Anton Gill

Navin R. Johnson

Something I've never understood - and I know it makes me sound and look stupid when I say it - but if you've been hurt for quite some time (as Gill has) - how much different are you physically when trainers and stuff say "oh he's single digit days away" from full participation, then if you just said, he's good to go. 

I know I'm an idiot. Just something I've always found funny. Like making a senior write a paper on his last day. 

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Something I've never understood - and I know it makes me sound and look stupid when I say it - but if you've been hurt for quite some time (as Gill has) - how much different are you physically when trainers and stuff say "oh he's single digit days away" from full participation, then if you just said, he's good to go. 

I know I'm an idiot. Just something I've always found funny. Like making a senior write a paper on his last day. 

I'm assuming Gill is presently less than 100%, so perhaps saying the smaller 'x' number of days is to indicate when Anton will be "close enough to 100%" to participate in practice, which now is coming up in about two weeks.

With all due respect to Anton, any quality minutes we get from him will be a bonus in my humble mind.  The young man is coming off a MAJOR injury plus he really hasn't played much for the better part of two years.  I sure hope I am wrong, but to count on him would almost be unfair to Anton and the team.

3 hours ago, huskercwg said:

With all due respect to Anton, any quality minutes we get from him will be a bonus in my humble mind.  The young man is coming off a MAJOR injury plus he really hasn't played much for the better part of two years.  I sure hope I am wrong, but to count on him would almost be unfair to Anton and the team.

He'll play and contribute. To think that modern science can't reconstruct a knee to make it stronger than prior to the injury would be unfair to Anton and orthopedic surgeons. 

6 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

He'll play and contribute. To think that modern science can't reconstruct a knee to make it stronger than prior to the injury would be unfair to Anton and orthopedic surgeons. 

Everyone here wants an Anton Gill that would be good enough to merit starting at the 2 because think of that depth.  We've also seen enough results where guys were never the same after such surgeries.  This is especially true in Gill's case because I don't think we've seen much/any play from him with no health issues. 

I expect Anton to contribute on the defensive end if anything. Wouldn't be surprised if his main focus is in shooting the ball outside (despite his abysmal numbers while we had him last season) instead of slashing. Hopefully, he can find himself a role. Depth isn't something to complain about.

Fyi...Again, I am truly hoping that Anton is fully recovered and has no deficit relating to either this injury or his probable rustiness.  But I am in the camp that will not count on his contribution, but will truly appreciate and cheer any and all contributions he can provide. 

Recovery and Prognosis

Recovering from a torn patellar tendon is difficult and takes time. One of the most important prognostic factors for recovery is the time to surgery, and surgery delayed beyond a few weeks can limit recovery ability. It is known that early mobility after surgery, protected strengthening, and preventing excessive stress on the repair will speed overall recovery. Even with these steps, there is a minimum of 3 months until return of normal daily activities, and 4-6 months until sports should be resumed.

While most people heal completely from a patellar tendon surgery, there can be long-term weakness even with a successful repair. Athletes who are attempting to return to competitive sports may take a year or longer to return to their preinjury level of function. Performing guided physical therapy can be helpful to ensure athletes are able to resume their normal sports activities.

Source:

Matava MJ. "Patellar Tendon Ruptures." J Am Acad Orthop Surg vol. 4 no. 6 287-296.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Fyi...Again, I am truly hoping that Anton is fully recovered and has no deficit relating to either this injury or his probable rustiness.  But I am in the camp that will not count on his contribution, but will truly appreciate and cheer any and all contributions he can provide. 

Recovery and Prognosis

Recovering from a torn patellar tendon is difficult and takes time. One of the most important prognostic factors for recovery is the time to surgery, and surgery delayed beyond a few weeks can limit recovery ability. It is known that early mobility after surgery, protected strengthening, and preventing excessive stress on the repair will speed overall recovery. Even with these steps, there is a minimum of 3 months until return of normal daily activities, and 4-6 months until sports should be resumed.

While most people heal completely from a patellar tendon surgery, there can be long-term weakness even with a successful repair. Athletes who are attempting to return to competitive sports may take a year or longer to return to their preinjury level of function. Performing guided physical therapy can be helpful to ensure athletes are able to resume their normal sports activities.

Source:

Matava MJ. "Patellar Tendon Ruptures." J Am Acad Orthop Surg vol. 4 no. 6 287-296.

Article at the time said 6-8 months recovery, don't know if that means resuming sports like stated above, or total recovery.  Either way, Gill is approaching 9 months. Hopefully that is a cautious approach because of his history with knee injuries and because we haven't started practice yet.   

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/husker-guard-anton-gill-has-ruptured-tendon-will-miss-rest/article_171b1a9a-cc69-11e6-abf6-7f33a81d7a54.html

My daughter did this to both knees. She was never the same after the first surgery speedwise and had to quit soccer / basketball after the second. They do not think she will ever get 100% again but she had some additional issues in there that Gill might not. Just saying it is no certainty even a successful surgery gets him back to what he once was.

20 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

Y'know, I'd love to see him rebound from this injury and return to the form he exhibited in his first open scrimmage here where he just torched the nets to the tune of around 30 points and everyone (everyone meaning me) thought he and White were the two best players on the floor.  If we get that Anton back, we'll really be in business.

But I'll just chill on that idea until I see what happens because I'm sure not going to expect that he recovers that well.  But if he does, it'd be awesome.  He inhabits the one spot that we feel the least confident about who might start there.

4 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Man, I hope Gill is ready to rock 'n roll. Imagine if Anton Gill cracks the rotation this year & produces at a decent rate, I think this team will have a bounty of guards to go with legit forwards/center. That will be a good Big Ten team's depth chart. I'm ready for this year to get underway! GBR

Our players have chips on their shoulders? Seems like that would affect their shooting ability,