Copeland

nustudent

1 hour ago, BigTate said:

OK so, "destroy" may have been a bit too strong of a word but i still think we can beat Creighton this year. There was a time when I was a Husker fan first and a Creighton fan second. That changed a few years ago when I was at the game in Omaha and one of the Blue Jay players who's name I can't recall right now jumped on Terran Pettaway when he was down on the court and then gave him a pretty severe elbow to the face. That player then got up and gave a little wink to Greg McDermott. Pretty dirty play! I am sure many on this board will remember that. He was a 6th year senior or something like that and I lost a lot of respect for McDermott and the blue jays that day! 

Destroy? Maybe not, but I am predicting a win for the Huskers in Omaha this year! 

You know I want to agree with soooo bad, because we look real good on paper right now!  I am a guy that has lost multiple bets because of feeling like Nebraska was going to beat Creighton.  This year we are as athletic and complete as we have ever been since I can remember.  Will this team match or surpass the teams of the 90's, in my opinion it is definitely possible. 

Since this thread it is about Copeland I will start with him

Copeland - He has NBA potential.  He was a 5* prospect out of high school.  He looks to be a mismatch for a lot of teams.  I believe he is half the reason why Morrow and Jacobson left the program.  The problem is until we see him play a game at Nebraska it is all talk right now.  Also from his Georgetown stats he is a streaky player, we need consistency.

Watson - He is the one proven commodity on this team right now.  We know we have a player in him, but like all players he needs to work on his distribution a bit more.  We have multiple weapons right now and I think he knows it.  I see his APG going up to 4 to 5, because what he has around him this year.

Roby - He is the player I personally am most excited about.   Like Copeland he has NBA potential, and a skill set that most players only dream about at 6'8.  With strength comes confidence. and from the looks of it he has bulked up a LOT.  That said bulking up does not improve your shot, and that is what I believe Roby lacked as a freshman.  If Roby finds his shot he will only be at Nebraska for a short time in my opinion, which is a good thing

Tshimanga - We have found our 1st true post since Maric.  It was a small sample size, but he showed a lot of potential after Morrow went down.  The other half of the reason why Morrow and Jacobson left the program.  Copeland took their starting spot at the 4, and they were going to play a majority of their time as a back up 5 to Jordy.  The sky is the limit for Jordy, and I love his potential as well.

The 4 I listed above  will be our core players in my opinion. The rest will be contributors, but at this moment in time role players

Palmer - Possibly the starting 2, but he is currently a mystery.  My prediction is if he is a good shooter he will get the nod over Taylor and Allen.  If anyone know more about Palmer, please let me know

Taylor - I know he does not want to be this, but he is the Peltz of this years team.  Except with a lot more game.  His shooting will need to be WAY better to get the majority of the minutes at the 2.

Allen - The only knock I have on the kid is that a True Freshman can only do so much.  He will get his minutes, because even though he is a freshman, he is the best pure shooter on the team.  I see him gradually moving into a starting role if his shots do indeed fall

McVeigh - He is a tweener, but and ideal sub for both Copeland and Roby.  He lacks the athleticism, but can score down low and from the outside.  

Okeke - Provides a solid presence at the 5 if Jordy runs into foul trouble, he will be looked at for contributing more on the defensive front and rebounding

The rest of our team all have the potential to get minutes, but I see them falling short. 

Gill -  I want him to be the player we all thought he could be when he was recruited.  His athletic ability was off the charts in High School, and injuries have caused him to regress.  I would love for him to shock us all and make us 10 deep with threats

Nana - Unless he is lights out, he will be red shirting.  With Palmer/Allen/Taylor/Gill I am not seeing where his minutes are.  He also could be a freshman phenom that Miles is keeping a secret.  He was a damn good high school player

Thor - If he gets minutes we are in trouble.  Read Nana, but to a lesser extent.

Borchardt - He may get foul trouble minutes, but I don't see many for him.  It is always good to have another big man

The rest will see blow out minutes, but that is it

Edited by big red22

33 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

The only time we've won at the CLINK it was the QWEST and it was a Barry Collier led NIT team.  At this point I'd believe that MacD's team beat Miles in the 3 legged race at the last Miles family reunion. Simply winning in any sort of fashion would qualify as destroy at this point. Adding Copeland and having three games prior against BC, MSU, and Minny certainly helps I think but boy let's play the first 5 minutes without needing to change our underwear and go from there.

