Serious question ...

Norm Peterson

With Copeland eligible all season, and barring key injuries, how can we not be better this year than last?

’16-’17               ’17-‘18

Watson, So.           Watson, Jr.

Webster, Sr.          Palmer, Jr.

Taylor, Jr.           Roby, So.

Jacobson, So.         Copeland, Jr.

Morrow, So.           Tshimanga, So.

McVeigh, So.          McVeigh, Jr.

Roby, Fr.             Taylor, Sr.

Horne, Fr.            Allen, Fr.

Tshimanga, Fr.        Akenten, Fr.

Fuller, Jr.           Okeke, Sr.

Gill, Jr.             Gill, Sr.

I'd take this year's starters over last year's at every position except SG (Tai over either Palmer or Taylor.)

And this year's bench is significantly better than last.  In my opinion anyway.

And we don't have a meat-grinder non-con (tough but not brutal like last year).

And we have a reasonably favorable conference schedule.

Not saying I'm getting out my dancing shoes, but I do want to make sure I know where the polish is at.

Edited by Norm Peterson

This year is about getting buckets! I feel like the last few years we've felt good about getting buckets for sure from one person and maybe not quite as confident in getting consistent points from another couple players. The rest of the team was kind of a liability or super streaky. From the early signs, it looks like this team has a lot more offensive firepower from a variety of places on the floor. If that's the case and we can sure up our parameter defense then the ceiling is the roof. But it's all about buckets

IMG_2363.JPG

Edited by rwhiston

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

With Copeland eligible all season, and barring key injuries, how can we not be better this year than last?

’16-’17               ’17-‘18

Watson, So.      <     Watson, Jr.

Webster, Sr.     >     Palmer, Jr.

Taylor, Jr.      <     Roby, So.

Jacobson, So.    <     Copeland, Jr.

Morrow, So.      <     Tshimanga, So.

McVeigh, So.     <     McVeigh, Jr.

Roby, Fr.        <     Taylor, Sr.

Horne, Fr.       <     Allen, Fr.

Tshimanga, Fr.   <     Okeke, Sr.

Fuller, Jr.      <     Akenten, Fr. 

Gill, Jr.        <     Gill, Sr.

Head-to-head, there's only one spot where I'd say last year had a better player.  (Obviously, I'm anticipating some improvement from Roby such that he leapfrogs Taylor.)

9 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Id love it if they held an open practice or something soon.

It would come at a cost.  They can't hold the open practice at the practice facility.  There wouldn't be room.  So you would have to move it to a local high school or other facility that has a court and viewing capacity. 

Logistics and costs likely will limit our view of this team to perhaps a midnight madness type event OR (like last year) one open practice at about the time practice officially starts.

34 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

It would come at a cost.  They can't hold the open practice at the practice facility.  There wouldn't be room.  So you would have to move it to a local high school or other facility that has a court and viewing capacity. 

Logistics and costs likely will limit our view of this team to perhaps a midnight madness type event OR (like last year) one open practice at about the time practice officially starts.

They have done one at PBA in the past with both the men's and women's team having a scrimmage.

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'd take this year's starters over last year's at every position except SG (Tai over either Palmer or Taylor.)

And this year's bench is significantly better than last.  In my opinion anyway.

And we don't have a meat-grinder non-con (tough but not brutal like last year).

And we have a reasonably favorable conference schedule.

Not saying I'm getting out my dancing shoes, but I do want to make sure I know where the polish is at.

I don't see Palmer or Taylor starting. 

IMHO, this year we will either dance or be a total bust.  I just don't see this team anywhere in between.  We either gel and the talent shines through in a big way or Miles gets exposed and we have an awful season resulting in his dismissal.  I'm cautiously optimistic it's the former and not the latter.

11 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Agree,  we better be better than last year or its gonna be a long year again.....

Let me put it this way.  Last year, the W/L record was worse than the team was.  The team was better than their final record would suggest.  They were just in a total funk the last half of conference play and one guy in particular with a hidden agenda -- I won't say sabotaged -- certainly undercut the team's potential for success.  The players weren't all on the same page. 

I'm not talking about last year's record because I think the quality of the team we had last year was an over .500 caliber team.  I'm talking the team that beat Dayton, took Clemson to the wire, beat Indiana and Maryland on the road.  That team.

I think that team was better than their record and I think this team will be better than that team should have been.  How's that?

