who will be the starting 2 guard on opening night?

FredsSlacks

who will be the starting 2 guard on opening night?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. who will be the starting 2 guard on opening night?

• Evan Taylor
    • James Palmer
    • Thomas Allen
    • Other-Nana,Jack,Gill,Thorir

If you held a gun to my head and made me give an answer, I think the most likely scenario based on everything we know would be ET starting the first game.

Ā 

But that's just a guess and not a firm one.Ā  Lots of things could happen.

Ā 

One thing I do feel comfortable with is that regardless who starts, I think our bench can score some points.

If there was a way to change my vote, I think I would do so.

Ā 

After looking at that starting lineup, we have a PG who's a pretty good threat from beyond the arc, but he'll be distributing.Ā  Copeland could be good, but we don't know for sure.Ā  He was under 30% his sophomore year but almost 40% his freshman year.Ā  Roby was about 20% as a freshman and I'm certain he'll be better this year, but how much?

Ā 

Miles has said Taylor is never going to be a great shooter.Ā  And I don't know what we have with Palmer.Ā  I think he could be OK from long range, but his stats at Miami don't really give you a strong sense that he'll be a good shooter.

Ā 

If Copeland and Palmer just shoot their career averages, then Palmer is a 33% shooter and Copeland would be about 29%.Ā  Now, I think both will be better than that.Ā  And I've guessed low to mid 30s for both.Ā  But I think we need another 3-point threat in the starting lineup.

Ā 

Is that guy Jack McVeigh?Ā  Or maybe it's Thomas Allen.

Ā 

Either way, I don't think we can start Evan Taylor in a lineup that only has 1 solid 3-point threat.

Ā 

I think Taylor is a very serviceable point guard if Miles makes up his mind that's what Taylor is. Ā He takes care of the ball, has great size, can get to the lane, and is a very good defender. Ā Otherwise, it's going to have to be Allen, which I think would be a waste of a skilled scorer. Ā 

Ā 

Taylor's offense is ineffective on the wing for the most part because he's not a consistent shooter, but his defense has always been very good. Ā I think he could do some damage as an aggressive PG off the bench and a utility sub for 2 and 3. Ā He doesn't need to be a starter to log starter minutes. Ā 

Ā 

I think Allen gets the nod at the 2 with a short leash for Palmer. Ā It'll depend on matchups though. Ā Very different athletic types. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by LK1

I think Taylor starts the first game because of his experience and for the fact that he probably wont make any huge mistakes. I don't think he will start many games but I could see him in there for the first couple. I also think someone comes off the bench pretty quickly to take his place.

58 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I believe Taylor defends, rebounds and is a glue guy for the team. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I believe TaylorĀ would beĀ a quality backup forĀ a good team. He does not start for a good team.Ā  He might start for a decent team, but not a good one.Ā  His 3-pt% for a shooting guard just isn't where it needs to be.Ā  As a backup?Ā  Sure.Ā  Not a starter.Ā  And, as a backup, he's all those things you say.

Ā 

Never seen James Palmer play any sort of extended minutes.Ā  We got Evan late on the recruiting trail basically when all else had failed and it turned out he wasn't bad at all.Ā  Better pickup for us at that stage of recruiting than we could really have hoped for and far better than most of us expected.Ā  Having said that, if James Palmer, who has been on the team just as long, can't beat out Evan Taylor, then, in all probability, he's not going to be ahead of one or the other of the freshmen, either.Ā  Logic tells me that, in all probability, Palmer is either good enough to start over Evan Taylor or he's not good enough to beat out Thomas Allen to be Taylor's immediate backup.

Ā 

If Thomas Allen is as good as advertised, he should be able to challenge Evan Taylor, if not from day 1 then by the end of the non-con portion of the schedule.Ā  I just think Palmer is either going to be ahead of everyone or he's going to be behind everyone because I just can't imagine that a guy with Taylor's pedigree is going to be that far ahead of Thomas Allen (or thatĀ a guy with Allen's pedigree is going to be that far behind Taylor.)Ā  Unless Allen is just altogether better than Taylor, the gap between them is probably small enough that Palmer doesn't squeeze in between. Hope I explained that clearly enough that it makes sense.