Boy are you spot on here!

21 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Allen - The only knock I have on the kid is that a True Freshman can only do so much.  He will get his minutes, because even though he is a freshman, he is the best pure shooter on the team.  I see him gradually moving into a starting role if his shots do indeed fall

Not sure how you can make statements like that considering he hasn't played 1 minute of college basketball yet for this team.

35 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Not sure how you can make statements like that considering he hasn't played 1 minute of college basketball yet for this team.

Simple... the kids form is pure, and you don't go 115  for 239 if you aren't good at it.

Edit: To add to this as a team last year we were 179 for 560(32%)...  and our best shooter Glynn Watson was 48 for 121(39.7% 

So we can get a good idea of how good Allen really is, by using the 239 total to get around the same average

Watson would of been 95 for 239 (39.7%) = 20 less makes

Our team as a whole  77 for 239(32.2%) = 38 less makes 

Edit 2:  If our team shot at a 48.2% like Allen did in high school we would of been 270 for 560

91 more 3's = 273 points

273 points in 31 games would have increased our point total by 8.8 points per game

Point totals last year

US = 69.9 ppg

THEM = 73.0 ppg

Shoot at Allen's rate

US = 78.7

THEM = 73.0

So the moral of the story is... If a kid can shoot he can shoot, and it doesn't matter what level you play at

Edited by big red22

I think you are all severely underestimating just how loaded Creighton is - Norm was right, they will probably challenge for their league title once again and very well could start the season ranked (or at least among teams getting votes).

KenPom had them ranked #28 at the end of last year despite them playing most of their league games without their starting PG.  This year they return most everyone and have their stud PG transfer from Syracuse coming eligible plus Foster, Thomas, Harrel and that Epperson kid from La Lumiere who would appear to be Justin Patton mk. 2

Guys, this is a team that will be a home win vs Villanova away from the league title.  Mark it down.

Plus add to it that we have nothing but Glynn Watson and a bunch of question marks going into the season and add to THAT the pure fact that McDermott has never lost to Tim Miles AND the game is in Omaha I don't know how any of you can even entertain the notion that we may have a shot here.

This is a 20 point loss every day of the week.  Keep it under that and we should consider that progress.

45 minutes ago, big red22 said:

[snipped]

The rest of our team all have the potential to get minutes, but I see them falling short. 

Gill -  I want him to be the player we all thought he could be when he was recruited.  His athletic ability was off the charts in High School, and injuries have caused him to regress.  I would love for him to shock us all and make us 10 deep with threats

Nana - Unless he is lights out, he will be red shirting.  With Palmer/Allen/Taylor/Gill I am not seeing where his minutes are.  He also could be a freshman phenom that Miles is keeping a secret.  He was a damn good high school player

Thor - If he gets minutes we are in trouble.  Read Nana, but to a lesser extent.

Borchardt - He may get foul trouble minutes, but I don't see many for him.  It is always good to have another big man

The rest will see blow out minutes, but that is it.

big red22, I think you might be selling a couple of these guys short.

Thor should probably redshirt, but not because he wasn't a good prospect.  He needs a year in our strength and nutrition program while he develops his long-range shooting consistency and gets adjusted to the American game.  He does some things well enough that he should be a contributor down the road.  If he gets minutes this year, it'll be because he's a lot better now than we gave him credit for.

And Borchardt is better than a lot of people think.

49 minutes ago, big red22 said:

and our best shooter Glynn Watson was 48 for 121(39.7% 

Watson sucked it up from 3 as a freshman to the tune of 26.7%  Our best 3pt shooter from last year struggled as a freshman.

52 minutes ago, big red22 said:

So the moral of the story is... If a kid can shoot he can shoot, and it doesn't matter what level you play at

It matters. Move up a level and guys are faster and bigger.  It's possible that Allen is the best "pure shooter" on the team and ends up shooting 32% from 3 this season.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:27 PM, LK1 said:

Agree, and I think it gets better big picture.  

Glynn/Taylor

Allen/Palmer (slight correction, IMO, but I can't see a shooter that good not starting)

Roby/Nana

Copeland/McVeigh

Jordy/Okeke/Borchardt

Wow.  Copeland makes it all make sense.  That is a terrifying starting 5, and a super deep bench (I think there'd be practices where that bench beats the starters).  We're at least 10ppg better than last season, and that's a conservative estimate.  

