Eichorst Out

hskr4life

Since this thread is already lost in the forest, I will continue the wandering a bit before heading off to see what transpires at NU today. Watched a bit of the Jayhawk/WVU game which made me nostalgic for my old alma mater on game day. The ambience while walking through the neighborhood tailgates toward the stadium in Lawrence on game day is what college football is about. The first college game I ever attended was KU-NU with NU of course winning led by Thunder Thornton. In fact the only thing that sort of ruins the day at KU is having to watch the game. And the Hawks appear to be unusually putrid this year, making me realize how far we have to go at NU to become truly awful. Whoever was announcing the game was already going over the basketball roster and saying Self has planned a tough early season schedule (without mentioning coming to Lincoln). OK, enough rambling now. Off to sample gourmet hot dogs at Fly Boyz. Might prove to be more savory than poutine.  

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Didn't Cory Schlesinger score two TDs against Miami in the Orangebowl on options?

I mean, that's the whole point of the scheme, isn't it?  Tommie reads what Warren Sapp is doing and if it's one read, he keeps it and if it's the other read, he slips the ball to Schlesinger and continues down the line as though he kept the ball.

Either read, the play sets up the same with the fullback running off the QB's back hip, whether he gets the ball or not. Otherwise, you can't surprise the defense when the fullback ends up with the ball. Right?

The first Schlesinger TD was off an option look to the right where they trapped Sapp, Aaron Graham cut blocked Ray Lewis, Wilks pulled from the RG and took out the SLB, and Schlesinger hit the hole between the RT and TE.  The second TD was a classic trap play off an isolation look, not an option play, where Sapp was trapped again.  (I still remember a UCLA defensive tackle that year saying that he wasn't that impressed with Nebraska's offensive line since they didn't seem physically dominating to him - what he didn't realize was that he wasn't blocked on a lot of plays, because he wasn't worth blocking.)

When Nebraska under Osborne ran an option play, the fake to the fullback was just that, a fake.  They did that so as to eliminate exchange problems (so you wouldn't have to decide instantly whether to give the ball or pull it back), to let the QB get to the edge faster, to allow the FB to concentrate on his blocking assignment on the play, and for the offensive line to block it differently since it was most often a trap.

All three TDs against Miami were absolute things of beauty.  My favorite personal memory is the first one, I was sitting in the south end zone with a friend.  On third and short we went with 2 tight ends and a power I formation, Miami responded by taking out a safety and bringing in an extra tackle.  My friend said that we'd run this formation twice now and not gotten anything.  I said we were going to run play action to the tight end.  At the snap of the ball, I am yelling "he's open, touchdown" before the pass was even thrown.  The great part was the Miami fan sitting by us gave us a look with his mouth open like he was thinking, how the hell did these guys know what was coming. My friend just said, "we've seen them play a lot."

On 9/23/2017 at 9:36 AM, atskooc said:

How you comprehended my comment is...interesting. 

What I'm saying is the fullback wasn't chosen as the ball carrier on an option play in the huddle.  If Osborne called an option, the fullback had no chance of getting the ball (though I do think I remember hearing we did run a true triple option play twice in a bowl game, so the fullback had a chance on those two plays).

If the fullback got the ball up the middle in our offense, it was a fullback trap.  Not an option.

So since the option of giving it to the fullback is determined before they break the huddle it ceases to be part of the triple option?  I disagree.  The fullback is the third option regardless of when it’s decided upon that he’s getting the ball. 

2 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

So since the option of giving it to the fullback is determined before they break the huddle it ceases to be part of the triple option?  I disagree.  The fullback is the third option regardless of when it’s decided upon that he’s getting the ball. 

If there are only two available ball carriers (QB and IB), there is no third option. In Osborne's offense, the fullback did not have the ability to get the ball on an option play (it was always a fake to the fullback, unless we were running a called fullback trap, which is not an option play). If there is no third option, it can't be a triple option. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 49r said:

Looks like it won't be Trev replacing him.

Looks like Trev was the one who said no thanks. In all honesty it might be a good decision for both parties. 

Despite getting off to a rocky start at UNO with cutting the football and wrestling programs, UNO is seeing some growth in their athletic department. They have a nice new arena that fits them, and people actually care about sports other than hockey. I think if he'd come to Nebraska it would have been hostile immediately and some times it's best to just stay put. 

It's like Mark Few says "You don't leave a job when you're happy." and I think Trev is plenty happy in Omaha

Maybe Chris Del Conte (TCU) is the guy?

http://bigrednation.com/2017/10/rumor-alert-nebraska-may-found-new-ad/

Hired Dixon as TCU's hoops coach last year, which, considering TCU's basketball history, seems like a pretty good hire.

And of course tremendous success at TCU in football & baseball under his watch. To be fair, he inherited both of those sports' coaches, but he also deserves credit for making TCU a place where they'd want to stay, rather than jumping to a bigger program.

