Y'know, Glynn Watson kinda reminds me of ...

Norm Peterson

12 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Hmm.  Isaiah seems to be a taller version of Larry Florence, and Glynn is sort of like Andre Woolridge with a bit of Ty Lue melded in. 

Clifford Scales.  See if you can find video of Clifford.  He and Glynn carry themselves in much the same way.  Their strengths are similar.  Both were quiet yet intense and lead more by example than by getting in people's faces.

Oh, and they went to the same high school.

And, interestingly, Clifford played on a Nebraska Husker team that went 10-18 one year and 26-8 the next.

Carl Hayes was also on that team.  Another kid from Illinois (I think also from Westchester St. Joseph), Carl was a 6'8" forward who excelled in the open floor with the ball in his hands.  More slasher than shooter.  Really long and athletic player with excellent ball skills for a guy that tall.

And the year they went 10-18, they had a power forward transfer who sat out, 6'9" kid from California who played a huge role on the team that went 26-8 the next year.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Clifford Scales.  See if you can find video of Clifford.  He and Glynn carry themselves in much the same way.  Their strengths are similar.  Both were quiet yet intense and lead more by example than by getting in people's faces.

And, interestingly, Clifford played on a Nebraska Husker team that went 10-18 one year and 26-8 the next.

Carl Hayes was also on that team.  Another kid from Illinois (I think also from Westchester St. Joseph), Carl was a 6'8" forward who excelled in the open floor with the ball in his hands.  More slasher than shooter.  Really long and athletic player with excellent ball skills for a guy that tall.

And the year they went 10-18, they had a power forward transfer who sat out, 6'9" kid from California who played a huge role on the team that went 26-8 the next year.

Not Logical to reference the past Norm... Don't want any positive references to give out false hopes on this board... Sarcasm

I know you are comparing with old Nebraska players, but I am really hoping that Thomas Allen's game is similar to Sherron Collins at Kansas

Edited by big red22

11 hours ago, big red22 said:

Not Logical to reference the past Norm... Don't want any positive references to give out false hopes on this board... Sarcasm

I know you are comparing with old Nebraska players, but I am really hoping that Thomas Allen's game is similar to Sherron Collins at Kansas

I'm wondering if our Watson-Allen duo can be similar to the KU guard of the past couple of years--Devonte Graham and Frank Mason, III.  Allen reminds me a whole lot of Graham.  Combo guard, Brewster Academy, 6'2", 40+% 3pt shooter.  I think Self thought so as well.  

Mason and Graham were basically unguardable together the past two seasons.  It helps when Mason shot a legit 50% from 3.  I think both GWIII and Allen will shoot over 40% from 3 this season.  

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ha love me some Carl Hayes and good comp. Had a few classes with him and he was a good dude but lets hope Roby takes his education a little more seriously

1 minute ago, Art Vandalay said:

Ha love me some Carl Hayes and good comp. Had a few classes with him and he was a good dude but lets hope Roby takes his education a little more seriously

Sco'  Hayes took his education seriously enough to make sure that whoever was writing his papers got them turned in on time.

As for Tony Farmer, the dealership car he drove around for a year was decent enough, but I don't think it was worth the fact that he basically had to go pro because of it after the season.  We would have been damn good again the next year if he'd been back.

I don't remember for sure how widely circulated the Jose Ramos rumors were at the time, there may have been some native Chinese speakers in the Chemistry Department that hadn't heard it.  Crazy times.  And a great team that should have at least made the final 8.

(Even the band was great. They'd paraphrase 2 Live Crew by yelling "Hey we want some Moody". I think that would violate a whole bunch of safe space rules now.)

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Scales natural position wasn't point guard, but he managed well enough.  He wasn't the most dynamic offensive player but he was very good, would consistently knock down an open jumper, was okay in transition (the best guy leading the break on that team was Ramos, actually).  He was also very good defensively.

Glynn's more dynamic off the dribble, is more of a true point guard, is quicker but not as big.  I think he's more similar to Lue than to Scales, accounting for the fact that Tyronn was a cut above in a lot of ways. (No disrespect to Glynn because Tyronn was exceptional.)

