Developing story: NCAA fraud and corruption probe

Norm Peterson

43 minutes ago, bleujay said:

fair enough. I don't really see us being big enough to swing deals with adidas or nike. UA, I could see it

Well the 4 guys that sat ahead of me at the NU/Creighton game a few years ago would disagree. They sat and talked of how Creighton was on the same level as NC, Duke, UCLA and KU.  

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

What was it Devaney said?  Something like he didn't want to be so good that we'd be put on probation but he did want us to at least be good enough to warrant an investigation?

I have to say it kind of speaks well for Tom Izzo that the Louisville player didn't wind up there and basically eliminated MSU while he was still considering ... Creighton?

Wait, WTF kind of sense does that make?  Why would you eliminate Izzo and MSU yet still have Creighton on your list until you wind up at Louisville because Adidas people paid your momma $100,000?

It speaks well for Izzo in that he obviously wasn't willing to pay to play.

But it suddenly explains why Creighton was all of a sudden "killing it" (as some around here claimed) on the recruiting trail.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

This would make me giggle my backside off if Creighton got pinched.

Just now, Swan88 said:

Here's hoping Nebrasketball is as clean as we think it is!!!

If it isn't - literally fire anyone who draws a paycheck in any relationship to Nebraska Basketball. From janitors to security to Miles to Boehm. Cause we're not getting a good return. 

My goodness!  It's just the tip guys.  The FBI will start handing out reduced sentences like crazy for any "tips" they get.  We will start to see this spread to other schools and sports. 

Today is one good day to have Mike Riley and Tim Miles as coaches.  I don't think they would do something like this.... I don't think.

So - can someone explain to me how people are going to jail over this stuff? Just general racketing issues - is that what it is? 

Because as far as I can tell - these are just NCAA violations - didn't know you could go to jail over that. 

So is the answer that the US Government has decided that this "scheme" is considered racketeering and that is why people are getting arrested? If so - this rolls so deep it's not even funny. If they're going after college basketball - I'd be purely shocked if they stop here. NCAA Football is a bigger racket than this, x10. 

Counts in the three complaints include:

Wire Fraud 

Wire Fraud Conspiracy

Money Laundering Conspiracy

Bribery Conspiracy

Solicitation of Bribes and Gratuities

Conspiracy to Commit Honest Services Fraud

Honest Services Wire Fraud

Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud

Travel Act Conspiracy

Conspiracy to Commit Bribery

Solicitation of Bribes and Gratuities by an Agent of a Federally Funded Organization

Payments of Bribes and Gratuities to a Federally Funded Organization

15 hours ago, huskercwg said:

When I was in college, I had a philosophy class and we discussed the subject of college basketball.  The question was how to turn around a program.  Would it be worth cheating to build your program.  If you don't get caught, you are on the top of the basketball world and you have no consequences other than moral bankruptcy.  If you get caught, you get your hand slapped by the NCAA, you serve an absurdly short probation, and you will still have a top basketball program...and moral bankruptcy.  The other alternative is to put in work, attempt to recruit against everyone else who is taking the first option.  I think a lot of college coaches were in that course with me.

And oh yeah, if Mickey Mouse always war shorts with no shirt, why did Donald Duck where shirts with no pants???

Option 1:
Money was tight when Disney started off so they had to split up the clothes. You get the shirt, you get the pants, etc. 

Option 2:
Ducks can't swim with pants on and Mickey is a "suns out guns out" guy, er mouse.

Option 3:

They're all exhibitionists. 

15 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Counts in the three complaints include:

Wire Fraud 

Wire Fraud Conspiracy

Money Laundering Conspiracy

Bribery Conspiracy

Solicitation of Bribes and Gratuities

Conspiracy to Commit Honest Services Fraud

Honest Services Wire Fraud

Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud

Travel Act Conspiracy

Conspiracy to Commit Bribery

Solicitation of Bribes and Gratuities by an Agent of a Federally Funded Organization

Payments of Bribes and Gratuities to a Federally Funded Organization

Yeah, and the really ironic part of all this is the NCAA has absolutely nothing to do with anything as of right now.

This event has a striking resemblance to what the FBI did to Sepp Blatter and FIFA not too long ago.