Copeland

nustudent

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Don't get ahead of ourselves, now.  Creighton will probably be ranked to start the year.  Wouldn't be surprised if they're picked to win the Big East.  I'm just hoping we can give them a game.  Get it back to single digits some point in the second half.  Let's see how the first 5 or so games go before we start hoping to compete with them.  Remember, they'll be at home.

Villanova's gonna get the benefit of the doubt in the preseason polls, though Norm.  I mean Jay Wright will get the credit for winning the regular season title 4 years in a row.  I'll be willing to bet they'll edge Creighton out at least in the preseason.

Solid second place choice though this year.

10 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i think we're about even in terms of talent for the upcoming season. they will have a good backcourt with kaleb joseph, marcus foster, and khyri thomas.

I agree their backcourt will be very good. I feel like Hegner is their only option at center tho, other than some D-2 guy they signed for a year. Jordy could have a hay day down low with Hegner guarding him, but Hegner can also extend the defense with his 3-point shot. It'll be a great topic in a couple months no doubt.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Don't get ahead of ourselves, now.  Creighton will probably be ranked to start the year.  Wouldn't be surprised if they're picked to win the Big East.  I'm just hoping we can give them a game.  Get it back to single digits some point in the second half.  Let's see how the first 5 or so games go before we start hoping to compete with them.  Remember, they'll be at home.

Creighton will have to guard him with a smaller guy like Foster, Thomas, or Harrell, or a slower guy like Hegner.  That looks like it should be a pretty big mismatch.

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Creighton will have to guard him with a smaller guy like Foster, Thomas, or Harrell, or a slower guy like Hegner.  That looks like it should be a pretty big mismatch.

I think what will keep it close from our end of things will be in the low post. Counciltucky State doesn't have a post player that has height and muscle too. As long as we can keep them off the three line, we got our best chance in awhile.

#cryjayscry

Ive heard Nick Bahe (obvious Creighton homer) say Kaleb Joseph isnt as good as one might think/hope. Over the summer on his radio show he said he's not the type of impact player at point they were hoping for. Looks like it might be Davion Mintz at PG. 

Obviously things could have and still can change since then. But either way Foster and Thomas will be a very formidable duo. Khyri will be able to extremely limit our first scoring option in the back court. So hopefully our predictions of scoring depth are true.

Should defintely have a big advantage in the post imo.

But like stated earlier, lets not get ahead of ourselves. And i realized i got carried away so feel free to move this to an appropriate thread.

11 hours ago, khoock said:

Ive heard Nick Bahe (obvious Creighton homer) say Kaleb Joseph isnt as good as one might think/hope. Over the summer on his radio show he said he's not the type of impact player at point they were hoping for. Looks like it might be Davion Mintz at PG. 

Man... from what I've seen, Kaleb Joseph is pretty dang good. Surprised me to read that. 

Oh man.  Threw out my back yesterday, and was therefore heavily medicated and asleep most of the day.  Now that I'm awake and perusing the interwebs again, I see this gem of news.  Fantastic!  Remind me again, what city will be attending the Final Four in this year?

17 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This.  Creighton has proved me completely wrong.  I thought they'd fall apart in the Little East, but Coach Mac has been phenomenal there.  Respect is due, and they are not our benchmark this season.  They have a better program than we do, but I think the young talent is in our favor.  Mac has an absolutely awful philosophy on both ends for what TM wants to do, regardless of the talent on the floor.  That's why TM is 0-for against him.  It's like Washington State playing Navy in football or something.  

10 minutes ago, LK1 said:

This.  Creighton has proved me completely wrong.  I thought they'd fall apart in the Little East, but Coach Mac has been phenomenal there.  Respect is due, and they are not our benchmark this season.  They have a better program than we do, but I think the young talent is in our favor.  Mac has an absolutely awful philosophy on both ends for what TM wants to do, regardless of the talent on the floor.  That's why TM is 0-for against him.  It's like Washington State playing Navy in football or something.  

Yeah what do you expect from a soccer school?

On 9/12/2017 at 5:21 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Sooooo, I guess I misread this. I thought the sarcasm was dripping from this post, but others seem to take it seriously. Or are they being sarcastic too?

I am not being sarcastic, or ironic, or sardonic, just clueless.

10 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Sooooo, I guess I misread this. I thought the sarcasm was dripping from this post, but others seem to take it seriously. Or are they being sarcastic too?

I am not being sarcastic, or ironic, or sardonic, just clueless.

I exaggerated slightly to make a point. 

Until we get a game in the win column -- and preferably more than one in a row -- we have no business talking crap or using words like "destroy" in reference to the bluejays.

And you have no idea how hard it was for me to type that sentence.

I hope we destroy them.

I'll still be happy if we beat them.

I'll hang my head in shame if they destroy us.

It sucks being one of only two Nebrasketball fans in an office full of bluejays (the majority of which are JaySkers).

Edited by aphilso1

On 9/12/2017 at 5:33 PM, 49r said:

Villanova's gonna get the benefit of the doubt in the preseason polls, though Norm.  I mean Jay Wright will get the credit for winning the regular season title 4 years in a row.  I'll be willing to bet they'll edge Creighton out at least in the preseason.

Solid second place choice though this year.

I disagree 49er. Respectfully of course. I'm seeing Creighton as a solid 4th or 5th place choice in the Big East. Nova at 1. Xavier 2. And Providence and Seton Hall, both tourney teams, return their starters. Creighton is thin up front and doesn't have a proven PG. They'll be good but they're also beatable. We will give them a good game this year.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:21 PM, Norm Peterson said:

OK so, "destroy" may have been a bit too strong of a word but i still think we can beat Creighton this year. There was a time when I was a Husker fan first and a Creighton fan second. That changed a few years ago when I was at the game in Omaha and one of the Blue Jay players who's name I can't recall right now jumped on Terran Pettaway when he was down on the court and then gave him a pretty severe elbow to the face. That player then got up and gave a little wink to Greg McDermott. Pretty dirty play! I am sure many on this board will remember that. He was a 6th year senior or something like that and I lost a lot of respect for McDermott and the blue jays that day! 

Destroy? Maybe not, but I am predicting a win for the Huskers in Omaha this year! 

36 minutes ago, BigTate said:

OK so, "destroy" may have been a bit too strong of a word but i still think we can beat Creighton this year. There was a time when I was a Husker fan first and a Creighton fan second. That changed a few years ago when I was at the game in Omaha and one of the Blue Jay players who's name I can't recall right now jumped on Terran Pettaway when he was down on the court and then gave him a pretty severe elbow to the face. That player then got up and gave a little wink to Greg McDermott. Pretty dirty play! I am sure many on this board will remember that. He was a 6th year senior or something like that and I lost a lot of respect for McDermott and the blue jays that day! 

Destroy? Maybe not, but I am predicting a win for the Huskers in Omaha this year! 

It was G***t G***s.

Man, I've seen (and made) the predictions about NU being able to compete, or the tides of the rivalry were turning, or Creighton wasn't going to be able to keep this up, etc... for roughly 15 years now and things just don't change. So, until they do on the court, I'm not predicting NU to win in Omaha. There's really no excuse for the futility NU's shown vs. the Jays this century.

The only time we've won at the CLINK it was the QWEST and it was a Barry Collier led NIT team.  At this point I'd believe that MacD's team beat Miles in the 3 legged race at the last Miles family reunion. Simply winning in any sort of fashion would qualify as destroy at this point. Adding Copeland and having three games prior against BC, MSU, and Minny certainly helps I think but boy let's play the first 5 minutes without needing to change our underwear and go from there.