From the little I've seen of Copeland, which is skewed by mainly watching his two best games of Georgetown, he could be pretty similar to Carl Hayes and he should be better.  Carl wouldn't really hurt you from deep but they guy could score in a lot of ways, a great natural talent that was extremely creative offensively.  (Remember Billy Cunningham doing the color commentary during the loss to Xavier saying he had NBA level skills?  Billy C was right.) If Copeland is healthy and consistent, he should be even better than that.

I remember that about Scales basically becoming a PG by necessity.  I do remember him starting out as a 2.  That's one of the ways in which Glynn reminds me of Clifford, actually, because a lot of people say Glynn is more of a 2 guard than facilitator, too.  

They were both great at anticipating on the defensive end and getting into passing lanes.  They both picked up a lot of steals, not from ball pressure but from anticipating passes.

I think they're nearly the same playing size.  Scales was not big.  I'm thinking they are/were nearly the same size.  And Scales had plenty of quicks.

Glynn's game reminds me a lot more of Clifford Scales than of Lue or of any other guard we've ever had.  And Clifford Scales is not a bad guy to be compared to.

The fact they went to the same high school ends the discussion for me.

Why, why, why did they start Moody instead of Farmer.  They were a lot better with him coming off the bench.  And a lot better with Reid at the 2 than at the 4.

The most incredible thing about that team:  in the entire history of Nebraska basketball, only 14 players that were 6'9" or better have averaged double figures for a season.  And that team had three of them.  (Hayes was listed at 6'8" that year, 6'9" the next.)

7 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Why, why, why did they start Moody instead of Farmer.  They were a lot better with him coming off the bench.  And a lot better with Reid at the 2 than at the 4.

The most incredible thing about that team:  in the entire history of Nebraska basketball, only 14 players that were 6'9" or better have averaged double figures for a season.  And that team had three of them.  (Hayes was listed at 6'8" that year, 6'9" the next.)

Might have been a case of Danny outthinking himself. That loss was considered a big upset because of the seedings, but Xavier had a couple of good guards. We had the advantage in size, but turned the ball over some and didn't hit our free throws. Although maybe I'm thinking of the Penn game. :blink:

I remember Scales as a little taller and more wirey.  Very solid, under control and smart but not a lot of flash.  Real steady and consistent.   I think Glynn's body is more compact and muscular.  A more explosive, exciting athlete capable of making wowser plays and being very exciting in the open court and going off for big games.  

Edited by lang

2 hours ago, lang said:

Lang's Friday night random thought...anyone remember Johnny Benjamin (sp?) ?

The week after the NBA slam dunk contest I saw Johnny Benjamin doing all of the contest winning dunks at the Coliseum, effortlessly.  The guy was  just amazing - I'd say he was close to Erick Strickland-level athletically and with better offensive skills.  Unfortunately, off the court things didn't work out so well.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

2 hours ago, lang said:

Hopefully Copeland is a combo of Hayes and Farmer !

When Copeland is playing at his best - that's exactly how I'd describe him.  A better shooter from deep than Carl, maybe a better ball handler, not quite as physical a presence inside as Farmer but quicker and puts it on the floor better.

On 9/21/2017 at 8:50 PM, LK1 said:

I'm wondering if our Watson-Allen duo can be similar to the KU guard of the past couple of years--Devonte Graham and Frank Mason, III.  Allen reminds me a whole lot of Graham.  Combo guard, Brewster Academy, 6'2", 40+% 3pt shooter.  I think Self thought so as well.  

Mason and Graham were basically unguardable together the past two seasons.  It helps when Mason shot a legit 50% from 3.  I think both GWIII and Allen will shoot over 40% from 3 this season.  

I posted this in another thread, but Thomas isn't 6'2". He's shorter than I am. I'd put him closer to 6' even.

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I posted this in another thread, but Thomas isn't 6'2". He's shorter than I am. I'd put him closer to 6' even.

I am shocked, shocked that roster heights and true heights don't always match up!  What, are you going to tell me next that Ed Morrow wasn't actually 6'7"?

Amazingly, one season we had a team where every returning player shrunk an inch on the roster vs what they were listed at the previous year.  Not one player, not two players, not three players, but seven!  Every single player!  One guy even shrank two inches!  What are the odds?  And just as amazingly, there were three junior college players that came in and they all seemed to grow an inch.  Unheard of.