Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Navin R. Johnson

Xavier Johnson isn't N

Recommended Posts

Recruiting...Coaches want to sell themselves as they build their brand.

 

Universities need o demand that coaches sell the University not so much the coaches...if you allow the coaches to sell recruits on the coaches and not the school, these things happen.

 

If you own a company and allow your salespeople to be the brand, if they leave and go to a competitor, expect to lose a large chunk of sales....if they sold the company and the product, you build a bigger moat.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

Recruiting...Coaches want to sell themselves as they build their brand.

 

Universities need o demand that coaches sell the University not so much the coaches...if you allow the coaches to sell recruits on the coaches and not the school, these things happen.

 

If you own a company and allow your salespeople to be the brand, if they leave and go to a competitor, expect to lose a large chunk of sales....if they sold the company and the product, you build a bigger moat.

 

 

 

But your customer/recruit plays a role in your marketing ploy? 

 

If you look at Nebraska, we have a great brand, we have the facilities, we have the fans and we actually have stability with our head coach, or at least we have that illusion.  But it really sounded like Xavier was banking on Kenya to be his remote father figure.  Not sure why, or how that happened, but I believe he referenced it in his text.  The staff could sell all the other stuff, but if the customer/recruit is looking at something so specific, it is hard to control that specific sale.

 

Look at the football program.  We hired a complete new staff.  And generally, the kids left behind by the old staff, stayed.  In fact, one of those kids had his dad fired in the transition.  So I think UNL as a whole is doing what you are advocating Blindcheck, but there are some intangibles that are impossible to control

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

But your customer/recruit plays a role in your marketing ploy? 

 

If you look at Nebraska, we have a great brand, we have the facilities, we have the fans and we actually have stability with our head coach, or at least we have that illusion.  But it really sounded like Xavier was banking on Kenya to be his remote father figure.  Not sure why, or how that happened, but I believe he referenced it in his text.  The staff could sell all the other stuff, but if the customer/recruit is looking at something so specific, it is hard to control that specific sale.

 

Look at the football program.  We hired a complete new staff.  And generally, the kids left behind by the old staff, stayed.  In fact, one of those kids had his dad fired in the transition.  So I think UNL as a whole is doing what you are advocating Blindcheck, but there are some intangibles that are impossible to control

Totally agree with what you are saying.

 

That is why as a head coach, you have to have the ability to become that father figure, to assume the role the recruit desires if an assistant leaves.

 

In sales, when you see a new sales guy come in, the good ones have the ability to build on the goodwill that the previous salesman built.  The ones that can't do that, struggle to build those relationships....

 

As head coach, you need to have that ability....or every time you lose an assistant, you lose all the players that consider that assistant the reason for being at your school.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

But your customer/recruit plays a role in your marketing ploy? 

 

If you look at Nebraska, we have a great brand, we have the facilities, we have the fans and we actually have stability with our head coach, or at least we have that illusion.  But it really sounded like Xavier was banking on Kenya to be his remote father figure.  Not sure why, or how that happened, but I believe he referenced it in his text.  The staff could sell all the other stuff, but if the customer/recruit is looking at something so specific, it is hard to control that specific sale.

 

Look at the football program.  We hired a complete new staff.  And generally, the kids left behind by the old staff, stayed.  In fact, one of those kids had his dad fired in the transition.  So I think UNL as a whole is doing what you are advocating Blindcheck, but there are some intangibles that are impossible to control

 

Like your takes on here, but have to disagree that we have stability with the head coach or even an illusion of it.  So far 3 straight years without an extension.  Last year no supportive comments from the AD.  Promises of addressing things after the season but then crickets.  This year any comments from the AD were delayed, then tepid and vague.  Comments that it would be addressed after the final 4, but still nothing.

 

If we go head to head on any recruit, there is no way the other school won't address instability with the head coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HB said:

 

Like your takes on here, but have to disagree that we have stability with the head coach or even an illusion of it.  So far 3 straight years without an extension.  Last year no supportive comments from the AD.  Promises of addressing things after the season but then crickets.  This year any comments from the AD were delayed, then tepid and vague.  Comments that it would be addressed after the final 4, but still nothing.

 

If we go head to head on any recruit, there is no way the other school won't address instability with the head coach. 

 

Does this mean we have to wait another century to win an outright conference championship?  Double turds... ;)

 

HB, it will all work out just fine.  Patience, my friend.

Edited by cipsucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted less than 24 hours ago.

 

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/04/24/guard-xavier-johnson-recaps-visit-to-pitt/

 

"What’s next for Johnson?

He told PSN that he’ll be making a visit shortly to South Carolina and others could follow. Johnson wants to make his college decision before graduation, which is on May 31. He put Pitt near the top of his list.

“Right now, it’s a tie between Pitt and Nebraska,” he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Donkey said:

He told PSN that he’ll be making a visit shortly to South Carolina and others could follow. Johnson wants to make his college decision before graduation, which is on May 31. He put Pitt near the top of his list.

 

“Right now, it’s a tie between Pitt and Nebraska,” he said.

Big time win for Miles and Co if they keep him on board. Keep it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Right now it's a tie between a team that went winless in the ACC and a team that finished 4th in the Big Ten. Sounds like an easy choice. 

 

It depends how you look at it.

 

"Right now it's a tie between a team who just got a new coach with great coaching experience, has made it to the Big Dance 13 times in the 2000s, and is part of a strong basketball tradition... or a school that has a coach who he's not sure whether he's gone within the next 2 years or not, has made it to the Big Dance 2 times in the 200s, and is part of a mediocre basketball tradition but has the ability to create or be part of building that tradition."

 

It might be a harder choice than some people initially think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Right now it's a tie between a team that went winless in the ACC and a team that finished 4th in the Big Ten. Sounds like an easy choice. 

Problem is, Pitt has a new head coach and staff.  Where our staff seems to be in a transitional period.  Pitt is in a good conference.  They have nice facilities and are disparately in need of players, including a PG who can play immediately. 

 

That said, I am ecstatic that we are still in the hunt.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see this as progress and that he’s definitely not ruling us out. I really don’t think he wanted to decommit but his inner circle encouraged him to explore other options after Kenya left. With that said Pitt probably can guarantee a starting position and more playing time as a freshman. We gotta get a new recruiting coordinator and that person needs to make Xavier the top priority!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 49r said:

Plus Pittsburgh is a pretty freakin' cool city!  I wouldn't mind living there for my college years personally.

Had a lot of fun at a place called Philthy McNasys when in Pittsburgh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×