Eichorst Out

hskr4life

11 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think the next AD will share Osborne's opinion on the next FB HC seeing as Osborne is already being consulted for the next AD hire.  It will be a unified front.  The press conference today signaled nothing less.  

Okay after reading press conference transcript they have asked Tom for an opinion on the AD and I okay with that.  However, I hope the AD is his own man and hires HIS/HER own football coach.  Tom's track record on football coaches hasn't been great.  Not Steve Pederson bad but not the guy to take us where we want to go.

10 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

Will Mark Boehm survive another AD change?

Marc Boehm must do some stuff that isn't readily apparent to the average Joe fan. 

Superfluous men do not receive big paychecks over a long period of time. 

The biggest complaint about him that I've seen is that nobody knows what he does.  Is that surprising?  Unless you're in the department, why would you?  But just because what he does isn't very public or visible doesn't mean he isn't doing something that the people in the athletic department find valuable.

I don't know what he does either, but whatever it is, it must be something useful and needed or he wouldn't still be around.

What I don't get is why some fans blame him for the basketball program not winning more games.  It seems like at the end of every season in which we fail to make the post-season, half a dozen people are chiming in here saying they think it's time we got rid of that Boehm guy.  But what part of on-court success would he be responsible for?  Is he a coach? No.  Recruiting coordinator? No.  Is he assigned a certain number of scouts every year and we lose the games that he scouted? No. 

Unless you know what his job description is and what his "other duties as assigned" are, then feel free not to express an opinion as to whether he's doing his job or not.

Edited by Norm Peterson

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Marc Boehm must do some stuff that isn't readily apparent to the average Joe fan. 

Superfluous men do not receive big paychecks over a long period of time. 

The biggest complaint about him that I've seen is that nobody knows what he does.  Is that surprising?  Unless you're in the department, why would you?  But just because what he does isn't very public or visible doesn't mean he isn't doing something that the people in the athletic department find valuable.

I don't know what he does either, but whatever it is, it must be something useful and needed or he wouldn't still be around.

What I don't get is why some fans blame him for the basketball program not winning more games.  It seems like at the end of every season in which we fail to make the post-season, half a dozen people are chiming in here saying they think it's time we got rid of that Boehm guy.  But what part of on-court success would he be responsible for?  Is he a coach? No.  Recruiting coordinator? No.  Is he assigned a certain number of scouts every year and we lose the games that he scouted? No. 

Unless you know what his job description is and what his "other duties as assigned" are, then feel free not to express an opinion as to whether he's doing his job or not.

According to huskers.com , his duties (among others) include development and fundraising initiatives and direct oversight of men's and women's basketball.

So, he obviously is a hell of fundraiser, because since 2003 his direct oversight of basketball hasn't been very good.

1 minute ago, bigred4 said:

According to huskers.com , his duties (among others) include development and fundraising initiatives and direct oversight of men's and women's basketball.

So, he obviously is a hell of fundraiser, because since 2003 his direct oversight of basketball hasn't been very good.

What's the rubric and how do you determine success or failure against that rubric?

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

What's the rubric and how do you determine success or failure against that rubric?

I think it's pretty obvious that are program has not been a success since 2003.  We have had 1 NCAA appearance in that time.  If we have had 4 or 5 in that same time, I doubt people would not care what Boehm does or doesn't do.  Are you saying the basketball program has been a success under Boehm's direct oversight? 

Since he is still here, he obviously brings some value to the athletic department, just know sure if it is through his oversight of the basketball program.

35 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Okay after reading press conference transcript they have asked Tom for an opinion on the AD and I okay with that.  However, I hope the AD is his own man and hires HIS/HER own football coach.  Tom's track record on football coaches hasn't been great.  Not Steve Pederson bad but not the guy to take us where we want to go.

Osborne's recommendation (Solich) and hire (Pelini) both had .750+ winning percentages.  Those are remarkably rare winning percentages.  Solich was fired by a colossal idiot, and Pelini would've been given every chance in the world to succeed/update his staff had he not burned bridges.  Regardless, even the Pelini hire was a very successful one given where the program was in 2007.  

Yori--upgrade.

Miles--upgrade.

Erstad--upgrade.  

New practice facilities.

New arena.  

TO was a great AD by every known metric.  The next AD can still be his/her own man and agree with the greatest coach in college football history.  A great doctor typically agrees with other great doctors on diagnoses. etc.  

2 hours ago, LK1 said:

Great proactive decision, IMO.  

Hopefully we won't get cute with the next hire(s).  

It's funny:  the moron ADs who took the pretentious "academic" and "philosophical" approach to hiring rather than the blatantly obvious empirical one were Peterson and Eichorst.  The middle guy--Osborne, who just so happens to have a doctorate in educational psychology--picked coaches with Nebraska ties because he understood the importance of culture and communication in this area. 

All of Osborne's hires--Pelini, Miles, Yori, and Erstad--have a Nebraska commonality, and all of them were more successful than their predecessor.  None of them were celebrity hires, but they were all carefully considered and did not involve some public abstract esoteric boast of "understanding" of coaching philosophy.  What's even more hilarious about the lack of boast is that Osborne is an actual coaching genius, yet he is time and time again dismissed by fans as someone the program shouldn't be seeking for advice.  

The claim of Steve Peterson was that our football program was gravitating to "mediocrity" two years from a national championship appearance and that our insanely innovative offensive system was antiquated.  Idiot.  

The claim of Shawn Eichorst was that he knows championship-calibre football while hiring a coach with a horrendously worse record than the one he fired.  Doofus.  

Hopefully when Osborne is consulted, we will do what he suggests, which probably means the subsequent hiring of AD Alberts and HC Frost.  I agree with the notion that TM might have two guaranteed seasons now, including this one.  

