Serious question ...

Norm Peterson

with the difficulty of our non-con and youth and transfers coming in I think that NIT should be a pretty decent outcome for the season.  However there is going to be a pretty small window for us to get there.  16 wins will get us to .500 and probably the NIT.  19 with our SOS should be enough to get us squarely on the bubble if not solidly in the NCAA.

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

with the difficulty of our non-con and youth and transfers coming in I think that NIT should be a pretty decent outcome for the season.  However there is going to be a pretty small window for us to get there.  16 wins will get us to .500 and probably the NIT.  19 with our SOS should be enough to get us squarely on the bubble if not solidly in the NCAA.

Ive kinda been thinking 18-13 (9-9) plus however we fare in the Big Ten tourney. Good performance there would get us in. Poor showing sends us to the NIT.

10 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I think the Big 10 is going to be better this year also.  A lot deeper from Michigan st all the way to Rutgers. 

Well, that better be reflected in our conference RPI. 

There are some good schools with good players ahead of us in the league that we're going to have to leapfrog.  This is as talented and deep of a team as Miles has ever had here.  I think that's about as close to an objective statement as you can get.  The only question is whether we have that one guy who can just take over a game, get buckets when we have to have them so that we don't go on long scoring droughts, and make the other guys in the offense better.

We had a guy like that in Petteway.  For whatever his shortcomings (and he had them) his ability to create his own shot and get buckets when we had to have them was unmatched in modern Husker history.  And he delivered us an NCAA tourney ticket.

If we have a guy who can do that, we have a chance for a run of historic proportions because we have the supporting cast to be sure.

6 hours ago, kldm64 said:

They have done one at PBA in the past with both the men's and women's team having a scrimmage.

Correct, that is what I was attempting to reference.  We will likely see them once prior to the first exhibition game.  It will either be a midnight madness event or some other planned event such as what was held last year. 

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, that better be reflected in our conference RPI. 

There are some good schools with good players ahead of us in the league that we're going to have to leapfrog.  This is as talented and deep of a team as Miles has ever had here.  I think that's about as close to an objective statement as you can get.  The only question is whether we have that one guy who can just take over a game, get buckets when we have to have them so that we don't go on long scoring droughts, and make the other guys in the offense better.

We had a guy like that in Petteway.  For whatever his shortcomings (and he had them) his ability to create his own shot and get buckets when we had to have them was unmatched in modern Husker history.  And he delivered us an NCAA tourney ticket.

If we have a guy who can do that, we have a chance for a run of historic proportions because we have the supporting cast to be sure.

It seems like Glynn is the only one who fits that description. I like Copeland a lot, but I doubt he can take over a game and make sure we don't have scoring droughts. I don't know that you could expect that out of anybody else on the roster.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

It seems like Glynn is the only one who fits that description. I like Copeland a lot, but I doubt he can take over a game and make sure we don't have scoring droughts. I don't know that you could expect that out of anybody else on the roster.

I don't think we know the answer to that yet. I think there are a handful of guys that have that potential. Glynn is the only one that we have seen do it at NU.

We should be better this year than last.  What mostly hurt us last year was unbelievable opponent three-point shooting, a really tough non-con, a couple of stupid bad breaks, poor three-point shooting, and losing our top returning scorer.  

Will opponents shoot the three like they did last year?  Not likely.  I can't see it happening again that bad.  

Non-con?  Still formidable, but not as tough.

Bad breaks?  We'll see.  

Three-point shooting?  I think we've addressed that.  Should be better.

Losing our top scorer?  Well we lost Webster to graduation, but we need some of the new players to step in and replenish the scoring.  

But here's my problem.  From last year's team we lose Webster, Morrow, Jacobson, Horne, and Fuller.  They are replaced with Copeland, Palmer, Allen, Akenten, and Okeke.  In an "on paper" world, it looks like we are bringing in a better five.  But this reminds me of an earlier thread where Norm asked when was the last time we had a legit lineup going into next season.  I've been excited about lineups going into the next seasons for the past few years now, and this year's no exception.  But just take last year.  Even with us losing White, I thought we'd be really good because we had a true center, a solid core of sophomores, and new players like Tshimanga, Anton Gill, Roby, Horne.   But Gill really struggled.  I assumed he'd take up the transfer baton of Petteway and White before him.  Roby showed flashes of greatness, but overall he played like a freshman.  Very up and down.  Same with Horne, only worse on defense.  Tshimanga showed some promise, still had a long way to go.  

