png

Is this any kind of indication how potentially clean or unclean each school/conference is?

Because, if so, the Big 12, ACC, SEC, and Pac12 have some issues.

And if you count the "I'm not telling" responses in the "Yes" category, you can add the Big East to the list of naughty leagues.

14 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Poor Rick.

LOL.  For what?  :lol:  That extra 1.5% of the money that Adidas paid to the school that reportedly went directly to him instead?

Just walk away, Rick.  You've got plenty of money (unless you were too stupid to save/invest).  Your reputation is already in tatters - you were a good coach but everybody knows you're a cheating sleazeball.  Some ridiculous lawsuit isn't going to restore it.

Edited by NUtball

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 49r said:

I still think Louisville overreacted.

It's funny how doing the right thing even though you could have done less is considered overreacting when you look at the NCAA.  The lack of anything done to NC pretty much proves they could have given Pitino a wrist slap and been ok though.

25 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It's funny how doing the right thing even though you could have done less is considered overreacting when you look at the NCAA.  The lack of anything done to NC pretty much proves they could have given Pitino a wrist slap and been ok though.

Yes.  While I applaud the university of Louisville for taking strong and swift actions to try to clean up their image, I also think it was totally unnecessary as it pertains to heading off any potential sanctions by any governing body.

Yeah.  The NCAA has shown a lack of spine on handling headliner basketball team violations.  The FBI, on the other hand, is a different animal: it has sharp teeth and is willing to bite anyone.  Getting ahead of that animal is the best course for every basketball school.

And Louisville finally did something right with it’s basketball program that had become unteathered from all moorings. Such actions will pay dividends in the future on a variety of levels.

Edited by Swan88

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is another perspective—from Charles Barkley a couple days ago:

“I’m still trying to figure out why the FBI is involved,” Barkley said. “Listen, I went to college in 1981. We cheated back then. We’re cheating now. They’re always cheating. The toothpaste is out of the tube. They said they gave that kid at Arizona (Ayton) $100,000. He was underpaid. There must’ve been closed bidding because I would’ve gave his (expletive) more.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Here is another perspective—from Charles Barkley a couple days ago:

“I’m still trying to figure out why the FBI is involved,” Barkley said. “Listen, I went to college in 1981. We cheated back then. We’re cheating now. They’re always cheating. The toothpaste is out of the tube. They said they gave that kid at Arizona (Ayton) $100,000. He was underpaid. There must’ve been closed bidding because I would’ve gave his (expletive) more.

Although Chuck's comments may have some (or a lot of) truth, I still believe it is a reckless statement.