Ā 

And there's worse things, by the way,Ā than having a defending, rebounding, glue guy coming in off the bench with a couple of shooters to keep things rolling when the starters get a blow.

The more I think about this, the more I think the best rotation is for Taylor toĀ sub in for Watson at the point.Ā  Taylor has PG skills moreso than SG skills.Ā  He's a good ball handler who can penetrate and distribute (to all these young shooters we'll have coming off the bench.)Ā  I just don't think we can have a starting 2 guard who only shoots ~25% from 3pt range.

I believe Allen is being trained as the back-up point guard. I don't understand the thought of his offense "being wasted" at the PG spot. Having a dynamic player at point guard is great for an offense. It certainly hasn't hurt Glynn Watson. The guy playing point doesn't have the ball in his hands 100% of the time; you can still run that guy off some screens in the halfcourt.

Ā 

The problem with Taylor at point guard is that while he doesn't make many mistakes (which I'd actually argue against; he had the same number of turnovers as assists last year) defenses don't have to worry about him much. If he tries to run a P&R, they're just going to go under. At the 2 or the 3, they don't have to respect his shot either but he can at least be a cutter, and he showed a bit of ability to attack close-outs off spot-ups for a mid-range pull-up last season.

Ā 

Taylor is going to be an offensive liability no matter which position he plays, which is why I think it will be better for Nebraska if Palmer can take minutes from him. Taylor is solid defensively but I don't think he's all-conference by any means. If he's playing significant minutes when conference play rolls around, Nebraska's ceiling is significantly lowered in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I believe Allen is being trained as the back-up point guard. I don't understand the thought of his offense "being wasted" at the PG spot. Having a dynamic player at point guard is great for an offense. It certainly hasn't hurt Glynn Watson. The guy playing point doesn't have the ball in his hands 100% of the time; you can still run that guy off some screens in the halfcourt.

Ā 

The problem with Taylor at point guard is that while he doesn't make many mistakes (which I'd actually argue against; he had the same number of turnovers as assists last year) defenses don't have to worry about him much. If he tries to run a P&R, they're just going to go under. At the 2 or the 3, they don't have to respect his shot either but he can at least be a cutter, and he showed a bit of ability to attack close-outs off spot-ups for a mid-range pull-up last season.

Ā 

Taylor is going to be an offensive liability no matter which position he plays, which is why I think it will be better for Nebraska if Palmer can take minutes from him. Taylor is solid defensively but I don't think he's all-conference by any means. If he's playing significant minutes when conference play rolls around, Nebraska's ceiling is significantly lowered in my opinion.

Ā 

Agree with this a lot. I also think Allen was told he will get time at the point. For a smaller guard if he wants to keep playing he needs to develop his PG skills so I think he will get some minutes there. I like Taylor as a catch all who can guard 1-3 and hopefully get minutes as needed, ideally GW, Palmer, and Allen get most of the minutes and he fills in where needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 3:26 PM, Norm Peterson said:

If there was a way to change my vote, I think I would do so.

Ā 

After looking at that starting lineup, we have a PG who's a pretty good threat from beyond the arc, but he'll be distributing.Ā  Copeland could be good, but we don't know for sure.Ā  He was under 30% his sophomore year but almost 40% his freshman year.Ā  Roby was about 20% as a freshman and I'm certain he'll be better this year, but how much?

Ā 

Miles has said Taylor is never going to be a great shooter.Ā  And I don't knomilesism?w what we have with Palmer.Ā  I think he could be OK from long range, but his stats at Miami don't really give you a strong sense that he'll be a good shooter.

Ā 

If Copeland and Palmer just shoot their career averages, then Palmer is a 33% shooter and Copeland would be about 29%.Ā  Now, I think both will be better than that.Ā  And I've guessed low to mid 30s for both.Ā  But I think we need another 3-point threat in the starting lineup.

Ā 

Is that guy Jack McVeigh?Ā  Or maybe it's Thomas Allen.

Ā 

Either way, I don't think we can start Evan Taylor in a lineup that only has 1 solid 3-point threat.

Ā 

Ā 

We don't need shooters, we need scorers. I forget was that a Sadlerism or a Milesism?