Local Sports Talk Radio

TheGov21

I'm not for sure where to post this, so if it gets move to the appropriate section thats ok.

I don't know about anybody else but I'm disppointed with our local Nebraska sports talk shows. 

-Unsportsmanlike Conduct isn't the same without Kugler and Bishop drives me crazy.  Plus they are becoming more Creighton radio.

-I thought the Drive would be great with Nick Bahe added, but him and Jake now talk more NBA than anything else.  I thought college basketball season would be great with these two, but I was wrong.

-I won't listen to 1480 mainly because I've met Schmitt and he's such a jerk that I can't tune in.

-Sharpe and Benning is actually my favorite show right now, but Sharpe can be unbareable at times.  Plus it really bothers me that they are so willing to make fun of Andre's weight which I don't think is appropriate thing to be critical of a college athlete's personal apperance.

Am I totally off base with my remarks or is anybody else hearing the same things?

I used to listen to a lot of sports talk radio.  Back in the days of lots of evening driving in the company car that only had AM radio, it was either sports talk or Sally Jessy Raphael.  And since there was no way in hell I was going to listen to Sally Jessy Raphael ...

(Does anyone else remember McGraw Milhaven?  He was on KFAB and did local sports at night.  Not a bad show.)

Seriously, though, I used to really enjoy Sports Nightly.  It was good when it was Jim Rose and Gary Sharpe.  It was better when Jim Rose left and it was just Gary Sharpe.  And then, long 'bout Steve Pederson time, Sports Nightly took a nose dive when they got rid of Gary Sharpe and it frankly has never recovered.

Sports Nightly is now Dull with a capital D.  They have NEVER had a replacement for Gary who was adequate.

I agree with what you say about John Bishop.  Cannot stand him.  He's the most obnoxious radio guy I can think of and it's painful because he THINKS he's funny but he's so far from it ... it's just sad.

Kugler and Severe used to have a good thing going.  They've lost it.  Without Kugler the show really loses something and when you stick John Bishop in there it becomes worse than just Mike'l by himself.

I cannot stand John Bishop.  Did I mention that?  He does play-by-play for Creighton baseball so it shouldn't be any wonder that he's now a bit of a Creighton homer.  Except on footbal Saturdays.  I can't stand him.  Few people in the local sports scene inspire as much contempt in me as John Bishop, but I will say this for the guy:  He has the perfect face for radio.

I will occasionally still listen to Sports Nightly.  I had hopes for Lane Grindle but he couldn't get over being boring.  And then when Jeff Culhane took over, I had hopes for him as well but same answer as Lane.  At least they aren't jerks.  They're nice guys.  They're just kind of dull. 

Jeff, if you read this, I think one suggestion I would have is that you have this radio voice where it sounds like you're talking AT us rather than TO us.  One of the things that made Gary Sharpe popular, IMO, was that he sounded like the well-informed guy that you catch at the water cooler and ask him for the latest inside tidbits because you know he's got the goods.  And the guy at the water cooler doesn't talk AT you; he talks TO you.  And he makes it sound interesting.

I know a guy that, if I want some inside info on the football program, I'll ask him and he can just go on and on telling me things I didn't know about and filling me in on stuff.  And it's interesting listening to him because HE is interested in what he's telling me.  It's a subject he likes talking about.  But he doesn't sound like a guy on the radio.  He sounds like the guy at the water cooler you want to listen to because he knows all the interesting stuff going on in the program.

And that's the way Gary Sharpe was when he was on Sports Nightly.  Gary didn't put on some phony radio voice.

Jeff, get rid of the phony radio voice and talk to the microphone like you'd talk to someone in person.  I cannot believe that the way you sound on air is the way you'd talk if I bumped into you at the water cooler and asked you what's the latest on ... football recruiting, for example.

Bishop seems like he's trying to hard to be Kevin.  It's not working.  Sharp and Benning is a pretty good show, but they're sort of following a tough show to follow in Schick and Nick that had a very loyal following.  They were the ying to USC's yang.  They weren't for everyone, but it was a nice change of pace to have a show that didn't take itself too seriously among a glut of shows that do take themselves seriously and pretend to not.  1620 on the whole has deteriorated considerably since they lost Kugler and S&N all at the same time.  That was too just too much change all at once.

Only if I'm totally bored with music on the radio at a given time do I listen to the Ticket anymore.  I got tired of the daily survey questions on their Facebook page asking how soon Nebraska Football fans would grow tired of Bo and What's it going to take to get Bo out and a number of other questions that of that same sort.  I know they are trying to get peoples opinions...but I'd think once in a while that could have asked a question or two that wasn't a slam on Bo.