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Let me put it this way.  Last year, the W/L record was worse than the team was.  The team was better than their final record would suggest.  They were just in a total funk the last half of conference play and one guy in particular with a hidden agenda -- I won't say sabotaged -- certainly undercut the team's potential for success.  The players weren't all on the same page. 

I'm not talking about last year's record because I think the quality of the team we had last year was an over .500 caliber team.  I'm talking the team that beat Dayton, took Clemson to the wire, beat Indiana and Maryland on the road.  That team.

I think that team was better than their record and I think this team will be better than that team should have been.  How's that?

I think we've been better than what our record shows the past three years (maybe you exclude 15-16). But thats a trend imo, regularly underperforming. Now im a big Tim Miles fan so i chalk it up to injuries and back breaking departures.

-2014-15: lack of post presence --> injuries to Leslee Smith and Moses Abraham had us relying on Walt (whose commitment and motivation was very hit and miss), Shavon, and Rivers to man our front court for chunks of the season.

-2015-16: like i said this year could be excluded from the underperforming years bc of all the freshmen we were relying on. But once again, Shavon's concussion came at a time when i thought we were peaking and meshing well as a team.

-2016-17: preseason injuries hit us hard with Gill and Roby missing significant time. Those two were both reinjured to different severities during the season. Ed's foot problem flared up again. And we ended the season on another downward spiral.

Now this season seems to be trending in the right direction with the late addition of Thomas Allen and the Isaac Copeland ruling going our way. Schedule sets up nice for some quality wins and a big finish. My hope is Miles has gotten all of his bad breaks out of the way and this season we shine. And we shine very very bright.

6 minutes ago, khoock said:

I think we've been better than what our record shows the past three years (maybe you exclude 15-16). But thats a trend imo, regularly underperforming. Now im a big Tim Miles fan so i chalk it up to injuries and back breaking departures.

-2014-15: lack of post presence --> injuries to Leslee Smith and Moses Abraham had us relying on Walt (whose commitment and motivation was very hit and miss), Shavon, and Rivers to man our front court for chunks of the season.

-2015-16: like i said this year could be excluded from the underperforming years bc of all the freshmen we were relying on. But once again, Shavon's concussion came at a time when i thought we were peaking and meshing well as a team.

-2016-17: preseason injuries hit us hard with Gill and Roby missing significant time. Those two were both reinjured to different severities during the season. Ed's foot problem flared up again. And we ended the season on another downward spiral.

Now this season seems to be trending in the right direction with the late addition of Thomas Allen and the Isaac Copeland ruling going our way. Schedule sets up nice for some quality wins and a big finish. My hope is Miles has gotten all of his bad breaks out of the way and this season we shine. And we shine very very bright.

So, '14-'15, you're saying we had a major hole in our lineup?  I agree.  You almost have to go back to last century to find a Nebraska basketball roster that had legit players at every spot on the floor.  I think I did a thread about this not long ago.

Also, '16'17, in addition to the injuries you mentioned, don't forget we lost Andrew White in June.  He'd have made a huge difference for the team last year.

As far as it being a "trend" I would say I can't call three years a trend when the middle of those three years was one you might exclude from the list of "underperforming years."

The other two were definitely disappointments in which we hoped for better.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, '14-'15, you're saying we had a major hole in our lineup?  I agree.  You almost have to go back to last century to find a Nebraska basketball roster that had legit players at every spot on the floor.  I think I did a thread about this not long ago.

Also, '16'17, in addition to the injuries you mentioned, don't forget we lost Andrew White in June.  He'd have made a huge difference for the team last year.

As far as it being a "trend" I would say I can't call three years a trend when the middle of those three years was one you might exclude from the list of "underperforming years."

The other two were definitely disappointments in which we hoped for better.

I was hoping back breaking departures covered AW3 transfer, Petteway draft decision, and Walt retiring.

2 hours ago, Buglem said:

IMHO, this year we will either dance or be a total bust.  I just don't see this team anywhere in between.  We either gel and the talent shines through in a big way or Miles gets exposed and we have an awful season resulting in his dismissal.  I'm cautiously optimistic it's the former and not the latter.

I'd bet on the in between.  There's a ton of talent across the board in the B1G.  So even though our roster has improved, we're still going to be the second most talented team on the floor in a lot of conference games.  NIT seems like the most likely result for the year, but obviously we'd all be ecstatic to make The Dance.