Just don't hire some pretentious idiot who has their head so far up their own ass that they can't see what's right in front of them.  PLEASE.  

Agree with much of the post, but just for accuracy sake, Bill Byrne hired Yori.  

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Oh I agree, but with the early signing period...could it have waited? Or, would we have cut the recruits loose regardless? I'm not sure.  I don't think this puts a final nail in Riley's coffin but it obviously turns up the heat as high as it can go. 

The timing of this actually gives a better chance of saving the recruiting class.   No way Eichorst was going to get to hire the next coach.   This is the order in which this had to happen.  Firing SE this early allows the replacement to get in place sooner, who can then be ready to go right after the Iowa game with the coaching search.  If we wait until November, it all gets drug out further.   You wait on it, and assuming the miracle turn around doesn't happen and you fire Riley, and you're screwed.  

39 minutes ago, bigred4 said:

He doesn't make personnel decisions, as far as I know. He was in this role (I think...) when the program was (rightly) called out for how it treated the basketball program after the whole shim-sham debacle. They responded and for the most part have run a pretty first class operation in terms of how they treat their fans and the production level of a game day. He successfully navigated the transition from the Bob to PBA, something that's more difficult than most of us probably realize. He's a good fundraiser, from everything I've heard. Until he starts hiring coaches or recruiting players, I'm not going to worry about Mr. Boehm.

If he is a part of the hiring process, that might change my tone a bit.

Tim Miles isn't going anywhere if he even remotely has a decent year. This is about football and football only. SE ran a good, efficient, well ran athletic department. He wasn't present, friendly, was often aloof, and didn't play to the right people. All fine if your football team is playing for conference championships and not losing to Northern Illinois. 

4 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Tension between the hoops and AD office were a poorly kept secret. Hoping it frees Miles up a bit. I personally think it buys Miles a year. Whether that's good or bad probably depends on your perspective.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

This. 

You know, today marks exactly the one month mark of Coach Miles' return to twitter...remember he started tweeting on August 21st (for the Eclipse) and has been sporadically tweeting since....but today he's been a regular tweety-bird.  Could this just be a coincidence?

Here is are all of his tweets in the last month:

7 hours ago, LK1 said:

Great proactive decision, IMO.  

Hopefully we won't get cute with the next hire(s).  

It's funny:  the moron ADs who took the pretentious "academic" and "philosophical" approach to hiring rather than the blatantly obvious empirical one were Peterson and Eichorst.  The middle guy--Osborne, who just so happens to have a doctorate in educational psychology--picked coaches with Nebraska ties because he understood the importance of culture and communication in this area. 

All of Osborne's hires--Pelini, Miles, Yori, and Erstad--have a Nebraska commonality, and all of them were more successful than their predecessor.  None of them were celebrity hires, but they were all carefully considered and did not involve some public abstract esoteric boast of "understanding" of coaching philosophy.  What's even more hilarious about the lack of boast is that Osborne is an actual coaching genius, yet he is time and time again dismissed by fans as someone the program shouldn't be seeking for advice.  

The claim of Steve Peterson was that our football program was gravitating to "mediocrity" two years from a national championship appearance and that our insanely innovative offensive system was antiquated.  Idiot.  

The claim of Shawn Eichorst was that he knows championship-calibre football while hiring a coach with a horrendously worse record than the one he fired.  Doofus.  

Hopefully when Osborne is consulted, we will do what he suggests, which probably means the subsequent hiring of AD Alberts and HC Frost.  I agree with the notion that TM might have two guaranteed seasons now, including this one.  

Just don't hire some pretentious idiot who has their head so far up their own ass that they can't see what's right in front of them.  PLEASE.  

Bill Byrne hired Connie Yori.

Chris Del Conte of TCU would be an excellent choice.  The Frogs have become players in several major sports during his tenure.  Triple option FB of old isn't what's needed, a spread with a great dual threat QB is the way to go.  

As I stated in the Women.s forum, Coach Williams has to be nervous about the situation.

11 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Chris Del Conte of TCU would be an excellent choice.  The Frogs have become players in several major sports during his tenure.  Triple option FB of old isn't what's needed, a spread with a great dual threat QB is the way to go.  

As I stated in the Women.s forum, Coach Williams has to be nervous about the situation.

I've seen a couple of people make the option football comment now.  What are you basing this on?  

People are already counting Riley as fired. I get people wanting change and wanting things for football to be like the good ole days. First it's a different era. We aren't going back to the good ole days but that doesn't mean we can't be better and more consistent. 

Second, even understanding the "why's" people have, I can't show enthusiasm for anyone getting fired. I'm glad Miles is here but I felt bad for Doc just on a human level. Not here but I've seen "fuck ya!" Tweeted about today's firing. I'm not superior to anyone so that's why I find it hard to celebrate other's failures. I have to admit I'm sure my feelings on this has something to do with being in that same situation myself.  I personally have no idea how well the job of AD was being performed. I have heard high school football coaches that have dealings with Riley involving recruiting and their statement was, "I hope Riley is here forever."  

Head coaches are responsible for their program. The buck stops at their desk and they get paid very well to deal with that responsibility. But there are things out of their control. The backbone of the team should be your 4th & 5th year seniors and the redshirt juniors. Those would be Bo's  recruits. Look at the roster to see how many of those guys are even still On the team. Bo had strentghs but recruiting wasn't one of them. 

16 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Eh, I doubt it. Secondary sports (non-football, men's basketball division) probably aren't gonna have much to worry about for a while unless they royally screw something up. Williams should be fine. And unless the bottom falls out for Miles this year (which anyone watching the program for any length of time can't dismiss as a possibility) I think this buys him a year, too.

Edited by uneblinstu