Xavier Johnson isn't N

Navin R. Johnson

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Am I on crack today or is that a video of the wrong Xavier Johnson?  At first I noticed the dude was shooting with his left hand.  Then I really looked and noticed that he didn't look like our Xavier Johnson.

Wait, what?  That twitter video of him announcing his decision is not him?

Good to see Miles still being able to recruit solid players. Though i do not get the sense that Xavier Johnson is a flat out stud (but i am far from a talent scout) he is defintely a good addition.

Seems like his immediate impact would be defense and distributing, is that correct?

Edited by khoock

1 minute ago, khoock said:

Good to see Miles still being able to recruit solid players. Though i do not get the sense that Xavier Johnson is a flat out stud (but i am far from a talent scout) he is defintely a good addition.

Seems like his immediate impact would be defense and distributing, is that correct?

That is my impression as well, khoock.

I wasn't terribly excited by this addition, until I read some of the Georgetown message boards.  They're a fairly educated fan base and they were DYING to get this kid.  Anytime we take a top target from a school like Georgetown is a big deal, especially an early signing period top target.

1 minute ago, khoock said:

That's pretty accurate I think.  Whether or not we got a 4+ star kid instead of a 3+ star kid is how well that outside shot develops.  Considering all the talk about him being a gym rat and his 74% (i think i'm remembering right) FT percentage, I like his odds of being one of those kids who plays above the ratings.

34 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That's pretty accurate I think.  Whether or not we got a 4+ star kid instead of a 3+ star kid is how well that outside shot develops.  Considering all the talk about him being a gym rat and his 74% (i think i'm remembering right) FT percentage, I like his odds of being one of those kids who plays above the ratings.

Doesn't he have a really low release point, though (or at least start his shot very low)?

Do you think the coaching staff will work with him on changing that, at the risk it makes him an even worse shooter?

I wonder if the reason he's never really fixed it is because, since he's not an overly good shooter (and is very quick with the dribble) that defenders have given him loads of space.  If that's the case, he's had plenty of time to get the shot off.  That will change in college.

I'm intrigued with this kid and his shot.

Of course, I may be thinking of someone else entirely, making this a waste of everyone's time.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

It is also something that we have not had a around here forever. An alpha athlete who is a true PG on both ends. Not saying he is Mo Watson but look how much better an offense works when your PG can get to the lane at will and then makes the right pass or can finish.

He is very intriguing to me for sure.

This is exactly what he is, and I totally agree.  I love GWIII and everything about Allen looks great, but a scoring point guard can sometimes have a difficult time getting teammates going.  This kid is strong, athletic, and smart.  We haven't had a lot of true distributors at point.  Brandon Richardson and Jamar Johnson come to mind.  I might throw Lance Jeter in that mix.  But Xavier really plays like an alpha quarterback--athletic distributors who can finish at the rim are extremely annoying to guard.  

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I wasn't terribly excited by this addition, until I read some of the Georgetown message boards.  They're a fairly educated fan base and they were DYING to get this kid.  Anytime we take a top target from a school like Georgetown is a big deal, especially an early signing period top target.

...this.

2 hours ago, atskooc said:

Doesn't he have a really low release point, though (or at least start his shot very low)?

Do you think the coaching staff will work with him on changing that, at the risk it makes him an even worse shooter?

I wonder if the reason he's never really fixed it is because, since he's not an overly good shooter (and is very quick with the dribble) that defenders have given him loads of space.  If that's the case, he's had plenty of time to get the shot off.  That will change in college.

I'm intrigued with this kid and his shot.

Of course, I may be thinking of someone else entirely, making this a waste of everyone's time.

This is what I noted in the middle of August...

Posted

Great handles, looks extremely quick, looks like a very good teammate.  The only "negative" is his odd looking jump shot, and perhaps that isn't a negative.  It is just a bit unorthodox.