The home schedule:

Michigan State

Colorado

Minnesota

Purdue

Troy 

Illinois

Akron

I have to throw out the postion that retaining Riley for another year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, because a new coach probably means that every QB on the roster transfers out, and you're looking at the new coaches first year being pretty brutal. It might be best to delay it at least a  year.

As for Miles, if Eichorst had been retained but remained twisting in the wind I don't think Miles would have been replaced, because there's no way you make a quality hire in those circumstances.

33 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I've seen a couple of people make the option football comment now.  What are you basing this on?  

What top team runs a true triple option?   The service academies and Georgia Tech.   You equalize talent disparity by spreading the field to allow your athletes space.  

25 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Next year's road football schedule:

@ Ohio State

@ Michigan

@ Wisconsin

@ Iowa

@ Northwestern

The home schedule:

Michigan State

Colorado

Minnesota

Purdue

Troy 

Illinois

Akron

I have to throw out the postion that retaining Riley for another year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, because a new coach probably means that every QB on the roster transfers out, and you're looking at the new coaches first year being pretty brutal. It might be best to delay it at least a  year.

As for Miles, if Eichorst had been retained but remained twisting in the wind I don't think Miles would have been replaced, because there's no way you make a quality hire in those circumstances.

Our schedules are pretty darn difficult the next  4 years.  Cant shy away from doing whats necessary because of fear of next years schedule

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Chris Del Conte of TCU would be an excellent choice.  The Frogs have become players in several major sports during his tenure.  Triple option FB of old isn't what's needed, a spread with a great dual threat QB is the way to go.  

As I stated in the Women.s forum, Coach Williams has to be nervous about the situation.

Agree on the Spread and dual threat QB

Why would Williams need to worry?  I would hope she is far enough down the pecking order that she will have a couple more years at least to fix the ship.

1.  I am not surprised Eichorst was fired so quickly, but I was not expecting it to happen until after the Rutgers game.    No inside information, but I bet Eichorst knew he was fired sometime Monday or Tuesday.  Both sides probably wanted a quiet exit and it took a few days to work out settlement terms.  

From a PR standpoint, the move was very smart.  Riley's mistake, to some, was simply accepting a job for which he was not qualified. Riley is generally considered a nice guy and is well respected in the coaching community.  Letting Riley hang in the balance of a season would not go over well in some coaching circles.  Worse yet, Riley has some legitimate players committed to the program with a few other highly rated kids seriously interested.   Firing Riley will only kill any recruiting momentum unless someone who is currently available (Les Miles, Mack Brown) is immediately hired and given a 2-3 year contract.  Elevating Diaco to interim coach will offer little incentive as kids will have no clue what system will be run the next season.  Further, no other coach will be available until after Thanksgiving at the earliest. 

Remember, there is an early signing period this December and guys like Bookie may not want to reopen things in January ( especially if they are a spring enrollee).  

Eichorst though was treated like a villain by many.  Firing him shows those in power are willing to take quick action to remedy the issue and satiates the masses.  But it also helps Riley.  The longer the entire process takes, the harder it will be for a new AD to fire Riley.  The program needs to be stabilized and allowing the "nice guy" HC sign a solid recruiting class will help.  Plus it gives the new AD time to plan things out.  Riley could remove 1-2 sacrificial lambs (Cav and Langsdorf) and soothe a number of people.    

2.  Today really helps Miles who was under the gun this season.  No NCAA and Miles would have been gone.  However, Miles now falls to 3rd on the priority level and will likely have this season and next to prove himself with the new AD.  If Miles signs Roberts and Johnson (and assuming there are no transfers next April), Miles will have a deep bench in 2018-2019.  

9 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Didn't find much to argue with there.

Agree.  Lee always seems to make part of it about himself, but his points on SE are valid and not cheap shots.  This was a Harvey debacle that was never gonna work, on a bunch of levels.  Onward and upward, hopefully.  

Edited by HB

7 hours ago, Donkey said:

Riley's mistake, to some, was simply accepting a job for which he was not qualified.

