Eichorst Out

hskr4life

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Can't make decisions like this based on recruiting. A good coach will be able to get the players here.

Oh I agree, but with the early signing period...could it have waited? Or, would we have cut the recruits loose regardless? I'm not sure.  I don't think this puts a final nail in Riley's coffin but it obviously turns up the heat as high as it can go. 

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Oh I agree, but with the early signing period...could it have waited? Or, would we have cut the recruits loose regardless? I'm not sure.  I don't think this puts a final nail in Riley's coffin but it obviously turns up the heat as high as it can go. 

I don't think it does that at all. Turns up the heat, sure, but he's got a chance to win his way off the hot seat. I don't think any AD will have a mandate to fire a coach. And depending on when it happens, it may not be a wise decision for an AD to come in and fire the football coach his first month on the job.

Football is the big fish. I'm sure the first order of business is getting the football team on track however the new AD sees fit. Plus Nebrasketball is a Sweet 16 team this year sooooooo.

Sounds like they're hiring a search firm which always goes well. Kinda hope they don't hire Trev Alberts. In my completely uninformed, uneducated opinion, I just don't like the guy for some reason. 

Just now, nustudent said:

Didn't we quote/unquote hire a search firm for Osborne to come up with Pelini & Gill?

I honestly don't remember that far back.  Grobe was Obsorne's number #1 choice wasn't he? Atleast, that was the rumor and Grobe more or less confirmed that.  If we did hire a search firm I'm not sure if he was their recommendation. 

I think search firm hired will report back to Osborne on the candidates he wants searched.  Their job will likely be to do thorough background checks on Osborne's candidates.  

1.  Frost

2.  Triple option gurus--Johnson, Niumatalolo, Calhoun

3.  Whoever the firm finds.  

I think Calhoun is the dark horse--NFL OC experience, loves the triple option, and has had 10-win seasons 2 of the last 3 years at friggin Air Force.  

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

I think search firm hired will report back to Osborne on the candidates he wants searched.  Their job will likely be to do thorough background checks on Osborne's candidates.  

1.  Frost

I think Calhoun is the dark horse--NFL OC experience, loves the triple option, and has had 10-win seasons 2 of the last 3 years at friggin Air Force.  

Huh? I guess that's a sure way of not hiring a big time AD..."Hey Mr AD, please come lead our athletic department...but, you can't hire the football coach.  That will be Tom Osborne's duty."  Sorry, I don't see that happening. 

Although this move seems like that of a drowning man thinking flailing around in the water will help, since Miles was hired by TO it should have no affect in the basketball program. I would guess that this means someone on high has decided to give up on this year's football team already so it may be an unexpected opportunity for b-ball to take center stage if we can just have some modest success (like another invitation to the Dance). So long Shawn, I was just learning to spell your name. 

59 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

His job status was always tied with Riley.  After the start of this year, he was a sitting duck.  Not sure I agree with firing him right now unless we have a replacement lined up.  Really worried the recruiting will now tank. 

Guessing, and this is based on a plug nickel and what's inside my head, that the longer it takes to get an AD the safer the current staffs are.  I doubt unless he/she has a home run hire for the football program lined up, whomever comes in will give Riley another year.  I do hope if that is the case, that Devaney makes Riley cut some more of the dead weight on his staff.  I think that big sigh of relief I heard early was coming from Tim Miles office.

17 minutes ago, LK1 said:

1.  Frost

Tom has said he doesn't expect to be asked his opinion and I am okay with that.  If he is asked, I am okay with that too.  You #2 option for a coach don't intrigue me one bit.  Frost is still green but appears to be a good coach and if he is the choice I am okay with that.  I hope we look at several other up and coming Head Coaches too.

10 minutes ago, nustudent said:

If it comes to that...Frost or Mullen are my preferences.  I like Fuente at VaTech a ton too, but that program is back up and running already and may be too much to get him away.   I'd throw $5MM at Mullen and say compete with Bama and LSU with Miss State's resources or Iowa and Wisconsin with Nebraska's.  

$4.5 mil puts you in the top 10 of CFB salaries. You can go really big if you're willing to spend that much.

29 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Huh? I guess that's a sure way of not hiring a big time AD..."Hey Mr AD, please come lead our athletic department...but, you can't hire the football coach.  That will be Tom Osborne's duty."  Sorry, I don't see that happening. 

I think the next AD will share Osborne's opinion on the next FB HC seeing as Osborne is already being consulted for the next AD hire.  It will be a unified front.  The press conference today signaled nothing less.  

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Severe on his show said behind the scenes, people were expecting it to come within the week.

:D Well, I am not one of those behind the scenes, so I was surprised by the timing.  Again, not surprised that it happened.  By the way, (HB = Hank Bounds) played a big role... :lol: I kid, I kid.