Jamie Dixon fell into his lap, in fairness.  Pitt fans were getting restless and it was looking like Dixon might be on the way out there, he apparently was looking for a way out before getting pushed out.  TCU is his alma mater (who also just happened to be in the middle of a huge renovation of their arena) so the fates all seemed to align.  Kind of a low risk move there.

5 hours ago, 49r said:

Jamie Dixon fell into his lap, in fairness.  Pitt fans were getting restless and it was looking like Dixon might be on the way out there, he apparently was looking for a way out before getting pushed out.  TCU is his alma mater (who also just happened to be in the middle of a huge renovation of their arena) so the fates all seemed to align.  Kind of a low risk move there.

True dat...but some will say that Nebraska got lucky when Bill Callahan fell into our lap.  Of course the death of power football at good ol UNL soon followed.

I'd interpret this as "Miles better make the NCAA this year." Anybody looking for "progress" or the NIT this year is setting the bar too low. 

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/shatel-football-president-hank-bounds-understands-importance-of-a-d/article_342d937e-aecc-11e7-8845-63d69a1aad7e.html

On performance, Bounds said his goal is for every Husker sport, not just football, to chase national titles. “At the press conference (where Eichorst’s dismissal was announced), everybody focused on football. But basketball, every year we should be talking about the Big Ten championship and making deep runs in the (NCAA) tournament. Baseball, we should be seeing a red N across the street.” By that, he meant TD Ameritrade Park, just down the street from The World-Herald and home to the College World Series.

Yikes!  

Does he care whether the coaches cheat while they’re trying to meet his winning standards?  

Seems a little heavy on the “win at all cost” idea.  And sounds like a “let’s fire our way” to a winning program.

One of our problems in the past decade or so is instability in leadership through firings.  This is a bit scary, in my book.

Edited by Swan88

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'd interpret this as "Miles better make the NCAA this year." Anybody looking for "progress" or the NIT this year is setting the bar too low. 

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/shatel-football-president-hank-bounds-understands-importance-of-a-d/article_342d937e-aecc-11e7-8845-63d69a1aad7e.html

On performance, Bounds said his goal is for every Husker sport, not just football, to chase national titles. “At the press conference (where Eichorst’s dismissal was announced), everybody focused on football. But basketball, every year we should be talking about the Big Ten championship and making deep runs in the (NCAA) tournament. Baseball, we should be seeing a red N across the street.” By that, he meant TD Ameritrade Park, just down the street from The World-Herald and home to the College World Series.

Wow.  You read a lot into stuff.

I certainly don't want us to cheat to win.  That said, I do want us to win.  We have been a pretty average school sans Volleyball, Track and Field and Bowling for a couple decades.  Time to win and time to demand winning teams. 

In basketball there shouldn't be an issue to expect to be a consistent top 25 program, and top five program in the Big Ten.  Sure that sounds ridiculous given our history.  But why not push that expectation.  And if you are a top 25 program, you have a shot at National titles on occasion.  I WANT THAT EXPECTATION.  Honestly, there are programs in the Big Ten that are meeting or close to meeting that expectation...in all the major sports.  If they can do it, with our facilities and fans support, we should be able to meet or exceed those expectations.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

I certainly don't want us to cheat to win.  That said, I do want us to win.  We have been a pretty average school sans Volleyball, Track and Field and Bowling for a couple decades.  Time to win and time to demand winning teams. 

In basketball there shouldn't be an issue to expect to be a consistent top 25 program, and top five program in the Big Ten.  Sure that sounds ridiculous given our history.  But why not push that expectation.  And if you are a top 25 program, you have a shot at National titles on occasion.  I WANT THAT EXPECTATION.  Honestly, there are programs in the Big Ten that are meeting or close to meeting that expectation...in all the major sports.  If they can do it, with our facilities and fans support, we should be able to meet or exceed those expectations.

This is what i'm gleaming from the Bounds quote versus "win this year or else".  Also, how great is it to have a president who cares about athletics?

As far as Miles goes he very well could be fired if he fails to make the tournament this year. Or, he might not be.  Bounds will carry out his vision by whomever he hires as AD. Will the new AD be on the same page with Miles/buy into what he's selling? That's one of those things that matters when the decision of whether we should keep him around or not isn't obvious.

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

A top 25 finish is expecting us to be in the top 7% of all Divison I basketball programs. That's the equivalent percentage of saying we should be the #9 team in football every year. I'm not saying shoot for the stars, but let's at least shoot for being one of the 68 teams in the tournament first.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

There's certainly a little merit to putting some pressure on some programs when the last conference football championship we played in was 5 years ago and the last one we won was 18 years ago. Our last basketball conference tournament championship was 23 years ago and the last outright regular season championship we won was 67 years ago. There's certainly some room for improvement.