Well I don't know about that. The guy had vast experience in the Pac-10/12 and coached at the highest levels in North America in the CFL having won two Grey Cups and in the NFL. I'm not saying it wasn't a strange hire, and his recent lack of successes made it even more puzzling, but he certainly had a resume that qualified him for a collegiate program that isn't in the top echelon, like Nebraska.

4 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Was brought up elsewhere (heck maybe here, HB you're not the only brain dead one) that this may help both Miles and Riley because NU may not want to be paying Bo, Shawn, Tim,  and Riley, and a whole new staff in both sports at once.

Miles wouldnt be getting paid though right? If hes fired after this season (hope thats not the case) his contract would have been completed. 

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Thought he had a 5-year deal and only the last 2 years haven't been renewed.   That'd still give him a few years of buyout.

Very well could be. Im not really sure how that stuff works. I was under the impression that he was on the last year of his deal and essentially coaching out his contract.

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Well I don't know about that. The guy had vast experience in the Pac-10/12 and coached at the highest levels in North America in the CFL having won two Grey Cups and in the NFL. I'm not saying it wasn't a strange hire, and his recent lack of successes made it even more puzzling, but he certainly had a resume that qualified him for a collegiate program that isn't in the top echelon, like Nebraska.

No arguing Riley's qualifications.  My point is that some people are not mad at Riley per se.  They are mad Riley was offered (and accepted) the position.  Think of it as misdirected anger.

I sometimes lurk on other boards and this Eichorst thing has been interesting to me.

There is a group of people who seem to think this is a catastrophic move by the university that undercuts a potentially very strong recruiting class that Riley has been putting together.  Those people seem to think firing Eichorst essentially cuts the nads off of Riley and dooms him to failure when they thought he was well on his way to success. It's almost like a funeral for some of them.

These same people, over the years, typically:

• Express contempt for tradition (i.e., the "Husker" way)
  • Express contempt for Tom Osborne because he ...
  1. Forced Bill Byrne to replace him with Frank Solich
  2. Hired Bo Pelini based on his (tenuous) connection with the Husker past
  3. Failed to fire Mike Anderson the moment they turned on him
  4. Hired his former punter to replace Mike Anderson (more inbreeding from their perspective)
  5. Is viewed with reverence by the so-called "Tradition Coalition" who value the "Husker" way
  • Give men's head basketball coaches about 3 seasons to turn things around before bailing on them
  • Mock other fans who continue to support head basketball coaches longer than 3 years into their tenure
  • Mock the current men's basketball coach by, for instance, calling Doc Sadler "Kenneth" or belittling Miles for his tweeting
  • Are conspicuously silent after big Husker hoops wins and conspicuously noisy after big Husker hoops losses
  • Think that having Tom Osborne in charge of hiring coaches or ADs is a very bad idea (see above)
  • Think that hiring any AD or Coach who has a previous Osborne connection is a very bad idea (so no Trev Alberts or Dave Rimington)

Given the above, it is mystifying to me why they seem so distraught about Eichorst getting fired.  And not so much because they like Eichorst as much as they think the Eichorst firing is really the death knell for Mike Riley's coaching tenure here.

It's equally mystifying to me that they're so willing to remain supportive of Mike Riley in the face of a profound lack of progress at the helm of a program that still has some legitimate national cachet even as they turn on basketball coaches in charge of programs that manifestly lack that national cachet.  I mean, why are they so supportive of Riley and willing to give him a pass on the abysmal end to last year and the beginning of this one even as they express outrage that the boom wasn't lowered on Miles back in March?

It just makes me glad that the average fan has no input on coaching changes.

Good summary, Norm.   There is a diehard group of HP/SP/SE supporters who are Kevin Bacon in the Animal House parade with regard to football.   Must be my old man cataracts that cause me to miss the good football being played by all these shiny object from signing day. 

2 hours ago, HB said:

Good summary, Norm.   There is a diehard group of HP/SP/SE supporters who are Kevin Bacon in the Animal House parade with regard to football.   Must be my old man cataracts that cause me to miss the good football being played by all these shiny object from signing day. 

Is Ronnie Green a Nebraska partisan figure yet?