Let em loose, TM and co.  This is tournament talent.  

It's fine to be excited about a guy like Allen, but you really can't see a guy who was a fringe top-100 player not starting? We have no idea what Nebraska is going to get out of him this season. Watson was a higher-rated recruit and he didn't start until the last game of the non-conference season (following the loss to Samford), then started 16 games, then moved back to the bench for the last six games. Shooting is really important, especially on this team, but there is a lot more to basketball than just the ability to shoot.

And big red22, that isn't necessarily true. Hitting shots against high school defense and hitting them against Big Ten level athletes are two very different things. If I had to project which of these guys would be the best shooter long-term, I'd take Allen. But it seems like a bit much to expect that from him right away. 

Edited by Jacob Padilla

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

he's a top 150 recruit that is athletic and can shoot 3s. 0% chance of redshirting.

Guys, I like Nana a lot! I just don't know where is his minutes comiing from?  Gill? Taylor? Palmer? Is he going to play the 3 and sneak a few minutes in there?  If he is only getting 3-5 minutes a game, I think a red shirt is best.

I think he is a better overall player then Taylor, but we all know Taylor is getting a lot of minutes this year

5 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

It's fine to be excited about a guy like Allen, but you really can't see a guy who was a fringe top-100 player not starting? We have no idea what Nebraska is going to get out of him this season. Watson was a higher-rated recruit and he didn't start until the last game of the non-conference season (following the loss to Samford), then started 16 games, then moved back to the bench for the last six games. Shooting is really important, especially on this team, but there is a lot more to basketball than just the ability to shoot.

And big red22, that isn't necessarily true. Hitting shots against high school defense and hitting them against Big Ten level athletes are two very different things. If I had to project which of these guys would be the best shooter long-term, I'd take Allen. But it seems like a bit much to expect that from him right away. 

No way am I expecting him to shoot 48%, but he is still the best "pure shooter" on the team, which is what was in question

This is form a post I made on another message board on how I see the rotation 

I think the most dynamic line up would be

Watson
Palmer
Roby
Copeland
Tshimanga

Subs for Watson

Sub 1 = Allen
Sub 2 = Taylor
Sub 3 = Gill only if we are in foul trouble

Subs for Palmer

Sub 1 = Taylor
Sub 2 = Gill
Sub 3 = Allen

Subs for Roby

Sub 1 = McVeigh
Sub 2 = Palmer
Sub 3 = Copeland
Sub 4 = Taylor for small line ups only

Subs for Copeland

Sub 1 = Roby
Sub 2 = Mcveigh
Sub 3 = Okeke

Subs for Jordy

Sub 1 = Okeke
Sub 2 = Borchardt
Sub 3 = Roby/Copeland combo

Where does Nana fit here guys?  I just don't see a lot of minutes for him this year

Edited by big red22

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

The only time we've won at the CLINK it was the QWEST and it was a Barry Collier led NIT team.  At this point I'd believe that MacD's team beat Miles in the 3 legged race at the last Miles family reunion. Simply winning in any sort of fashion would qualify as destroy at this point. Adding Copeland and having three games prior against BC, MSU, and Minny certainly helps I think but boy let's play the first 5 minutes without needing to change our underwear and go from there.

Our schedule after North Texas is full of good teams.  St John's is better than BC, UCF won 20+ and has a center that is like 12'2", if we get West Virginia they'll be really tough, North Dakota was a tournament team last year.  We'll have plenty of tests against quality teams before we play that team from Omaha.

10 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Subs for Watson

Sub 1 = Allen
Sub 2 = Taylor

With more potential outside threats on the team (Allen, Palmer, Nana, Copeland) I see Taylor as the top backup for Watson and primarily playing point because of his average or worse shooting from three.  I see Allen barely being asked to play point as a freshman, if ever, with Watson, Taylor and Gill (if healthy) as more experienced guards in front of him.

53 minutes ago, big red22 said:

This is form a post I made on another message board on how I see the rotation 

I think the most dynamic line up would be

Watson
Palmer
Roby
Copeland
Tshimanga

Subs for Watson

Sub 1 = Allen
Sub 2 = Taylor

Subs for Palmer

Sub 1 = Taylor
Sub 2 = Gill
Sub 3 = Allen

Subs for Roby

Sub 1 = McVeigh
Sub 2 = Palmer
Sub 3 = Copeland
Sub 4 = Taylor for small line ups only

Subs for Copeland

Sub 1 = Roby
Sub 2 = Mcveigh
Sub 3 = Okeke

Subs for Jordy

Sub 1 = Okeke
Sub 2 = Borchardt
Sub 3 = Roby/Copeland combo

Where does Nana fit here guys?  I just don't see a lot of minutes for him this year

This is too complicated for me.

