By the way ...

Norm Peterson

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Pretty sure we can find similar things being said around this time in 2016 & 2015 too.   But this year we really mean it!

I went back and looked about last year a while back and the story arch in terms of headlines and such of last summer and this summer are vastly different. Not sure about 2015, but last year was more of a cautious optimism. This year is much more unbridled.

Interestingly, Danny Nee acted exactly the same way during the summer between the 10-18 and 26-4 years. I remember him telling me that NU was going to come out of nowhere and by mid season Sports Illustrated would run a feature story on the surprise team of the year. And that is exactly what happened. Of course, Danny was usually prone to a bit of hyperbole. 

49 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I went back and looked about last year a while back and the story arch in terms of headlines and such of last summer and this summer are vastly different. Not sure about 2015, but last year was more of a cautious optimism. This year is much more unbridled.

And don't get me wrong.   I think we have talent and potential.   But I've said that the last 3 years too.  And we always underwhelm.   I can see us in the dance.   I can also see us at 14-16 too

53 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Pretty sure we can find similar things being said around this time in 2016 & 2015 too.   But this year we really mean it!

This is different.  Way different.

Privately, going into the '14-'15 season, Miles wasn't sure if we were really that good in '13-'14 or if we just got hot at the end of the year. So, he wasn't strongly confident going into '14-'15.

I don't think anyone was legitimately optimistic going into last year. Hopeful?  Maybe.  Confident?  If we'd had Andrew White coming back, perhaps.  But legitimately confident about last year?  Nooo.

This is different.  This is a coach who, under the circumstances, didn't have to say anything at all.  But instead, he said "You're really going to like this team."

If Nebrasketball (and Nebraska football) could avoid some of the injuries that have plagued us -- more than most teams, it seems (especially given lack of depth most seasons), we'd be singing a much different tune.  The following is from memory, so please feel free to point out errors.

The year we went to the Dance, the following players were, largely, injury-free the entire season: Leslee Smith, Terran Petteway, Shavon Shields, Ray Gallegos, Tai Webster, David Rivers, Benny Parker, Walter Pitchford, Mike Peltz.  That's an entire nine-player rotation available all season.

The next season began with a blown-out knee for Leslee Smith--and he never came back in any meaningful way.  About the time Moses Abraham was blending in, he broke his hand and was never the same.  And Walter Pitchford was injured in the psyche or something.

The next year began with foot problems for Ed Morrow--which never went away.  Then, during a late-season game, when we were up by 20+ points on Penn St., Shavon Shields went down -- and the season went with him.

Last season began with health issues for Isaiah Roby, which never really went away.  And about the time they had something going, Ed Morrow's foot started hurting and never got better. 

Those are all excuses.  But they are also true . . . and significant.

Edited by Swan88

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

If Nebrasketball (and Nebraska football) could avoid some of the injuries that have plagued us -- more than most teams, it seems (especially given lack of depth most seasons), we'd be singing a much different tune.  The following is from memory, so please feel free to point out errors.

The year we went to the Dance, the following players were, largely, injury-free the entire season: Leslee Smith, Terran Petteway, Shavon Shields, Ray Gallegos, Tai Webster, David Rivers, Benny Parker, Walter Pitchford, Mike Peltz.  That's an entire nine-player rotation available all season.

The next season began with a blown-out knee for Leslee Smith--and he never came back in any meaningful way.  About the time Moses Abraham was blending in, he broke his hand and was never the same.  And Walter Pitchford was injured in the psyche or something.

The next year began with foot problems for Ed Morrow--which never went away.  Then, during a late-season game, when we were up by 20+ points on Penn St., Shavon Shields went down -- and the season went with him.

Last season began with health issues for Isaiah Roby, which never really went away.  And about the time they had something going, Ed Morrow's foot started hurting and never got better. 

Those are all excuses.  But they are also true . . . and significant.

Small point of clarification: Shavon Shields was hurt in the game against Rutgers (an 87-63 win, snapping a 3-game losing streak).

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Interestingly, Danny Nee acted exactly the same way during the summer between the 10-18 and 26-4 years. I remember him telling me that NU was going to come out of nowhere and by mid season Sports Illustrated would run a feature story on the surprise team of the year. And that is exactly what happened. Of course, Danny was usually prone to a bit of hyperbole. 

I remember Nee flat out asking the reporters at the media day "How could you pick us last?" Guy was sports journalist's dream! Another that comes to mind was the year Mulheisen (sp) and the rest of his class were Seniors.  They talked about Coach Collier have a bounce in his step and was excited for the season.  We had some good and bad that year, but things did not really take off.  It was at that time you started to realize that just having a large group of Seniors on your team was not a guarantee of success.  

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Small point of clarification: Shavon Shields was hurt in the game against Rutgers (an 87-63 win, snapping a 3-game losing streak).

Thanks.

Yes.  We had won four in a row (over Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois and Michigan St.), then we lost three in a row (to Michigan, Purdue and Maryland), then Shavon got hurt against Rutgers (we still won 87-63), and then we lost five of the next six (to Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio St. in overtime, Penn St. by one point, and Purdue).  Shavon returned for the BIG Tournament, where we beat Rutgers (89-72) and Wisconsin (70-58), before losing to Maryland (97-86). 

