No news is good news

75unlgrad

Everyday I search the Omaha World Herald and the husker internet sites for any information on the husker basketball players.  I want to read stories about the players.  I am disappointed almost daily.  

But as I look at it in perspective, I know that 'no news is good news.'  No news means that no one transferred.  No news means that everyone has their grades in order and are eligible this season.  No news means no new injuries.  No news means that no one was arrested.  No news during the summer is good news.  No news means everyone is on campus participating in the workouts and getting ready for the upcoming season.  

And I know that the summer is over and basketball season is right around the corner.  And when the news is about the Huskers, I know it will only be good news.

I wish there was at least one article every couple weeks on some kind of practice/summer workout report on the team. Who looks good, who looks like they improved, who we should maybe temper expectations on. Really anything. Now that actual football season is here the opportunity for that ship has sailed, but I felt like the last month was nothing but the same thing regarding fall football practice and more preseason hype. It can't be that hard to send one reporter to one practice and just jot down what they see in a column, rather than us relying on rumors on here or a tweet from Lee or Kent telling us talent looks like its improved and that's about it.

That being said......cant wait for the game Saturday. GBR!!!!

Here is some nice news... By the way this now leads me to a question.  It seems like we are always in on guys early and make a late push towards the Rivals 150.  So my would you rather question for the day is....

Would you rather sign a kid who we offered outside the top 150 and he lands in the bottom 50 at the end ORRRR...... a kid who was once top 50 to top 100 and finished in the bottom 50 our outside the top 150?

Not sure I understand the question.  What is the bottom 50?  Like the players ranked 1-50?

If bottom 50 means terrible player, then I don't think it matters.

FWIW, Jacob Hammond had, at one point, cracked the Rivals 150.  He didn't end up there and he ended up, as a sophomore, not being able to beat out an unranked true freshman (MIchael Jacobson) for the starting center job.  That sure suggests he wasn't top 150 material.  Does it make me think he's a better player owing to the fact that he was once in the top 150?  Probably only at the time he signs his LOI.

After that, it's all about what he does on the floor.

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not sure I understand the question.  What is the bottom 50?  Like the players ranked 1-50?

If bottom 50 means terrible player, then I don't think it matters.

FWIW, Jacob Hammond had, at one point, cracked the Rivals 150.  He didn't end up there and he ended up, as a sophomore, not being able to beat out an unranked true freshman (MIchael Jacobson) for the starting center job.  That sure suggests he wasn't top 150 material.  Does it make me think he's a better player owing to the fact that he was once in the top 150?  Probably only at the time he signs his LOI.

After that, it's all about what he does on the floor.

Let me rephrase... would you rather have a player who was outside the top 150 when we started recruiting/when he committed and then he moved into the #100-#150 spots.  OR....... would you rather have someone who was #1-100 when we started recruiting/when he committed and then he drops into the #100-150 range our even out of top 150.

The worst news in the last 3 months

1. Copeland maybe isn't eligible until the 2nd semester though realistically since he transferred mid-semester he shouldn't be.

2. Anton Gill is coming back slower than expected from his injury

3. We didn't fill our 13th scholarship

4. Ali moved to another program

I'm not sure the last two belong on this list. It's been great.

On 8/30/2017 at 9:17 AM, OmahaHusker said:

I wish there was at least one article every couple weeks on some kind of practice/summer workout report on the team. Who looks good, who looks like they improved, who we should maybe temper expectations on. Really anything. Now that actual football season is here the opportunity for that ship has sailed, but I felt like the last month was nothing but the same thing regarding fall football practice and more preseason hype. It can't be that hard to send one reporter to one practice and just jot down what they see in a column, rather than us relying on rumors on here or a tweet from Lee or Kent telling us talent looks like its improved and that's about it.

That being said......cant wait for the game Saturday. GBR!!!!

I've said this elsewhere, but a media outlet can't just "send a reporter to practice." Nebraska's practices are mostly closed. The lack of the content you want isn't because the media is lazy, it's because the coaches don't open practices or hold regular press conferences, and therefore there isn't much for us to write about.

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I've said this elsewhere, but a media outlet can't just "send a reporter to practice." Nebraska's practices are mostly closed. The lack of the content you want isn't because the media is lazy, it's because the coaches don't open practices or hold regular press conferences, and therefore there isn't much for us to write about.

It sounds like you need to start working on your basketball skills, make the team as a walk-on, and get us the inside scoop. Thanks in advance. ;)

On 9/2/2017 at 1:17 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

Thanks Jacob. Not saying the media is lazy was just saying how all the effort is put on football even when there isn't much to report from fall practices for those couple weeks before the first kick off. I understand the priorities when it comes to sports in the state tho. Thanks for clearing a lot of that up for me.