So what player expectations will not be met this year?  I don't know, but it seems I'm always full of hope and excitement before the season starts, then reality sets in by way of how they actually play.  Naturally it's too soon to know whether this team will be better than last year.  It should be.  But this year I can't bring myself to be too excited until I see how guys like Copeland and Allen and Palmer play.  I just can't wait for the season to start so I can know.  

7 hours ago, hal9000 said:

So what player expectations will not be met this year?  I don't know, but it seems I'm always full of hope and excitement before the season starts, then reality sets in by way of how they actually play.  Naturally it's too soon to know whether this team will be better than last year.  It should be.  But this year I can't bring myself to be too excited until I see how guys like Copeland and Allen and Palmer play.  I just can't wait for the season to start so I can know.  

I can't wait either. Very excited by the roster potential, very concerned that so few of these guys have played together. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I can't wait either. Very excited by the roster potential, very concerned that so few of these guys have played together. 

Fair concern. Mitigated somewhat by the fact Palmer has been practicing with the team for a year. And while Copeland has been rehabbing, he's been getting mental reps with the team for the last 9 months.  It's not like a juco kid attempting to assimilate in 3 months.

In a way, Ed's injury was also a bit of a blessing because it gave Jordy some starts and a lot more minutes, and gave players around him a chance to play with him in the lineup.

So, actually, 5 of the top 8 have a season or more of playing with each other and two more of the top 8 have been around the program more than a season.

I still think it's largely going to come down whether or not we have a team that can rebound the basketball.  Last year we missed 128 more shots than our opponents, and yet still outrebounded the opposition by 63 boards.  That's pretty impressive, when you consider that NCAA-wide the offensive/defensive rebounding split was around 28%/72%.  Morrow and Jacobson were tireless on the boards.  Tai was a strong rebounder for a guy playing as a combo guard.  Those three guys are gone.  My fear is that we will be a significantly improved offensive team, but with a similar record due to no longer having an advantage on the glass.

10 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I still think it's largely going to come down whether or not we have a team that can rebound the basketball.  Last year we missed 128 more shots than our opponents, and yet still outrebounded the opposition by 63 boards.  That's pretty impressive, when you consider that NCAA-wide the offensive/defensive rebounding split was around 28%/72%.  Morrow and Jacobson were tireless on the boards.  Tai was a strong rebounder for a guy playing as a combo guard.  Those three guys are gone.  My fear is that we will be a significantly improved offensive team, but with a similar record due to no longer having an advantage on the glass.

Interesting info and analysis, aphil.

Here is some more data from last season

--Morrow played 562 minutes and had 180 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.12 minutes.

--Jacobson played 743 minutes and had 192 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.87 minutes.

--Jordy played 389 minutes and had 123 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.16 minutes.

--Tai played 1075 minutes and had 158 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 6.80 minutes.

Okeke at Winthrop for career: 1398 minutes and 355 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.9 minutes.

But, for career, Okeke blocked a shot ever 9.8 minutes.  Last year Morrow and Jacobson had 1 block for every 20.8 and 27.5 minutes, respectively.  Jordy had a block every 25.93 minutes.

Edited by Swan88

20 hours ago, Swan88 said:

--Morrow played 562 minutes and had 180 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.12 minutes.

--Jacobson played 743 minutes and had 192 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.87 minutes.

--Jordy played 389 minutes and had 123 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.16 minutes.

--Tai played 1075 minutes and had 158 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 6.80 minutes.

Okeke at Winthrop for career: 1398 minutes and 355 rebounds, for 1 rebound every 3.9 minutes.

But, for career, Okeke blocked a shot ever 9.8 minutes.  Last year Morrow and Jacobson had 1 block for every 20.8 and 27.5 minutes, respectively.  Jordy had a block every 25.93 minutes.

It's hard to get shot block opportunities, though, when the opposition is raining down 3's all game.

20 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Rebounding is also a concern for me with this squad.

Jordy and Okeke probably won't play together so they basically spell one of Morrow or Jacobson.

Might we play Roby and Copeland together and can that equate to a post from lat year and Tai?