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Privately, going into the '14-'15 season, Miles wasn't sure if we were really that good in '13-'14 or if we just got hot at the end of the year. So, he wasn't strongly confident going into '14-'15.

I don't think anyone was legitimately optimistic going into last year. Hopeful?  Maybe.  Confident?  If we'd had Andrew White coming back, perhaps.  But legitimately confident about last year?  Nooo.

This is different.  This is a coach who, under the circumstances, didn't have to say anything at all.  But instead, he said "You're really going to like this team."

I hope he's right.  A lot of new pieces that will need to gel but pieces that could turn out to be good.  We need guys like Jordy and Roby to talk that sophomore jump.  More than anything, we need to start protecting the Vault again. 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

The guy knows he's on the brink of being fired, he's trying to be optimistic.  Unfortunately, not much is gonna change this year, maybe a nice NIT win.

Oh, c'mon, Dale.  If I was the incoming AD (which I'm not) then I could see you making that point.  It wasn't a boast; it wasn't a sales pitch; it was just a spontaneous statement that seemed like he wanted to be able to share his excitement and optimism.  There was almost a giddiness in his tone of voice that I hadn't really seen before.  Had nothing whatsoever to do with "knowing he's on the brink of being fired," which I don't think is his mindset at all.

Would you piss in someone else's cornflakes please?

Just now, hal9000 said:

image.gif?w=500&c=1

Hal, you notice how he hedge on that last statement?  Nothing much is going to change ... but if it does, I'll throw in a little "NIT win" comment just so I can't be very far from being wrong either way.

NIT win would actually be a big leap from not much changing.  Not much changing would be 12-16 wins, a losing record, and failing to make the post season.  See, even Dale is having a hard time trying to totally sell negativity.

I normally have my rose colored glasses firmly on my nose at the beginning of nearly every season.  I really got caught up in the talk about football this year.  Heck, the typically stoic and somewhat understated Sip was telling me on his morning show that Tanner Lee was a certain NFL draft choice, but perhaps not a first rounder...that hook was firmly in my lip.

So...what am I left to think about this basketball team.  Should I buy the hype, or hold back a little and just be cautiously optimistic.  I want to go head over heals, but can my psyche take another swing and miss. 

• Sure we have an experienced PG that may actually have a chance to be a first or second team All-Big Ten team; and yes, we have a couple of dudes that can back him up, so yeah, we have depth at PG.
  • Sure we have some great choices for SG.  This Palmer kid was okay at Miami, but won't he be rusty and can we really be sure that he will have the right mindset?  Sure Anton was an elite recruit, but injuries and rustiness will not allow him to show his  true skills, right???  And yes we have three freshmen that could potentially play the off-guard position.  But an expert tells us one is too small, the others, shoot who knows, we have had more bad luck then good luck with recruits...right?
  • Who really knows about the wing, right?  Jack has a beard, so no way he can play the three.  Isaiah sure can't play the three, he doesn't have the three point shot, so sheesh, he is nothing but a possibility there, right?  Copeland can't play there, he is too tall, correct?  Perhaps Evan can play there?  Well heck, I am told he cannot shoot either, so heck, we just don't have a player that can fit into the role of a wing.
  • PF has always been AWOL here at dear old UNL.  Jack, well too slow and to weak, right?  Copeland, he doesn't want to pound in the lane, shoot, I am told he is Walter P II.  And Isaiah, we remember last year, he will get pushed all over and has no chance to play a power position, right?
  • Post play, has Nebraska had a post player since Alec?  I think not.  We have had a couple wannabe's, but really, we are going to count on players when we cannot even pronounce their last names....really?
  • And defense...really?  We don't play good defense, teams score less on us because we hold the ball on offense. 
  • And is there a possibility we could play up tempo, heck, that isn't even remotely possible with this coaching staff, right???

So now, I should be optimistic right?  Members of this board seriously want me to buy into this team, this year???

You are right...I do buy in.  We are going to provide shock and awe...I believe!  I am truly geeked for this season!

Edited by huskercwg

45 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Oh, c'mon, Dale.  If I was the incoming AD (which I'm not) then I could see you making that point.  It wasn't a boast; it wasn't a sales pitch; it was just a spontaneous statement that seemed like he wanted to be able to share his excitement and optimism.  There was almost a giddiness in his tone of voice that I hadn't really seen before.  Had nothing whatsoever to do with "knowing he's on the brink of being fired," which I don't think is his mindset at all.

Would you piss in someone else's cornflakes please?

I'm sorry for urinating in your cereal.  

Forgive me for not getting too excited for Mile's optimism, he hasn't really done anything lately to garner any trust in his in game and in season coaching abilities.

15 minutes ago, huskercwg said:
  • PF has always been AWOL here at dear old UNL.  Jack, well too slow and to weak, right?  Copeland, he doesn't want to pound in the lane, shoot, I am told he is Walter P II.  And Isaiah, we remember last year, he will get pushed all over and has no chance to play a power position, right!

Copeland's offensive game is a lot more diverse than Pitchford's was.