Jump to content
Norm Peterson

Developing story: NCAA fraud and corruption probe

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, royalfan said:

Rumors starting to swirl about Creighton being next on the hit list.  Be interesting to see if any truth to them.  

Saw tweets both Jeff Goodman and Rob Dauster discussing Patton parting ways with Andrew Miller and the fact that this past year was the first which Omaha Sports Academy (Patton's AAU team) was sponsored by Adidas. Not a whole lot of that has to do with Creighton. But we shall see where it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites





Here are said tweets that Jake mentioned. Don’t think we should buy too much into this involving the school from Omaha. But who knows. I wouldn’t complain if they got squeezed either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to note:

 

Since the news of this scandal broke, Nike shares are trading down about 4%.

 

Adidas, on the other hand, is up about 4%.

 

Which is the opposite of what you'd expect considering the media reports were all about Adidas execs etc. behaving badly. Yet, it's Nike that's down.

 

Now, whenever a team does a lot better or a lot worse in a game than you thought they would but Vegas was on target, people always say "Vegas knows."

 

Is there something the stock market knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Interesting to note:

 

Since the news of this scandal broke, Nike shares are trading down about 4%.

 

Adidas, on the other hand, is up about 4%.

 

This has been the general trend for the last two years. Nike had their best financial year ever in 2015, and has been relatively stagnant ever since.  Simultaneously, Adidas is having its best growth ever over the last two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

 

This has been the general trend for the last two years. Nike had their best financial year ever in 2015, and has been relatively stagnant ever since.  Simultaneously, Adidas is having its best growth ever over the last two years.

While that's true, the sizable stock trends over the past week and a half for these two companies are not related to the long-term stock price trends of the past couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A news article reports on the Duke basketball coach's recent comments on the scandal.  The writer reports on the coach's comments and provides editorial comments in parentheses as follows:

 

With nary a “student-athlete” to be heard, in a matter of (several) minutes Krzyzewski pointed out that the college game is unequipped to handle all the money swirling around players before and after they’re in college (true), that there’s nothing illegal or unethical about shoe companies recruiting elite players with financial incentives (true), that college basketball is a billion-dollar industry (true), that no one in college basketball has the power or platform to fix any of this (true), that one-and-dones should be free to turn pro straight out of high school (true) and that the NCAA is basically funded by men’s college basketball revenue (true).

 

So . . . what's with the shoe companies providing financial incentives to high school recruits?  Is that really ok?  Doesn't that jeopardize their eligibility?  What if shoe companies funnel kids to particular teams?  What if it's an agent providing the financial incentives and doing the funneling?  And what if the agent funnels recruits to a school that provided him/her a contract with a new NBA player?

 

Are all those things ok? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

A news article reports on the Duke basketball coach's recent comments on the scandal.  The writer reports on the coach's comments and provides editorial comments in parentheses as follows:

 

With nary a “student-athlete” to be heard, in a matter of (several) minutes Krzyzewski pointed out that the college game is unequipped to handle all the money swirling around players before and after they’re in college (true), that there’s nothing illegal or unethical about shoe companies recruiting elite players with financial incentives (true), that college basketball is a billion-dollar industry (true), that no one in college basketball has the power or platform to fix any of this (true), that one-and-dones should be free to turn pro straight out of high school (true) and that the NCAA is basically funded by men’s college basketball revenue (true).

 

So . . . what's with the shoe companies providing financial incentives to high school recruits?  Is that really ok?  Doesn't that jeopardize their eligibility?  What if shoe companies funnel kids to particular teams?  What if it's an agent providing the financial incentives and doing the funneling?  And what if the agent funnels recruits to a school that provided him/her a contract with a new NBA player?

 

Are all those things ok? 

 

Isn't the NCAA funded by college football?

 

It isn't illegal for shoe companies to recruit high school players...the illegal part is paying people money without reporting it on your taxes. You don't report it because that could/would make you ineligible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

Isn't the NCAA funded by college football?

 

It isn't illegal for shoe companies to recruit high school players...the illegal part is paying people money without reporting it on your taxes. You don't report it because that could/would make you ineligible.

 

The NCAA is bankrolled by March Madness, essentially.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Interesting to note:

 

Since the news of this scandal broke, Nike shares are trading down about 4%.

 

Adidas, on the other hand, is up about 4%.

 

Which is the opposite of what you'd expect considering the media reports were all about Adidas execs etc. behaving badly. Yet, it's Nike that's down.

 

Now, whenever a team does a lot better or a lot worse in a game than you thought they would but Vegas was on target, people always say "Vegas knows."

 

Is there something the stock market knows?

Fake News

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

While that's true, the sizable stock trends over the past week and a half for these two companies are not related to the long-term stock price trends of the past couple of years.

 

I would have to disagree.  The scandal broke the same day that Nike released Q1FY18 earnings, in which Nike showed flat revenue growth compared to last year.  It's been a while since Nike hasn't experienced growth.  Also, revenue in North America was down 5% (North America makes up half of Nike's revenue so this is kind of a big deal).

 

The scandal broke, Nike stock was flat for the day and actually started to rise near the close of market.  Then after market close, Nike released earnings report.  Stock got hammered in after hours trading and opened the next day down 2.5 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One positive in all of this, it might end the academic fraud of 1 and done.  Kids should go pro out of high school, they have the NBA, the development league, or overseas opportunities.  The college game will survive.  Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and others might become legitimate academic institutions again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another "problem" that I see occurring.  Once the dust settles a bit, Mr. Pitino could land a job as a college basketball analyst with one of the networks.  If that happens, people should protest the network.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see something more akin to what Europe has with some sort of league-affiliated, privately-financed club teams eventually replacing the AAU.  If kids could sign a contract with an organization and start getting paid to play high-level organized ball at a younger age, but still maintain the flexibility to attend college or pursue a pro career...I think that would be the best system.

 

But it would impact the talent level in NCAA basketball.  They'd essentially get the 17/18 year-old players that weren't deemed good enough to play in the NBA/G-League/overseas.

 

And it would really change the NBA draft.  They'd only be drafting for players that were late bloomers and not previously scouted/signed to club teams before college, or players that were from overseas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see in the WH today that 2 of Patino's assistants at Louisville were put on paid leave. It seems the University has reason to worry about their assistants' actions.

It also makes me wonder about an ex assistant that learned coaching on his daddy's knee.

How have things been handled by the Gophers during the Patino tenure?

Their recruiting has been very good; while the team has gone from the lower to the upper tier of the B1G.

Chances are my suspicions never find a "smoking gun" confirmation nor a conclusive rebuttal.

Just wondering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent events create an entirely new set of assumptions, including these:

   —any school that’s anywhere near a five star is, at the very least, flirting with the edge

   —any school whose recruiting successes suddenly improve dramatically is asking for greater scrutiny

   —any school with a significant connection to an NBA agent is, at the very least, flirting with the edge

   —any school with a recent NBA draft pick is dealing with opportunities and possibilities and choices that can backfire.

I dont think any of the foregoing assumptions apply to Minnesota.  But (as suggested above) the old, “Apples don’t fall far from the tree,” adage certainly raises eyebrows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×