I think you just figure on a top 8 or 9 guys, decide who they are, and figure whoever's the most versatile gives himself a shot at more minutes.

Who are your starters?  Who are the next best 3 or 4 (or 5) off the bench?

Nana can play the 2 or the 3.  He's very athletic.  I've heard he likes to play D.  Those attributes could earn him some freshman PT, say 12-16 minutes.

If I've accurately read the tea leaves about Thomas Allen, he's probably more of a 16-20 minute guy.

If they were the freshmen on last year's team, I definitely see them getting minutes.  How many did Jeriah Horne get last year?   If they don't get those kinds of minutes on this year's team, it speaks to an overall increase in talent level, which is a very good problem to have.

Nana, though, at least has a couple of positions he fits into, whereas Jeriah had 2 that he didn't quite fit into (too small for a 4, not quick and explosive enough for a 3.)

Until I see Gill playing, I'm going to have to assume his knee will be an issue.  So, I'm not putting him in the rotation.  That leaves me looking at it like this:

PG Glynn, no brainer

SG Could be Taylor, could be Palmer, could even be Allen

SF I'm thinking Roby but he might be the PF to Copeland's wing

PF Copeland, unless he's a wing and Roby would be the 4.

C Jordy

The next guys off the bench:

Jack

Any two of Taylor, Palmer and Allen depending on who starts

Duby or Tanner (I'm not writing Tanner out of anything yet.)

Nana

That gets us 10 deep on a team that might try to up the tempo this year.

30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

"I think you just figure on a top 8 or 9 guys, decide who they are, and figure whoever's the most versatile gives himself a shot at more minutes."

AND

"PG Glynn, no brainer

SG Could be Taylor, could be Palmer, could even be Allen

SF I'm thinking Roby but he might be the PF to Copeland's wing

PF Copeland, unless he's a wing and Roby would be the 4.

C Jordy

The next guys off the bench:

Jack

Any two of Taylor, Palmer and Allen depending on who starts

Duby or Tanner (I'm not writing Tanner out of anything yet.)

Nana

That gets us 10 deep on a team that might try to up the tempo this year."

So reading these two parts of your response, they kind of contradict each other.  I think if all players were seniors with experience Nana could possibly be in our top 5-6 players.  He is a true freshmen, and he has to battle good veteran basketball players for playing time.  If he is the 11th man according to the second part I highlighted he will not be getting 12-16 minutes a game.  It would more than likely be more like 3-5 minutes.  Not to mention you didn't even mention Gill who is a Sr. guard with some skill

I am interpreting your post that you believe our top 11 are

Glynn 

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

Taylor/Palmer/Allen

Jack

Duby/Tanner

Nana

If not I read how you posted that wrong

Edited by big red22

2 hours ago, big red22 said:

Guys, I like Nana a lot! I just don't know where is his minutes comiing from?  Gill? Taylor? Palmer? Is he going to play the 3 and sneak a few minutes in there?  If he is only getting 3-5 minutes a game, I think a red shirt is best.

I think he is a better overall player then Taylor, but we all know Taylor is getting a lot of minutes this year

he might be the most athletic player on the team and has a great looking shot. i wouldn't rule him out from playing major minutes.

I see Nana as this team's equivalent of Jeriah Horne. He'll be a spot up shooter, and if his shot is going in, he'll stay on the floor. If not, he'll get buried. At least that's how I see it. Just because someone is a great player in high school doesn't make them the same type of player in college. Adjusting to the college game takes time. Some adjust quicker, some take more time to adjust

4 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

I see Nana as this team's equivalent of Jeriah Horne. He'll be a spot up shooter, and if his shot is going in, he'll stay on the floor. If not, he'll get buried. At least that's how I see it. Just because someone is a great player in high school doesn't make them the same type of player in college. Adjusting to the college game takes time. Some adjust quicker, some take more time to adjust

nana is much more athletic, and i'd be surprised if he wasn't a much better defender than horne.