Only if I'm totally bored with music on the radio at a given time do I listen to the Ticket anymore.  I got tired of the daily survey questions on their Facebook page asking how soon Nebraska Football fans would grow tired of Bo and What's it going to take to get Bo out and a number of other questions that of that same sort.  I know they are trying to get peoples opinions...but I'd think once in a while that could have asked a question or two that wasn't a slam on Bo.

I gotta agree with you too.  They focus the show too much around their Facebook question.  And it also seems to be the same or it's just a (for lack of a better term) dumb unrealistic question.

I actually enjoy the Sharpe and Benning show in the morning.  I refuse to listen to USC anymore. Bishop is just too much, and you would think Creighton is the greateast team in America in his opinion.  Mike'l at any chance will change any basketball talk or any sport for that matter into football talk as that is all he knows. 

I honestly don't get the attraction of talk radio at all. But I take it this is a big deal in Nebraska?

I don't know where you're from but let's not act like talk radio isn't big business all over the country.  Sports talk radio is huge no matter where you live.

Is it really? I honestly don't know. I don't follow radio consumption trends and there are only two other sports where I follow teams this closely or more closely and it's not as big a topic in the community as it is here, hence why I asked the question.

I honestly don't get the attraction of talk radio at all. But I take it this is a big deal in Nebraska?

Everyday I get my marching orders from Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh.    ;)

heh  well, we knew that already. who's glenn beck? hee hee.

edit: although, this emphasizes my point of my own ignorance. I have no idea what the audience these guys draws is, although in politics, you'd think I would by now.

I gotta agree with you too.  They focus the show too much around their Facebook question.  And it also seems to be the same or it's just a (for lack of a better term) dumb unrealistic question.

I'm in the same boat as you two. I had to give up listening to the ticket noontime clowns. This Gastons guy cannot talk without continually wining. He's always on Bo and the way he treats the media or his recruiting or this or that. And he makes comments way out in right field on sporting events he knows nothing about.

Last summer for example, I watch most every KC Royal game and he was continually on Rex Hudler's case about how he shouldn't broadcast the Royals games making up things Hudler said during the game. He spent a whole hour wining one morning on how Hudler acted like he was in the dugout during a no hitter when no one talks to the pitcher because they didn't want to jinx the him and that he Hudler failed to mention to the viewers that the KC pitcher had a no hitter going. But if he would have actually watched the game he would have known both Ryan Lefever and Hudler both mentioned it every inning until the no hitter was broken up.  

Only if I'm totally bored with music on the radio at a given time do I listen to the Ticket anymore. I got tired of the daily survey questions on their Facebook page asking how soon Nebraska Football fans would grow tired of Bo and What's it going to take to get Bo out and a number of other questions that of that same sort. I know they are trying to get peoples opinions...but I'd think once in a while that could have asked a question or two that wasn't a slam on Bo.

I gotta agree with you too. They focus the show too much around their Facebook question. And it also seems to be the same or it's just a (for lack of a better term) dumb unrealistic question.</p></blockquote>

I'm in the same boat as you two. I had to give up listening to the ticket noontime clowns. This Gastons guy cannot talk without continually wining. He's always on Bo and the way he treats the media or his recruiting or this or that. And he makes comments way out in right field on sporting events he knows nothing about.

Last summer for example, I watch most every KC Royal game and he was continually on Rex Hudler's case about how he shouldn't broadcast the Royals games making up things Hudler said during the game. He spent a whole hour wining one morning on how Hudler acted like he was in the dugout during a no hitter when no one talks to the pitcher because they didn't want to jinx the him and that he Hudler failed to mention to the viewers that the KC pitcher had a no hitter going. But if he would have actually watched the game he would have known both Ryan Lefever and Hudler both mentioned it every inning until the no hitter was broken up.

I think he was the same one that believes you can't have a rivalry unless its for something. And the went on to say in state rivalries like Alabama and auburn aren't rivals unless they are playing for a conference or national title.

I don't know where you're from but let's not act like talk radio isn't big business all over the country.  Sports talk radio is huge no matter where you live.

Maybe but I am not one of the listeners that hang on some talking heads thoughts.  Give me the Stones, George Strait, County Crows or the Old Crow Medicine show any day.

The only local sports programming we get in the tri Cities is ESPN radio a local show called the Doug and Daddy show from 11 am to noon Monday thru Friday and it deals with more local sports such as UNK ,Hastings College and the Huskers. And the high schools in the area, Then we have SN on various stations depending on who has local sporting events broadcast. So I can't make any judgements on the Omaha & Lincoln shows, But I like Benning because to me he is down to earth and can explain it so that a layman can understand him.